d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > I Been Reading And I Want To Keep My Guitar > In Good Condition
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,727.60
Jul 13 2010 12:47am
is it necessary to see a guitar technician or whatever frequently?

or just my careful usage enough?
Gold: 12.00
Jul 13 2010 12:56am
Once a year is good pending on your guitar. The constant strain on the guitar neck should be monitored. Even if you take your strings off, then the truss rod has no restraints and the neck will still warp. If you change your string gauges, you should have it set up each time that changes. Other than that, don't leave it next to the furnace vents, drafty windows, in water or out in the sun. You can always tell if it's too humid or too dry. If you're too humid, then your guitar is too humid. If you're dry, (winter) than your guitar is dry. It's wood. It wants to maintain a certain amount of moisture content, but too damp will warp it.

You kind of have to abuse it to break it. Most people who have problems, smoke around their guitars causing stains and electrical problems, or get wasted and get careless. Yoink cables out of the jacks or bang it into surroundings. Treat it with care and you should get 20 years easy.
Jul 13 2010 01:00am
Quote (Superchum @ Jul 13 2010 02:56am)
Once a year is good pending on your guitar. The constant strain on the guitar neck should be monitored. Even if you take your strings off, then the truss rod has no restraints and the neck will still warp. If you change your string gauges, you should have it set up each time that changes. Other than that, don't leave it next to the furnace vents, drafty windows, in water or out in the sun. You can always tell if it's too humid or too dry. If you're too humid, then your guitar is too humid. If you're dry, (winter) than your guitar is dry. It's wood. It wants to maintain a certain amount of moisture content, but too damp will warp it.

You kind of have to abuse it to break it. Most people who have problems, smoke around their guitars causing stains and electrical problems, or get wasted and get careless. Yoink cables out of the jacks or bang it into surroundings. Treat it with care and you should get 20 years easy.

well this guitar is already 17 years old so yea

i will treat it a lot better than my 100$ electric i got a hard case for it.
if it does warp i should bring it to a technician to fix'?
Gold: 12.00
Jul 13 2010 01:04am
Quote (bvdlord @ Jul 13 2010 02:00am)
well this guitar is already 17 years old so yea

i will treat it a lot better than my 100$ electric i got a hard case for it.
if it does warp i should bring it to a technician to fix'?

Yea. At 17 years though, if it's 'wavey' or back bowed, might be too expensive to fix. See what the tech says.
Gold: 400.00
Jul 13 2010 07:58am
17 years old guitar is a trophy, dont let it waste.
Jul 13 2010 10:11pm
well i just bought it from guitar center and it sounds so fucking good

too bad my amp was 100$$ and shitty for such a beauty
Gold: 4,807.80
Jul 14 2010 12:19pm
I'm buying a 67 Fender Mustang soon :D
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jul 14 2010 01:02pm
The frequency of your visits to a guitar tech should depend on how much you can do yourself. I learned a lot working on starter guitars, and I can do everything from completely redoing electronics to intonating/setting action height accurately on top and bottom at three different frets, replacing hardware such as the machine heads and nut, and nearly everything else I could need to do. The only thing I have needed to go to a guitar tech/luthier for is refretting on an older guitar. I beat up my guitars while playing them and I have one that is over 25 years old, but I store and maintain them properly and they are fine. As long as you understand the mechanics of how bad things happen to guitars and how to prevent them, then you will be fine - if you are not confident, then check with a guitar tech and ask some questions about what you need to do to maintain it on your own.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll