d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Any Brass Players Around? > There Must Be More Thank Just Guitarists
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,455.00
Jun 5 2010 05:03am
Just looking around, there doesnt seem to be much more than guitarists here
Wondering if we have any budding brass players around, for general discussion etc. etc. :)

Couple of things id like opinions on:
1. Being 14, ive recently been told im having braces fitted. I managed to get them postponed til after Grade 7 exam in a few weeks time. To be honest, i think im screwed - wont be able play for shit with them on, and by the time theyre off ill be into A Levels and will have little time. I dont think ill be able to do my Grade 8 now, so thats the end of that really :(
My question is, however, how is playing with braces on? I understand it affects stamina and range mainly, but how much?

2. Lacquer. I play a Model 37 Bach Stradivarius, and its getting fairly old - most of the lacquer has worn to a dull finish right down the leadpipe and all the way down one side of the bell, as well as other spots elsewhere. Is it worth re-finishing? Or does it affect the tone and feel of the instrument whilst costing loads?

3.Pieces!! For my grade 7 in around 3 weeks i have 3 main pieces, but cannot for the life of me find a decent recording. The pieces are: 'Funk' by Allen Vizzuti, 'Prelude 18' by Shostakovitch, and 'Buster Strikes Back' from Morrison. Wondering if anyone has a decent quality recording i can use as a reference?

Answers, kit-posting or general discussion appreciated :)

As a side-note, any of you Trombonists out there heard of Simon Hogg?

edit:
I also play the drums, so opinions on a White Ludwig Element 6pc (100th Anniversary = free extra tom!) for an amateur drummer looking to grade 8 next year? Also stick choices for you people, but dont spam up this thread with drums as theres plenty of threads for that :)

This post was edited by Titch on Jun 5 2010 05:06am
Jun 12 2010 08:34am
Bump'd?
Gold: 2.57
Jun 12 2010 12:38pm
I played the Trombone in middle school and early high school. Pretty easy instrument to learn.

sorry I can't answer any of your questions.

This post was edited by wh0racLe on Jun 12 2010 12:40pm
Gold: 65.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 12 2010 05:14pm
Hey Titch.
Can't answer any of your questions but the first, which is exactly what happened to me. Couldn't play with the braces, so I had to stop and I haven't had the time to play it again seriously ever since. Kinda sad :(
Btw, can you upload the sheet music to one of these pieces you play, so I can see how hard it is ?

This post was edited by SeaKitten on Jun 12 2010 05:15pm
Jun 13 2010 04:34am
Quote (SeaKitten @ 13 Jun 2010 00:14)
Hey Titch.
Can't answer any of your questions but the first, which is exactly what happened to me. Couldn't play with the braces, so I had to stop and I haven't had the time to play it again seriously ever since. Kinda sad :(
Btw, can you upload the sheet music to one of these pieces you play, so I can see how hard it is ?

Ahh unlucky mate :/ My teacher said he's known people with braces who are still really good, like can reach top C's etc. even with the limited range+stamina problems but idk if that means i would have to practice tons with it :(
What were the main problems that you actually felt with it?

Sure :) Just gimme a while to find it :D
Gold: 0.00
Jun 13 2010 09:46am
hey titch
im a brass player as well, specializing on coronet and flugelhorn
braces will fuck you up seriously :(
your stamina will be affected greatly, as well as your pitch, you wont be able to get up to those higher notes :(
best thing you can do is practice as much as you can with your braces on and hope for the best
there still are many great brass players with braces, but it took them a while to get used to having braces :)
best of luck with the braces, and keep playing <3
Jun 13 2010 10:10am
Quote (vezo @ 13 Jun 2010 16:46)
hey titch
im a brass player as well, specializing on coronet and flugelhorn
braces will fuck you up seriously :(
your stamina will be affected greatly, as well as your pitch, you wont be able to get up to those higher notes :(
best thing you can do is practice as much as you can with your braces on and hope for the best
there still are many great brass players with braces, but it took them a while to get used to having braces :)
best of luck with the braces, and keep playing <3

ah this is what i feared :/
Thanks for your help though mate
Ill stick at it :)
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll