d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Help Acoustic Guitar
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Banned
Gold: Locked
Aug 18 2010 07:00pm
When I strum the thickest string on my acoustic guitar...midway thru it makes a rattle sound like the string is hitting the fretboard
o.o?

This post was edited by Pehh on Aug 18 2010 07:18pm
Banned
Aug 18 2010 08:12pm
and the second thickest sometimes rattles too if i strum hard
Gold: 0.00
Aug 18 2010 09:46pm
Quote (Pehh @ Aug 19 2010 02:12am)
and the second thickest sometimes rattles too if i strum hard

You probably strumming too hard or the string are old. you should maybe change em
Banned
Aug 19 2010 12:32am
Quote (Gxy @ Aug 18 2010 08:46pm)
You probably strumming too hard or the string are old. you should maybe change em

i just bought the guitar and it was shipped to me yesterady though o.o?

If I strum each individual string, I am able to get a nice sound lasting 7 - 10 seconds
If I try to strum all strings, I hit too hard and it rattles a bit BUT if i try to hit softer i will miss some strings like the G etc

This post was edited by Pehh on Aug 19 2010 12:34am
Gold: 1.00
Aug 19 2010 12:55am
Your action is too low. Meaning your strings are too close to the fretboard and do not have room to vibrate without hitting the frets and rattling.easiest way to raise your action would be to replace the saddle (which is the piece of plastic/bone that is slid into the body of the guitar where the strings come out) with a taller one. But seeing as you just bought it, I would call them up and tell them your problem and ask them to raise it for you (or send you a new one that has a higher action). Typically companies try to make customers most happy within the first 30 days of a purchase. For future reference, the best way to buy a guitar is to go to a guitar store and try them out to find the one before you buy it. That way you can hear how it sounds before you buy it, and you can see if the action is too high/too low for you. PS: when you raise you're action it will become a lot harder to hold the strings down. However you get used to it.
Gold: 60.01
Aug 19 2010 01:01am
Quote (PSPZorZ @ 19 Aug 2010 09:55)
Your action is too low. Meaning your strings are too close to the fretboard and do not have room to vibrate without hitting the frets and rattling.easiest way to raise your action would be to replace the saddle (which is the piece of plastic/bone that is slid into the body of the guitar where the strings come out) with a taller one. But seeing as you just bought it, I would call them up and tell them your problem and ask them to raise it for you (or send you a new one that has a higher action). Typically companies try to make customers most happy within the first 30 days of a purchase. For future reference, the best way to buy a guitar is to go to a guitar store and try them out to find the one before you buy it. That way you can hear how it sounds before you buy it, and you can see if the action is too high/too low for you. PS: when you raise you're action it will become a lot harder to hold the strings down. However you get used to it.

Vouch for all this.

Pehh, you can try a temporary solution; Try pulling the pin up holding the string @ bridge, but only a little. If you pull too much, the string falls off, naturally.
This should raise the string a little bit (1-2 millimetres only!!!), and fix the problem. Anyway, dont use this as permanent solution ^^
Banned
Aug 19 2010 01:13am
So my guitar is faulty?
I checked the reviews for them and like 47 people gave 5stars and like 3 gave 4stars

I have to send this back for a new one?

EDIT: Been reading and Since this is a Beginner's guitar, I think it is supposed to have a low action so my fingers wont die on me... maybe thats how they intended it to be? i dunno lol
should i still get this fixed or just leave as is

This post was edited by Pehh on Aug 19 2010 01:23am
Aug 19 2010 02:13am
It is in no way "faulty". And you don't have to send it back if u don't want to, just play softer. Every guitarist plays their guitar in a different way. Some strum very softly (and low action would be perfect for them) and others strum harder and need to have higher action to avoid buzz. It is not "fixing" the guitar its just customizing it. Most instruments that musicians buy will not be perfectly set up for them at first. I think its a given that because it is a beginners guitar, they set the action low so it would be easier to play, but that doesn't mean you can't ask them to raise it is u want to be able to strum harder. More experienced musicians would probably raise the action on their own, but bc u are a beginner I just suggest you don't try to do it yourself and see if they will do it for you. What company did u order it from btw? I really don't know if the company will raise your action or not, but ithe company knows that in the first 30 days, if you seem like your not happy with your product, u can always return it, so its worth asking.

Think of it this way:
You order a cheeseburger somewhere, but you do not like onions. They put onions on it so u ask them for a new one without onions. Maybe you don't like onions but that doesn't mean the burger is "faulty", just something you wouldn't like. It works fine (for other people). Sorry this is the best analogy I could come up with, you can probably tell I should get some rest asap. (:

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Aug 19 2010 02:18am
Banned
Aug 19 2010 02:22am
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Aug 19 2010 01:13am)
It is in no way "faulty". And you don't have to send it back if u don't want to, just play softer. Every guitarist plays their guitar in a different way. Some strum very softly (and low action would be perfect for them) and others strum harder and need to have higher action to avoid buzz. It is not "fixing" the guitar its just customizing it. Most instruments that musicians buy will not be perfectly set up for them at first. I think its a given that because it is a beginners guitar, they set the action low so it would be easier to play, but that doesn't mean you can't ask them to raise it is u want to be able to strum harder. More experienced musicians would probably raise the action on their own, but bc u are a beginner I just suggest you don't try to do it yourself and see if they will do it for you. What company did u order it from btw? I really don't know if the company will raise your action or not, but ithe company knows that in the first 30 days, if you seem like your not happy with your product, u can always return it, so its worth asking.

Think of it this way:
You order a cheeseburger somewhere, but you do not like onions. They put onions on it so u ask them for a new one without onions. Maybe you don't like onions but that doesn't mean the burger is "faulty", just something you wouldn't like. It works fine (for other people). Sorry this is the best analogy I could come up with, you can probably tell I should get some rest asap. (:

Ah okay
Well it is like $100 to ship it back :cry: and I kinda like to strum it hard but I'll just learn how to strum softer
I appreciate the help ;)
http://www.andysmusiconline.com/products/yamaha_fg700s.html <-- I purchased it here

This post was edited by Pehh on Aug 19 2010 02:23am
Aug 19 2010 02:26am
Also, if you were to replace the strings with some thicker ones, it could possibly reduce/expel the buzz completely. The string buzzes when it is able to vibrate so hard that it hits the frets, this is due to hard strumming. However with thicker strings (look for medium gauge strings) the increased string tension does not allow the strings to move as close to the fretboard. I hope this makes sense I'm very tired (:

And remember, you can always take it upon yourself to raise the action in the future. A new saddle will cost a few bucks and you can place a taller one where the current one is at any time.

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Aug 19 2010 02:28am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll