d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Really Interested In Purchasing A Violin > I Need Expert Feedback.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 100.00
Feb 11 2010 05:16pm
Hello people,

I have a really large interest in learning how to play the violin.

It seems that the only option I have is to purchase a violin. But there are several matters I'm concerned with:

1.) After visiting violin shops, I know a general violin will cost me near or over $1000. For an 18 year old, that's a lot of money.
2.) I'm not sure how quickly I'd be able to adapt to playing a violin, or the fact that violins are not my thing.
3.) If #2 is right, then it'd be a poor investment and I'd have a ~$1000 violin that I can't use.

I don't know if I will be able to be good at it because I'm unable to try because I have no access to a playable violin. I have the money to buy one, but either way it's a lot of money to me.

I'm wondering what your suggestions are JSP, and what should I do? I don't want my dreams to go by me.

The main thing I'm afraid of is not being good at playing one, and also not being able to get any better.

Also, if I should buy a violin, my last question is:

Where is a good place to buy one? If I decide to buy one, I would want a good one.

Thanks in advanced.
Gold: 1.00
Feb 11 2010 08:13pm
I suggest you rent a violin for a few months. I was renting a violin for a few months and the place I went to gave me a discount because I was a student, I ended up getting the violin for like $20 a month. I don't know what the prices are like now, but it's definitely a good option to try it out before you spend so much money on one.
Gold: 1,551.68
Feb 11 2010 09:00pm
You definitely want a practice violin
it will sound and play like shit

but when you love thr intrument and are ready for a new one, you will love your new guitar(violin)
Gold: 25.00
Feb 11 2010 09:16pm
Use craigslist, you can get a half ass decent full size violin for under 400 dollars man and you can usuallly get em wtih case and bow as well.... I looked into it as well, but decided to just not try to play it
Gold: 100.00
Feb 11 2010 11:04pm
thanks for the tips guys!

turns out one of my friends is going to lend me her violin to practice on for this semester since she has orchestra next semester.

i hope my love for violins stays high! if i get any good at it i'll buy my own

i'm excited :)
Gold: 1,551.68
Feb 12 2010 12:17am
I for myself would buy a cello... But I suck at guitar so...
Gold: 4,607.80
Feb 12 2010 07:51am
Quote (Honestly @ 12 Feb 2010 06:17)
I for myself would buy a cello... But I suck at guitar so...

Different instruments dude :huh:
Gold: 19,597.59
Feb 12 2010 08:39am
a $1k violin is much more than you need. if you are playing classical you can just buy a low-end new one for $400, then upgrade in a couple years. i agree with the idea of rental, but tell them you arent interested in renting a $200 piece of crap. it is hard to find a good violin shop with people who actually care that you are getting an instrument that works well. if you really look around you can find shops that give you 100% trade in (or close to it) when you buy a used one. this is great for when you upgrade or switch to another instrument.

i must tell you that a large percentage of new violinists bring back their violins after a year or so. it is a discouraging instrument. using a bow is much harder than a pick, playing fretless instruments takes finesse. practice will solve these issues, but it is alot to chew at first.
Gold: 321.00
Feb 12 2010 12:51pm
Quote (Skai20 @ Feb 11 2010 11:16pm)
Hello people,

I have a really large interest in learning how to play the violin.

It seems that the only option I have is to purchase a violin. But there are several matters I'm concerned with:

1.) After visiting violin shops, I know a general violin will cost me near or over $1000. For an 18 year old, that's a lot of money.
2.) I'm not sure how quickly I'd be able to adapt to playing a violin, or the fact that violins are not my thing.
3.) If #2 is right, then it'd be a poor investment and I'd have a ~$1000 violin that I can't use.

I don't know if I will be able to be good at it because I'm unable to try because I have no access to a playable violin. I have the money to buy one, but either way it's a lot of money to me.

I'm wondering what your suggestions are JSP, and what should I do? I don't want my dreams to go by me.

The main thing I'm afraid of is not being good at playing one, and also not being able to get any better.

Also, if I should buy a violin, my last question is:

Where is a good place to buy one? If I decide to buy one, I would want a good one.

Thanks in advanced.

My suggestion is do what i did when learning to play the sax.

I bought a battered Boosey and Hawkes 400 from a local school, as it never got used. Cost me £220 .If you contact a teacher or get a teacher lined up like i did, they can find you one easy.

After a few months i decided to take it more seriousely. Splashed out on a brand new Yanagisawa setting me back £1,255, Thats around $2500. I dont regret it, one bit.

Quote (Skai20 @ Feb 12 2010 05:04am)
thanks for the tips guys!

turns out one of my friends is going to lend me her violin to practice on for this semester since she has orchestra next semester.

i hope my love for violins stays high! if i get any good at it i'll buy my own

i'm excited :)

I really should read the whole thread first.

This post was edited by PalmerFG on Feb 12 2010 12:53pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll