d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > The 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists > By Joel Mciver
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,807.00
Dec 30 2009 01:29am

did anyone read it?

I heard Joel was very fair in his observations.

"The idea for this book came to me a couple of years ago after I read a list of the supposed 100 best metal guitarists of all time in a popular guitar magazine that should really know better. The list contained all these non-metal guitarists like Neil Young and Kurt Cobain, so I thought, 'Fuck this!' and wrote my own list, which became an 80,000-word book. The 100 guys I've included are pure metal: there's no-one taken from the hard rock world, as much as I respect the rock shredders. This one features musicians from heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, power metal, doom metal and grindcore bands and that's it."

I'd like to hear Reviews for this book because it does look kind of interesting. sometimes i do like to fill my freetime with readings rather than rattling my head while listening to sum crazy shit.

by the way how do you guys feel toward his N.1 Pick: Dave Mustaine? (i'm sure this will have alot of controversy though)
Gold: 8.70
Dec 30 2009 03:49pm
dave mustaine isn't the best XD

people like michael angelo batio and michael romeo beat him easily lol
Gold: 0.70
Dec 30 2009 04:54pm
I'd like to read it to see his reasoning, as well as see who he included/read some of their background

Don't think i agree on him about Dave mustaine, but then again nit all comes down to what criteria he is selecting them on, and his personal preference.
Dec 30 2009 08:42pm
Quote (muzik77 @ Dec 30 2009 09:49pm)

people like michael angelo batio and michael romeo beat him easily lol

MAB is the fastest but best? please. he is barely influencial in the world of rock and is totally uninfluential in the world of Metal.

Quote (Cloudfire @ Dec 30 2009 10:54pm)
I'd like to read it to see his reasoning, as well as see who he included/read some of their background

Don't think i agree on him about Dave mustaine, but then again nit all comes down to what criteria he is selecting them on, and his personal preference.

ah everybody is entitled to their own opinion that's what you realise by reading his book, He honestly don't like mustaine as a human being (cause let's face it Mustaine is definately a dick) but I gotta say wether you like it or not, not only by the voice of megadeth Dave influenced the world of thrash, by influencing, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Testament (a lesser known but one of my favorite band Sepultura) that is basically why he considers Mustaine the greatest Metal guitarist of all time.

and you got to give it to him he wrote alot of kickass guitar riffs ;) .
Gold: 4,607.80
Dec 31 2009 05:23am
You cannot deny that without Mustaine, Metal would have missed out on some truly amazing music.

I can understand why he'd say he's the best, he damn near is! But IMO in metal, Randy Rhodes is right up there..
Gold: 1.00
Dec 31 2009 11:53am
take a look at number 42. that's me.
Dec 31 2009 04:53pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Dec 31 2009 11:23am)
You cannot deny that without Mustaine, Metal would have missed out on some truly amazing music.

I can understand why he'd say he's the best, he damn near is! But IMO in metal, Randy Rhodes is right up there..

chears :), Revelation (Mother Earth) is the best from Blizzard of Ozz, only Ozzy cd i got though :( .

but i think its unfair to have rated James Hetfield only number 16 and rated Kirk Hammet number 5. i think James Hetfield is one of the most creative Guitar riffmaster out there, hammet all he does is solo :( but i should buy the book to understand his choice. True that for alot of people out there, the solos are the soul of a song, but for me it's mainly all about the guitar riffs.
Gold: 14,293.00
Jan 6 2010 05:31pm
Quote (muzik77 @ Dec 30 2009 04:49pm)

people like michael angelo batio and michael romeo  beat him easily lol

michael angelo batio is far underated... hes even releasing albums of tributes to his influences which released at the same time as nitro and he is far better than...
his talent level is uncontested.... seriously play 4 neck guitars ambidextrous.... and any guitar world magazine no matter what the truth is has to have the classics or people will complain... even if they arent that great its all to feed the hype
Jan 8 2010 11:37am
Quote (TRADE_MASTER @ Jan 6 2010 11:31pm)
michael angelo batio is far underated... hes even releasing albums of tributes to his influences which released at the same time as nitro and he is far better than...
his talent level is uncontested.... seriously play 4 neck guitars ambidextrous.... and any guitar world magazine no matter what the truth is has to have the classics or people will complain... even if they arent that great its all to feed the hype

he can't even write a decent riff, all he does is shred from a-z by bursting in an everlasting solo.

he has no originality, and ability is the only thing he posses, he has no talent specially for writing, if fastest kinds of guitarists with no talent is your thing might i suggest Rusty Cooley, he'll make your ears bleed, in an aweful way.

so what Mab plays 2 guitar at the same time? Steakmike plays bass guitar, drum pedals and keyboard while singing at the same time.

seriously like i said MAB has no influence in Metal, he has little influence on fucked up rock by influencing Tom Morello.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll