d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Question About 7/8 String Guitars > Need Some Opinions
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jul 8 2010 10:00am
I want to get a 7 string guitar or even possibly an 8 string because it seems like there's no drawback to having one and you just get an extra string (or two). I've tried a schecter omen-7 before for a very brief period at the store and it seemed ok and didn't really hinder my ability to play but it was just for a little while so idk if it would in the long run make it harder to play certain things.

As far as sound goes I already downtune 6 strings a lot so 7 would just make it easier on me.

Any opinions from other guitarists out there on 7/8 strings? Is it significantly harder to play? Is it much harder to find good pickups/upgrades to the point where it would suck or are they findable? and are there solid models you guys can recommend? thanks :)

btw I plan to get this for a metal band so the style of music i wanna play with this guitar specifically is metal.

Sup, Cole.
Jul 8 2010 10:49am
I've tried a 7 string once or twice and I gotta say that after 5 years of playing on a 6 string, getting an extra one really is really making things harder for your mind, since you're used to certain patterns.

I personally do not own a 7 string, but I'd recommend the Jeff Loomis schecter signature or the John Petrucci musicman signature. As far as pickups/upgrades go, I'm pretty sure that if you have a good local music store, they should take care of it, and even then you can just get your pickups by internet.

That's pretty much the only advice I can give and if anyone spots anything wrong, please correct me.
Gold: 25.00
Jul 8 2010 11:40am
Unless you are dropping to b or lower don't get a 7 string, they normally come setup in b.... If you like playing in drop c stick to a 6 string with heavier gauge strings nn for another guitar

Oh and drawbacks to 7-8 strings
much wider neck
more expensive strings with less options
say goodbye to standard e tuning, they are only made for extremely dropped tunings

This post was edited by MyExitEmergency on Jul 8 2010 11:43am
Jul 8 2010 12:19pm
The neck is literally the size of like 2 baseball bats. I hate it
Jul 8 2010 01:01pm
hmm interesting input, i find it sort of weird because i don't have big hands and when i played that 7 string, at least for the short time i did, the size of the neck didn't bother me, I was able to bar chords and everything

as far as tuning/sound and what i would use a 7 string goes, i don't really need advice or anything i know i want one i was just wondering if the thicker neck/lack of pickup options causes a big problem
Gold: 2.34
Jul 8 2010 01:55pm
I've got a 7-string, and I <3 it. I went with the Ibanez S7320, and the width of the neck was barely noticeable, to me. Just felt right.
Jul 9 2010 12:12am
alright ty, I guess i'll just try some out at the store for a long period of time and see if they ever feel awkward for me. I think the 8th string is just overdoing it, but i legitly need a 7 string.
Gold: 60.01
Jul 9 2010 02:26am
I have Dean Razorback 7-string, and a Wolf KS-70 7-string.

After i got my first seven, it was allways hard to play with only six strings, because something was allways missing. (the seventh string, obviously)
Depending on your music style, you might want to consider you tunings. 7-strings are in standard E tuning, unless dropped down. That would be D tuning in 6 strings, and A-tuning with 7 strings.
In case you use tunings like dropped C, 6 string would be you choice.

I didnt want to choose, so i have one 7 for standard tuning, one for dropped A, and a 6-stringer for drop C.

In my opinion its not about the size of the neck. I have fairly short fingers, but however i got used to wider neck pretty fast. IMO the neck profile matters more than the width, for thats what makes the feeling of the guitar personal for everyone.
My Razorback has EMG 707 active-pickups. I havent had a situation where i would have needed better pickups. Ever. Vica versa, sometimes i've had trouble with speakersystems, for the 707s are a bit too hot for some of the soundsystems.
In case you need a replacement, there is actually a plenty of pickups to choose. They are fairly expensive in comparison with regular pickups, but imo they are worth it.
Ibanez and EMG both have at least 3-4 models, and Seymour Duncan has at least 6 models, all for 7-string guitars. I think you find something suitable for yourself ;)

//Of, and btw dont forget to check out the 7-string forum: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/

This post was edited by Rupsu on Jul 9 2010 02:28am
Gold: 60.01
Jul 11 2010 12:34am
List of 7-string pickups

Bare knuckle pickups:

* Stormy monday HB
* The Mule HB
* Warpig HB
* Steve Stevens - "Rebel Yell" HB
* NailBomb HB
* Painkiller HB
* PG Blues HB
* Black Dog HB
* Miracle Man HB
* Holy Diver HB
* VH II HB
* Riff Raff HB
* Emerald HB
* Geoff Whitehorn - "Crawler" HB
* Cold Sweat HB
* Abraxas HB

DiMarzio:

* Blaze
* Blaze custom
* Blaze middle
* Blaze neck
* Paf7
* Air Norton7
* Tone Zone7
* Evolution7
* D Sonic7
* D Activator7 Neck
* D Activator7 Bridge
* X2N7

EMG

* 81-7
* 60-7

Lundgren

* M7

Seymour Duncan

* 59-7
* Jazz-7
* JB-7
* Custom-7
* Distortion-7
* Invader-7
* Blackouts-7 emg
* Duncan Custom Shop

Rio Grande Pickups:

* Muy Grande 7
Gold: 0.70
Jul 11 2010 03:00am
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ Jul 9 2010 05:40am)
say goodbye to standard e tuning,  they are only made for extremely dropped tunings

hmm? most 7string songs in my experience are completely e-standard. the normal 6 strings retain the same tuning, you just have an extra string that goes much lower
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll