d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Considering Beginning Guitar > Thoughts?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,110.60
Aug 5 2010 06:16am
so i'm 19, it's currently summer and i'm waiting to return to college, and i've realized that i really want to pick up an instrument
in the earlier years of school, i always enjoyed drumming, and wish i had a drum set so bad
drums are quite expensive, however, and my sister (who is in another province doing research work) left a guitar behind, which she hasn't touched in years

i'm quite impatient when it comes to learning curves, i can't read music, and i don't know the difference in sound between ABCDEFG

approximately how long would it take me to be able to pick it up and be able to play based on tabs?
obviously techniques and speed/accuracy will come with practice, but i'm more concerned with the very basics

if i did go through with this, where would be the best place to start?
i'm a huge metal guy, and so i'd be trying to jump into the most complex guitar work as soon as possible
Gold: 13,891.00
Aug 5 2010 12:38pm
IF all you want is to learn a couple songs to play around a camp fire (lol) or somethin then go to www.ultimate-guitar.com and search any song you want it will give you tabs. Sometimes the tabs are a little off though. I suggest taking a couple lessons to at least learn the basics on music and see how you like that. Disclaimer: first month of guitar lessons are really boring lol. You will not be a pro at first. In face you will suck big time. Stick to it. It will take some time to get your brain and your fingers synced up. Guitar is a challenging instrument because there is so much technique to it. Use youtube lessons as well. GL
Gold: 60.01
Aug 5 2010 01:13pm
Quote (dude150 @ 5 Aug 2010 15:16)
approximately how long would it take me to be able to pick it up and be able to play based on tabs?

Are we supposed to know how fast you learn? ._.

if i did go through with this, where would be the best place to start?

From the basic notation, rhytmic basics etc. Get some lessons.
Gold: 16,894.22
Aug 6 2010 01:16pm
Quote (Stealth_7788 @ Aug 5 2010 06:38pm)
IF all you want is to learn a couple songs to play around a camp fire (lol) or somethin then go to www.ultimate-guitar.com and search any song you want it will give you tabs. Sometimes the tabs are a little off though. I suggest taking a couple lessons to at least learn the basics on music and see how you like that. Disclaimer: first month of guitar lessons are really boring lol. You will not be a pro at first. In face you will suck big time. Stick to it. It will take some time to get your brain and your fingers synced up. Guitar is a challenging instrument because there is so much technique to it. Use youtube lessons as well. GL

i disagree with this statement : first month of guitar lessons are really boring lol
first few months is one of the best because it was a challage,
and when you finally get a 'riff', its a bloody good feeling.

sure its gonna be stinking hard, dedication is the key word here.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 6 2010 01:40pm
Tabs are pretty easy to pick up. I wouldn't recommend trying to jump into advanced stuff. You'll have no idea about technique and it will discourage you. Dedicate some time to learning the basics, and it will pay off.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 6 2010 04:28pm
I'd suggest you to start looking here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/

Here is one of the lesson I'd recommend for you: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/babysteps_-_the_beginners_guide_to_guitar_part_1.html

This is only part 1, search for part 2, 3 and 4 after, because they are really helpful.
Gold: 0.20
Aug 7 2010 10:48am
ur best bet would be start start off with scales....
and keep playing them everyday for practice...
you'll learn the notes of the scale on the guitar...
get your synching together better...
you'll work on hand strength and speed
and then work on chords and disecting them into riffs...
and once you get a better understanding of the notes
you'll be where you want to be

oh and make sure you use a metronome...
look up free ones online and use those to get your counting down better
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll