d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Setting Guitar Intonation > On Fender Strat
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 134.93
Trader: Trusted
Apr 21 2010 01:54am
Hey there,
Again im sitting on a little problem, with setting guitar intonation. I kind of understand how it works ect, but i need little guide with bridge and saddle.
I have tuned all 6 strings on my guitar, but intonation is out of tune (holding down string on 12th fret). If i move the saddle on lets say low E string, it wont go far/close enough that screw on bridge wouldnt come out, or wouldnt end before my saddle is set guitar to be tuned (talking about random string what might be too low or too high). Am i doing something wrong, or everything is correct atm and i should have moved saddles a bit, when strings wernt on?

This is how bridge looks like.

This post was edited by Kevin on Apr 21 2010 10:31am
Gold: 25.00
Apr 21 2010 11:04am
Its slightly hard to explain, a guide with pictures would be easier. But honestly even though I know how to properly set 12th fret intonation its a hell of a lot easierto spend 20-25 bucks and have a guitar tech do it for you, and once its set as long as you keep using the same gauge strings you won't have to reset it for quite a long time.

On another note I like your sig a lot man
Retired Moderator
Gold: 134.93
Trader: Trusted
Apr 21 2010 11:26am
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ 21 Apr 2010 19:04)
Its slightly hard to explain, a guide with pictures would be easier.  But honestly even though I know how to properly set 12th fret intonation its a hell of a lot easierto spend 20-25 bucks and have a guitar tech do it for you, and once its set as long as you keep using the same gauge strings you won't have to reset it for quite a long time.

On another note I like your sig a lot man

Alright, that is one way.. but i would still like to learn to do it myself ect :) Would it work if next time i change guitar strings, i could just remove the screw for a while and move the saddle more far and put screw back on.. I would have alot more room and change to fix it without string attached.. or would it still be close to impossible for an amateur?
So far D is slightly high (just a bit), G B and high e are totally fine.. Mainly concerned by E and A :/

I am considering profesional help/job, but u know.. practice makes perfect and ofc it doesnt hurt to learn.

Im always using same gauge guitar strings tho..atleast so far. Thanks for telling that it will stay fixed, if i manage to set the saddles, its very good to know that :)

And thanks for sig compliments :)

This post was edited by Pingers on Apr 21 2010 11:28am
Gold: 25.00
Apr 21 2010 12:30pm
Quote (Pingers @ Apr 21 2010 10:26am)
Alright, that is one way.. but i would still like to learn to do it myself ect :) Would it work if next time i change guitar strings, i could just remove the screw for a while and move the saddle more far and put screw back on.. I would have alot more room and change to fix it without string attached.. or would it still be close to impossible for an amateur?
So far D is slightly high (just a bit), G B and high e are totally fine.. Mainly concerned by E and A :/

I am considering profesional help/job, but u know.. practice makes perfect and ofc it doesnt hurt to learn.

Im always using same gauge guitar strings tho..atleast so far. Thanks for telling that it will stay fixed, if i manage to set the saddles, its very good to know that :)

And thanks for sig compliments :)

Have a tech explain it to you in person or really anyone in a local guitar store (not guitar center lol) they are normally kickass about helping

and no you need to do it with the strings on, just randomly changing the screw height and distance is kind of silly honestly :)
I had someone show me how to do it in person and it was the best way to learn.

My next guitar is going to be the one in your sig, his signature guitars are kickass. I currently have a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Mahogany w/ the burst bucker pros, a Gibson SG Standard w/ an all parts vibrola and a seymour duncan invader in the bridge, and I have the Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster in the Surf Green. I am debating whether to buy the Epiphone or Gibson version of his new ES-335 signature guitar.... I may end up getting the epi, because honestly they overpriced his gibson model quite a bit, although I am sure it will come down in price.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll