d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Help On Buying A Guitar
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 53.50
May 15 2010 02:26pm
Hey, I'm looking to buy a long term acoustic guitar, so I'm really not looking into buying a new one for a while and I was wondering which one you guys could suggest for me. I've never played it before so I plan on learning one on the one I get, expensive or not. Thanks
Gold: 2.00
May 16 2010 10:04am
Quote (RecenT @ May 15 2010 11:26pm)
Hey, I'm looking to buy a long term acoustic guitar, so I'm really not looking into buying a new one for a while and I was wondering which one you guys could suggest for me. I've never played it before so I plan on learning one on the one I get, expensive or not. Thanks

Fender Telecoustic
or if u like Ibanez than i suggest something from that... they make good guitars too
Gold: 25.00
May 16 2010 12:36pm
Quote (silsiller @ May 16 2010 09:04am)
Fender Telecoustic
or if u like Ibanez than i suggest something from that... they make good guitars too

for acoustic please don't get a pos telecoustic or ibanez

Look into any model Taylor or Martin over $500 (this will get you into the solid wood ones, not just solid tops with the laminate sides and backs)

or even the epiphone MASTERBUILT series (don't get any other than the masterbuilt series) I have one of the Epiphone AJ500 Masterbuilt, they are ALL wood acoustics which is very important in tone wise, it will also sound better as the wood matures, unlike cheaper acoustics which have laminate tops or sides and backs, which actually will sound worse with age, since the laminate doesn't age well.

Make sure with something like the Epiphone Masterbuilt, or any solid wood acoustic make sure you get a nice case humidifier or even just make sure the humidity is proper in the room since this will effect the sound of your acoustic quite a lot.

This post was edited by Sega on May 16 2010 12:37pm
May 16 2010 06:11pm
Quote (Sega @ May 16 2010 06:36pm)
for acoustic please don't get a pos telecoustic or ibanez

Look into any model Taylor or Martin over $500 (this will get you into the solid wood ones, not just solid tops with the laminate sides and backs)

or even the epiphone MASTERBUILT series (don't get any other than the masterbuilt series)  I have one of the Epiphone AJ500 Masterbuilt, they are ALL wood acoustics which is very important in tone wise, it will also sound better as the wood matures, unlike cheaper acoustics which have laminate tops or sides and backs, which actually will sound worse with age, since the laminate doesn't age well.

Make sure with something like the Epiphone Masterbuilt, or any solid wood acoustic make sure you get  a nice case humidifier or even just make sure the humidity is proper in the room since this will effect the sound of your acoustic quite a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMe_1oL8tg

I'm looking for something like this, or better. But, if you can suggest me multiple guitars and link them to me, please do so.
May 17 2010 05:45pm
Up :(
Gold: 12.00
May 18 2010 11:06am
Yamaha L Series is unbeatable in a dollar for dollar comparison and the proof is in the pudding. LL6 is awesome for the money. You have to spend $1500+ to get a better sounding guitar and unless you know what you want, don't buy a guitar that expensive.
Gold: 0.00
May 18 2010 11:06am
Just go out and try some different guitars, and choose the one which feels best ;)

Remember this, it is almost right every time:
The cheapers brands expensive guitars is better than the expensive brands cheap guitars. If you understand ;)

Example:
If you got 1000$ and you got 2 guitar to choose between, a Martin and a Washburn, then the Washburn is better, because you pay for the name, when you buy Martin or something like that

Good luck ;)
May 18 2010 11:53am
Quote (mafai @ May 18 2010 05:06pm)
Just go out and try some different guitars, and choose the one which feels best ;)

Remember this, it is almost right every time:
The cheapers brands expensive guitars is better than the expensive brands cheap guitars. If you understand ;)

Example:
If you got 1000$ and you got 2 guitar to choose between, a Martin and a Washburn, then the Washburn is better, because you pay for the name, when you buy Martin or something like that

Good luck ;)

So basicly you're telling me that the Brand is what costs more, but that does not necessarily mean the guitar itself is better?
How would I be able to differentiate from this when I'm looking around?
Gold: 6,050.23
May 18 2010 01:34pm
Alverez aren't bad.
Gold: 12.00
May 18 2010 04:04pm
Quote (RecenT @ May 18 2010 12:53pm)
So basicly you're telling me that the Brand is what costs more, but that does not necessarily mean the guitar itself is better?
How would I be able to differentiate from this when I'm looking around?

Materials, craftsmanship and aesthetics. Those are your price variables as well as marketing.

Materials: Wood, grade of wood, hardware, brand of hardware, materials in the hardware. Examples are Mahogany<Rosewood<Solid Rosewood, or Spruce<Solid Spruce<AAA Grade Solid Spruce. Capped Machine heads<Diecast. Plastic<Bone Saddles and nuts.

Craftsmanship: Machine Made vs. Hand made. What kind of Machine is making it? What kind of Man is making it! Taylor's cnc machinery is much more expensive than Corts ACME brand. Is this made by an American Luthier, or an American Line worker or a Chinese little boy?

Aesthetics: Type of bindings, abalone inlays in the fret board, around the sound hole. Colors and stains will be a bit more but you have to be careful with solid colors. They usually cheap out on the grades of wood on the solid color guitars ie, black.

Finally marketing. Martin and Gibson are nostalgic in acoustic guitars, so they tend to charge a higher premium simply for their history. Taylor is the self proclaimed #1 guitar builder so they charge more cause they're "The Best!" The other thing is everyone knows about materials, hardware and cosmetics. So what does a cheap manufacturer do? They put on all the things that are supposed to be on a good guitar. You can get a Waldon Guitar with a Solid top with diecast machine heads for $129. Just cause it has all the fixings doesn't mean its any good. Order a steak at a shit hole pub and order a steak from a steak house, there's a BIG difference.

I can give you 10 reasons why the Yamaha L series is head and shoulders above everything else listed but you really should go play everything to figure it out. Music is also so subjective and people are so opinionated, you can't really listen to anybody. Even yourself!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll