d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Buying Guitar
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 173.00
Jul 17 2010 10:31pm
Let's get right to the point.
Getting a new guitar, lf your opinion
I'm lf certain specs
Maple neck, Maple or Ebony fretboard
Good stock pickups (Don't see the point in upgrading)
The bridge pickup should be a humbucker, the others I don't really care about
Something that will stay in tune
To sum everything up, I'm looking for a guitar with versatility and playability
So far the best option for me seems to be:
http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0119102759
but keep in mind I'm willing to explore other brands etc if you back up your opinion.
Thanks bros..
Gold: 12.00
Jul 17 2010 11:32pm
That'd be a gooder. Very versatile. You gotta spend some real money to get anything 'better.'
I vouch this well selected product.
Gold: 0.20
Jul 17 2010 11:43pm
in my opinion, fender is not a good guitar.... i dont like them... never had a good experience with them
Gold: 60.01
Jul 18 2010 09:56am
Quote (TFoG_Leader @ 18 Jul 2010 08:43)
in my opinion, fender is not a good guitar.... i dont like them... never had a good experience with them

Now this post is extremely relevant to topic, and is very helpful to the topic's creator.
Jul 18 2010 10:26am
Quote (TFoG_Leader @ Jul 18 2010 01:43am)

Elaborate on how you have never had a good experience with fender, and how it is not a "good" guitar. tbh I don't see how this is possible seeing as how long they've been around and how they are at par with gibson in terms of quality.
Professionals have used them for years. Not bashing you, just curious.

What would you suggest instead sir?
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jul 18 2010 11:09am
Are you looking for a fixed or trem bridge? Do you have any preference for scale length, pickup brand, or any other hardware? What about body/top woods? What styles of music do you play, what tuning(s) do you plan to use, what size of strings do you use?

Being open on any of these is fine, but it helps narrow down recommendations on what to look into.
Jul 18 2010 12:14pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Jul 18 2010 01:09pm)
Are you looking for a fixed or trem bridge?  Do you have any preference for scale length, pickup brand, or any other hardware?  What about body/top woods?  What styles of music do you play, what tuning(s) do you plan to use, what size of strings do you use?

Being open on any of these is fine, but it helps narrow down recommendations on what to look into.

I haven't really experiment too much in this area but I'm open to your opinons.

I would like a strat like bridge, not like a les paul. (Tell me if I'm using the wrong terminology)
Scale lengh... ugh I don't really know what's good for this area.
for Pickups Seymour duncan or Fender (or whatever good stock pickups) x guitar comes with
I play all sorts of genres but mainly Jazz (In my schools jazz band), Alternitive with my band, and occasionally metal. There is no genre I shy away from
I ussaully play in Drop D or Standerd nothing too low (sometimes drop c)
And I use 10-52 gauge strings or sometimes 9-42 depending on what kind of playing I like

Sorry if this is broad but I tried my best.
Gold: 12.00
Jul 18 2010 10:31pm
Hmmm... Jazz and alternative eh.

The thing about the noisless, mind you I haven't trid the N3's, but all the past Noisless p/u's have one thing in comon. They all sound compressed and the top end is 'artificial.' Almost like a piezo. The new ones are supposed to be better than ever though. The noisless are excellent if you're soloing in any rock formulated music, (country, rock, alternative, metal even if you use humbucker, anything with gain) and are quiet for recordings. Where they lack is in life. Because of thier compressed sound, they struggle with dynamic range and tone variation. I prefer alnico magnets on my p/u's and I play jazz voiced stuff alot and alternative music. Furthermore, most jazzers like vintage voiced humbuckers and these would be good for alternative rock too.

The strat is with out a doubt the most versatile guitar especially with the noisless but from the two main styles listed I would suggest looking into these two:

Vintage Hot Rod 52 Tele
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0100232850

American Standard HSS w/Maple Neck
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0110102747

All three of the guitars will play nice, stay in tune, the stock pickups are professional and they all have the maple neck. The tone from the Tele will sound nicest for Jazz, the Deluxe will have the largest selection of tones but I think the Standard will be the one that surprises in it's tone and variations.

As for trem systems, the strat trem will be solid enough for rhythm and decent for tunning issues. Plus you can wammy up and down respectively. The Tele will be fixed so tunning will stay put, but your again limited on tremolo. The floating bridges are a bit limited in their styles of play. I would only go with a floating trem if you're playing that style or lookming to do a lot of trem work in general. The problem with floaters is they constantly are in and out of tune. They're awesome for making wacky sounds and modulating delays. Great for solo ideas too. But they're restricted in rhythm styles and intonation durring play.

The guitar you picked is stil a front runner in my humble opinion, but it's worth comparing it to the standard.

One last thing pending on your budget. You'd never need a new guitar again:

http://www.mcinturffguitars.com/06-Guitars/Empress/EmpressSpec.asp

Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll