d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Need Some Guitar Equipment Help. Downsizing Amp? > Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Sep 15 2010 05:14pm
Hey guys, I have been having some minor difficulties with my amp. ( Peavey Valkveking 100w Head + Cab ). Through this amp i run a Gibson Les Paul Standard and the clean has been VERY RINGY. The amp has a "Bright" feature on it, and even with it off its still just as ringy. Also this amp has pretty weak distortion, I have been thinking of getting pedals but I could never seem to find the one that is right for what I play, and what other peoples reviews agree on.

I really want to use the Les Paul to its full potential, and i don't this amp is going to cut it. Personally I think this amp is too big and loud. This thing is jamable on 2 MAXIMUM of 3, and thats blaring loud. I usually practice/play songs on a decent- not even loud setting. I also play in a band, we have a unique style of Metal/Alt, which is why i want a hard distortion, and good clean as well. Within the next month we plan to play some shows as well. I play a bunch of stuff like Metallica, BFMV, System.

For the exact specs i want this amp to cover would be :

- I have been thinking of a Marshall?
- Being big/loud enough to play a show.
- Have a heavy distortion channel.
- Be a 2x12 - because i believe hal-fstacks are too big.

Also, If the amp you suggest lacks some distortion, but has a good clean, I don't mind pedals. So name some.

I don't have a problem with reselling this amp, if you think that I would be wasting my time. But if for some reason you insist on me keeping the thing i'll maybe consider.

Gold: 4,807.80
Sep 16 2010 02:23am
A chorus pedal does wonders for a clean sound, and I recommend the Boss MetalCore pedal. I have it, and I fuckin love it. I can find a great sound for Lamb of God and Slayer, then switch it all down to find a warm Stevie/Clapton clean sound.

As far as the ringing goes, could just be the amp is on it's way to the scrap yard, but never fear! Marshall have some seriously badass combo amps around which pack a hell-of-a-punch for the money and size.
If you absolutely won't stop using cab&head, then simply get a Marshall MG head. Less than $200/£150 used, I have found mine to be well worth it with an awesome built in effect, chorus delay! The hours of fun because of delay lol xD
Gold: 25.00
Sep 16 2010 01:15pm
before you kick the valve king have you though of using a power attenuator? i used a marshall power brake for the longest time until i started using lower wattage heads. it will help you get that awesome cranked tube tone while staying at lower volumes. as for a distortion pedal i LOVE the electro harmonix metal muff, it has amazing distortion as well as being full analog w/ true bypass which helps keep the tone of your guitar stay true.

This post was edited by MyExitEmergency on Sep 16 2010 01:18pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll