d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Can Anyone Offer Any Insight?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,432.53
Dec 15 2009 11:33am
I'm trying to learn to play guitar, I have 2 accoustics, but my bro also has 5 other guitars that I can use if needed, but I want to learn accoustic. As much as I like GnR solo's and malmstein, when it comes to playing i'm more of a country person.

I'm not so much a guitar player, I'm a frequent singer but I wanted to learn how to do some accoustic covers too.

I've bought the "beginner" books, i've watched video's, i've done everything basically that I know of except pay for lessons. I know notes and things like that so I'm not a complete noob..

I can't read a tab for the life of me.

looking for any hints, insight, help, anything.. :(
Gold: 2,819.99
Dec 15 2009 12:07pm
Check guitarjamzdotcom on youtube, that's the account btw, even if it feels kinda lame to start with so basic stuff it's kind useful, at least for me it was

when you get the hang on it, you could look around for Guitar Pro program, it shows you the tabs, and you can find A L O T info @ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

I'm just a beginner myself, been playing for <1year, but i'll try to help you as much as i can if you pm me
Gold: 1,432.53
Dec 15 2009 12:26pm
Quote (mxO @ Dec 15 2009 10:07am)
Check guitarjamzdotcom on youtube, that's the account btw, even if it feels kinda lame to start with so basic stuff it's kind useful, at least for me it was

when you get the hang on it, you could look around for Guitar Pro program, it shows you the tabs, and you can find A L O T info @ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

I'm just a beginner myself, been playing for <1year, but i'll try to help you as much as i can if you pm me

yea, a friend gave my guitar pro, and i've been on ultimate guitar, also freeandeasyguitar as well... but idk.. maybe it's just me, i can't pick hardly anything up... a few lines here and there n that's it... 10 seconds into the beginning of the song i'm lost.

starting to feel a little hopeless, maybe i'll just stick to singing..
Gold: 2.34
Dec 15 2009 12:50pm
Quote (dapittsta @ Dec 15 2009 02:26pm)
yea, a friend gave my guitar pro, and i've been on ultimate guitar, also freeandeasyguitar as well... but idk.. maybe it's just me, i can't pick hardly anything up... a few lines here and there n that's it... 10 seconds into the beginning of the song i'm lost.

starting to feel a little hopeless, maybe i'll just stick to singing..

I felt the same way when I first started learning guitar/leaning from tabs. I can still remember my friend, Marco, convincing me to not give up (since I was about to after trying my first tab).

Once you get more practice with reading tabs and applying them, you'll read them more easily. What's also nice with Guitar Pro, is that you can change the tempo of the song and play along with it at slow-as-hell tempos after you've figured some of the song out.
I just suggest you just keep practicing reading tabs, or try to figure out a song by ear (which will probably be hard for a beginner). You'll be able to read tabs easier in time.

This post was edited by Mathcorey on Dec 15 2009 12:51pm
Gold: 45,206.40
Dec 15 2009 02:09pm
best thing i can tell you is to learn how to read tabs it makes life so easy. and learn basic chords

i learned tabs when i was in the 7th grade and once you learn it its just like reading music. and try to learn to play without looking at the guitar. really practice that.
it helps alot. most people learn while looking at their hands. if you practice just feeling the guitar then you will be better for singing/playing
Gold: 220.00
Dec 15 2009 05:18pm
I agreed with what has been said. I suggest you pick a simple song that you know well ( you can hear it in your head) and try to play that. It will be easy because you now when you play a wrong note and you can check the tabs for the correct note. Other than that just dont give up and keep playing.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll