d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Started Playing Guitar Today.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 171.00
Trader: Trusted
Aug 30 2010 06:11pm
I plan on taking lessons, but not quite yet.
Any websites you know or tips you know to learn reading music tabs?
Gold: 640.00
Aug 30 2010 07:31pm
I started at the same time as my friend; he practices more than me by about threefold and he went out and bought various materials (books, movies, etc.) to assist him, yet I'm able to play more fluently than he.

Before you take this as a stroke of my e-peen, I'd just like to say that I said that as a precursor for this statement that materials aren't necessary to learn. For some people they help, but for others (such as myself) it can be learned solo.

What's helped me is sorta backtracking; I found a song I thought was simple yet I enjoyed listening to, set that as a goal to learn, then backtracked from there to learn chords, technical terms, etc. It's worked for me, but I'm no expert so perhaps you may want to wait for a more proficient person to post.

As for reading tabs the numbers represent the fret and the lines are the strings, top to bottom. Elephants And Dogs Get Big Ears is the way I remember.
Gold: 25.00
Aug 30 2010 08:16pm
Quote (Jeesusss @ Aug 30 2010 06:31pm)
I started at the same time as my friend; he practices more than me by about threefold and he went out and bought various materials (books, movies, etc.) to assist him, yet I'm able to play more fluently than he.

Before you take this as a stroke of my e-peen, I'd just like to say that I said that as a precursor for this statement that materials aren't necessary to learn. For some people they help, but for others (such as myself) it can be learned solo.

What's helped me is sorta backtracking; I found a song I thought was simple yet I enjoyed listening to, set that as a goal to learn, then backtracked from there to learn chords, technical terms, etc. It's worked for me, but I'm no expert so perhaps you may want to wait for a more proficient person to post.

As for reading tabs the numbers represent the fret and the lines are the strings, top to bottom. Elephants And Dogs Get Big Ears is the way I remember.

thats hard to remember, when I started playing 16 years ago I used Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie
Gold: 1,555.00
Aug 30 2010 10:41pm
The best way to learn songs is to get guitar pro.
Then you go on www.ultimate-guitar.com
just type the song/band you wish and you should get the tabs right away
You can also use it to play along the song/take out the guitar you play and play with the drum/bass/2nd guit etc
Gold: 160.50
Aug 31 2010 02:43am
Quote (Jeesusss @ Aug 31 2010 03:31am)

I taught myself how to play electric bass in that same way. I researched several songs on Blood Sugar Sex Magik (RHCP). First I tried to play them by ear, then I looked up some info on tabs etc. Still, I'm no Flea, but this method has helped me a lot!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll