d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Can't Decide Between Two Amps
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 47.17
Mar 3 2010 11:27am
I'm in the market for a high-ish end amp for recreational playing and am kinda stuck between a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 or a Marshall Modern Vintage 2266C.

The tone on the MV 2266 is great but the thing that throws me off is that it only has 1 channel. I suppose a pedal board will sort this out though.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Everything is standard on it atm but am hoping to upgrade the pick ups to SD Alnico Pro II Humbuckers shortly.

I play a lot of different kind of music from GNR to Led Zep to Pink Floyd to Pantera and BLS. And a lot of other things.

I'm looking for an amp that can handle all these genres with ease.

My pedal board is going to be something like;

(in no particular order atm)
Wah
Phaser
Tuner
ISP Decimator
Overdrive
Chorus
Maybe volume pedal for swells.
Possibly a Digitech Whammy
10 Band EQ

Anyone got any input?

This post was edited by MadMardegan on Mar 3 2010 11:46am
Gold: 0.00
Mar 3 2010 11:55am
Go for the DLS. The modern marshalls do that high gain thing really well. Should cover the GNR and Pantera territory. I dunno what BLS is. Zep and Floyd are a bit different. Might want to consider a Fuzz pedal. David Gilmour used a Ge Fuzz Face until like '71, switched to a Si Fuzz Face, and then in '75 I think he switched to a Ram's Head Muff. You can probably get close to Paige's overdrive territory with some knob tweaking on the DLS, but he also used a Tonebender (I don't know which MK). Also, I'd suggest DLS50 just because halfstacks produce the thump. It may be a bit big for average club gigs though. Might be interested in the new MA series from Marshall too, but if you have the money, you might as well go with the higher up series.
Gold: 25.00
Mar 3 2010 11:55am
Look at the Marshall TSL instead.... IMO its a great amp and is very versatile, the DSL is very nice as well..... although I use a JCM 800 50w High gain, and a Sovtek Mig 50 HG, both are single channel amps, but I never use effects at all, a buddy of mine has the TSL and its an amazing sounding amp as well as having multiple channels and some nice gain options.

Or if you are not particularly picky I used to have a Marshall AVT100, sounded actually very good, and has quite a few of onboard effects, although its a hybrid and not tube, soooo thats a matter of taste.
Gold: 1.00
Mar 3 2010 02:40pm
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ Mar 3 2010 12:55pm)
Look at the Marshall TSL instead.... IMO its a great amp and is very versatile, the DSL is very nice as well..... although I use a JCM 800 50w High gain, and a Sovtek Mig 50 HG, both are single channel amps, but I never use effects at all, a buddy of mine has the TSL and its an amazing sounding amp as well as having multiple channels and some nice gain options.

Or if you are not particularly picky I used to have a Marshall AVT100, sounded actually very good, and has quite a few of onboard effects, although its a hybrid and not tube, soooo thats a matter of taste.

Vouch, the DSL is great if you want to connect to the internet.
Gold: 80.00
Mar 3 2010 09:06pm
hands down... ANY halfstack from ENGL amps. incredible sound. period.
Gold: 47.17
Mar 3 2010 09:48pm
Thanks for reply guys.

I'm leaning towards the VM 2266C with guitar setup and pedal setup I have listed.

Anyone else got any input?
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll