d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Scales > I Think Too Hard About Them...
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 17 2009 10:17am
I never understand it because no one can provide why they are so important. They only say, don't think about it, just learn it.

I can't seem to practice scales without motivation. Someone enlighten me? :)
Gold: 220.00
Dec 17 2009 10:41am
Scales are the individual notes that fall under a certain key.

For example the key of C includes the C major scale, where there are no sharp or flats. C D E F G A B C
You can also use scales that can correspond to a chord progression. C eb F# you can use each scale and it will relatively fit with each chord.

When you write a song the chords are not always in one key so you gotta see which scales will fit if you want to use one scale throughout the whole song. chances are you will use multiple scales.

TL:DR Knowings scales means you will know what notes will sound good with the song you are playing.
Gold: 2,819.99
Dec 17 2009 10:54am
Quote (aokmaster15 @ 17 Dec 2009 18:41)
TL:DR Knowings scales means you will know what notes will sound good with the song you are playing.

which will help creating songs
( i think ? )
Gold: 0.00
Dec 17 2009 12:25pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ 17 Dec 2009 12:41)
Scales are the individual notes that fall under a certain key.

For example the key of C includes the C major scale, where there are no sharp or flats. C D E F G A B C
You can also use scales that can correspond to a chord progression. C eb F# you can use each scale and it will relatively fit with each chord.

When you write a song the chords are not always in one key so you gotta see which scales will fit if you want to use one scale throughout the whole song. chances are you will use multiple scales.

I assume you connect multiple scales together until you get the sound you want, correct?
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Dec 17 2009 12:46pm
Quote (Fooba @ 17 Dec 2009 12:17)
I never understand it because no one can provide why they are so important. They only say, don't think about it, just learn it.

I can't seem to practice scales without motivation. Someone enlighten me? :)

its not enough just to practice scales. You also have to know what they are about

truth is, the most important scale is the Major Scale

every other scale derive from the major scale, so learn the major scale and all the other scales will make sense.

now, from the major scale we also make up chords. For example,

From the C Major scale
1--2--3--4--5---6--7--8(octave)
C--D--E--F--G--A--B--C Pattern: WWHWWWH W:whole step, H:half step

Cmaj - C--E--G <--Major triad
Cmin - C--Eb--G <--Minor triad (notice the only difference is the flattening of the 3rd)

theres A LOT more chords you can make, but the point is that they are all made from using the major scale.

Harmonizing the major scale:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/chord-scale.html

Gold: 1,141.00
Dec 17 2009 02:05pm
Quote (gomex799 @ Dec 17 2009 01:46pm)
its not enough just to practice scales. You also have to know what they are about

truth is, the most important scale is the Major Scale

every other scale derive from the major scale, so learn the major scale and all the other scales will make sense.

now, from the major scale we also make up chords. For example,

From the C Major scale
1--2--3--4--5---6--7--8(octave)
C--D--E--F--G--A--B--C    Pattern: WWHWWWH        W:whole step, H:half step

Cmaj - C--E--G  <--Major triad
Cmin - C--Eb--G <--Minor triad (notice the only difference is the flattening of the 3rd)

theres A LOT more chords you can make, but the point is that they are all made from using the major scale.

Harmonizing the major scale:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/chord-scale.html

Ty for the link I have some new things to practice ^_^
Gold: 4,607.80
Dec 18 2009 05:46am
Scales are awesome because once you've learnt them, your improvising world has just expanded 10 fold. Try learning the pentatonic in E, then play a backing track on youtube in the key of E, and then you'll notice you can play a massive long solo for the entireity. Enjoy
Gold: 96.94
Dec 18 2009 05:49am
memorizing scales is useless (well, not really). You have to understand music theory. By understand music theory you will better understand scales and why they are used. They are practiced for many reasons. A person who understands scales and chords together can make their own work all day long.

This post was edited by AF_CurT on Dec 18 2009 05:49am
Gold: 4,607.80
Dec 18 2009 07:55am
Quote (AF_CurT @ 18 Dec 2009 11:49)
memorizing scales is useless (well, not really). You have to understand music theory. By understand music theory you will better understand scales and why they are used. They are practiced for many reasons. A person who understands scales and chords together can make their own work all day long.

You don't have to understand music theory, what a stupid statement. I don't know theory but I know more scales than I know what to do with. Explain that...
Gold: 3.00
Feb 4 2010 01:02am
Quote (AF_CurT @ Dec 18 2009 05:49am)

Chances are if you were to study music theory enough, you would end up memorizing scales anyway...
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll