d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Begining Electric Guitar Gear > I Need Some Help Please.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.60
Mar 28 2010 11:40pm
Hey everyone,,

I've been playing acoustic guitar for approximately 5 years and I've had the urge to jump onto an electric. Since I've been playing acoustic for a while I didn't want to buy one of the terrible Starcaster starter kits or the Ibanez starter. I've already ordered my electric guitar, it's a Yamaha Pacifica 112v (I tested it out at my local music store and really liked it, plus the Old Violin Sunburst looks very sexy), and I'm just wondering which amp I should get. I'm really looking for a modeling amp and I'm torn between the Roland Micro Cube or the Peavey Vypyr 30. When I spoke to one of the owners at my local store, whom I've known for about 15 years(since I started playing saxophone at 8 years old), I was told to go with the Vypyr 30 since it's newer technology and has the stomp box effects but when I was playing my friend's Micro Cube it was pretty awesome(plus my room is incredibly small so the size factor gives it a small advantage). I've been doing a bunch of research on my own and I'm really leaning towards the Vypyr 30, due to having more options and control, but I'm just looking for some opinions.

Thanks everyone.
Gold: 25.00
Mar 29 2010 02:29pm
The type of advice you would get would vary greatly depending on your price range / whether you are ever going to want to play with a band / whether you actually care about your guitar tone or if you are indifferent and want a bunch of effects.
Gold: 4.60
Mar 29 2010 06:57pm
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ Mar 29 2010 03:29pm)
The type of advice you would get would vary greatly depending on your price range / whether you are ever going to want to play with a band / whether you actually care about your guitar tone or if you are indifferent and want a bunch of effects.

Which is exactly why I'm asking. I've done some research, and played with both amps today and liked how the Pacifica 112v sounded on them both. My price range is around $200 dollars for the amp and thats why the vypyr 30 is included instead of the Vypyr 15. At the moment the purpose of me getting the amp and guitar is for personal enjoyment. Being almost 23 and graduation from college in May, a band isn't in the near future. The store I'm getting the guitar gave me prices on the Mircro Cube and the Vypyr 30. The Micro Cube is going to cost me 115 and the vypyr 30 is going to be 185. Both of those are including tax.

I'm looking for a modeling amp because I want to be able to get a bunch of different tones not just a specific one. The music I listen to ranges from jazz to metal and almost everything in between except R&B, rap, and mostl country.

This post was edited by kingbob3 on Mar 29 2010 07:22pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll