d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Funny Problem Haha > Picking
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 655.00
May 6 2010 05:00pm
So today I go to do a solo... but i find out that its a pentatonic scale with 2 notes per string.. I COULDNT DO IT!
ive been picking scales which are 3 notes per string for like 7 months now and now i cant even pick these pentatonic scales.
anyone else experience this and would like to share some tips to fix this?
Gold: 1.00
May 6 2010 05:11pm
Just takes some getting use to. If I am understanding you correctly you are just not used to the pentatonic scale where you use basically your pointer finger and pinky/ring finger for every string and it is throwing you off (: One reason why I would say the pentatonic scale might seem awkward when you are used to others (major) is because you are using the pinky a little more perhaps, or because you go straight from your pointer finger to your pinky finger. In a major scale, you put down your pointer finger, then another finger, before you put your pinky down, so there are two fingers already holding down the string and your pinky doesn't have to use so much strength. When doing the pentatonic, you go from your pointer finger to the pinky so fast that basically the pinky is holding down the string all on it's lonesome (: which may take some getting used to. Maybe I didn't explain this right but I've had a long day (:
Gold: 655.00
May 6 2010 05:22pm
thanks for the input
i find the problem with my right hand actually
im used to doing a down up down motion on the string... and now im just trying to do down up and i keep doing down up down haha
Gold: 2.00
May 7 2010 02:09pm
It's all about getting your hand used to it :)

This post was edited by Molle_fkk on May 7 2010 02:09pm
Gold: 60.01
May 7 2010 02:44pm
In long run, its actually faster and easier allways to pick down-up-down-up. You dont need to "think" or "know" what is the direction for the picking when changing strings, because you allways pick down-up-down-up.
I find it a lot easier that way, all i have to know is "what was the last direction for my right hand." In higher tempos (~220bpm+) the benefit is radical.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll