d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Would This Blow My Sound Card? > Idk...
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 70%
Jun 7 2010 02:05pm
okay... i plugged a PA system into my computer, because its sound quality is amazing.

i wanted the output of the PA system to go back into the computer as input, so when i plugged a microphone in the computer, i could play music, sing along, and record it at the same time.

let me make a diagram (someone repost this for me)

[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/2zit3zl.jpg[/img]

once i turned the PA on and talked in the mic, i heard a really loud POP and my computer shut down.

i have no more sound.

what happened?
Gold: 102.17
Jun 11 2010 02:04pm
Quote (UntilAdalia @ 7 Jun 2010 16:05)
okay... i plugged a PA system into my computer, because its sound quality is amazing.

i wanted the output of the PA system to go back into the computer as input, so when i plugged a microphone in the computer, i could play music, sing along, and record it at the same time.

let me make a diagram (someone repost this for me)

once i turned the PA on and talked in the mic, i heard a really loud POP and my computer shut down.

i have no more sound.

what happened?

yw
Gold: 7,065.69
Jun 11 2010 02:11pm
probably short circuited or summin, dono
Gold: 12.00
Jun 11 2010 05:25pm
What happened was you prolly blew something up good. The outputs from your PA are sending a low impedance signal of however many watts, (50-1000 Somewhere between there I'm guessing.) You sent that to your Speaker 1, good, which then sent it to Speaker 2, that's good too, but ugh oh... you then sent it to the computer in. The computer in is most likely looking for a high impedence signal from a CD player or keyboard or microphone or guitar, not an amplified signal from a power amp. So you sent 50-1000Watts of power into a reciprocal expecting about <.1watts. That's bad when that happens.

The best way to do this is run from the microphone into your computer via soundcard, then into the PA then out the speakers.

The next best would be Microphone into a channel on the PA, send that signal out an AUX to the computer, send the computer signal into the PA and then out to the speakers.

There's no need to go back to the computer from the speakers. If you want to record this performance (there's a few ways of doing it,) mic up the speakers, send that mic directly to the computer but make sure where ever it's getting recorded to, isn't assigned to an output.

Tough luck dood. I'm guessing somethin's dead though. :(

Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll