d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Tips For Finger Cuts. > Topic
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 194.00
Oct 17 2009 12:27pm
What , besides neosporin , can help heal finger cuts faster o.O

The pain from just putting pressure on the cut I can deal with , but when a thinner string actually slips INTO the cut... thats causing 2 things: first , hurting like hell.... second, ruining what ever healing it had done thus far.

I'm thinking super glue o.O

note: the cuts were made from playing guitar. so their kinda like paper cuts... meh , you'll know what I'm talking about I'm sure.

;)

Any tips OTHER than , not playing for a while will be of help lol.
Gold: 1.00
Oct 17 2009 12:39pm
Quote (dreu21952006 @ Sat, Oct 17 2009, 06:27pm)
What , besides neosporin , can help heal finger cuts faster o.O

The pain from just putting pressure on the cut I can deal with , but when a thinner string actually slips INTO the cut... thats causing 2 things: first , hurting like hell.... second, ruining what ever healing it had done thus far.

I'm thinking super glue o.O

note: the cuts were made from playing guitar. so their kinda like paper cuts... meh , you'll know what I'm talking about I'm sure.

;)

Any tips OTHER than , not playing for a while will be of help lol.

super glue works mate. try it out. ... word to the wise, its GOING to suck whenever you put it on, but it goes away quicklyl
Gold: 3,032.85
Oct 17 2009 02:07pm
how about not being an idiot and just letting the cuts heal and callous?

putting superglue onto your fingertips is a temporary fix, letting your skin callous is permanent

and ripping your callous off every time you get rid of the superglue is not helping
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Oct 17 2009 03:21pm
You're not going to like it, but not playing for a while and limiting your playing while you build up calluses is the best thing you can do. Enthusiasm is great, but don't hurt yourself!

Use an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin, bandage it, and let it heal. Playing with cuts on your fingers will make it much worse and slow down the healing quite a bit.

If you are cutting yourself on guitar strings, then you need to either use lighter strings for a while and/or build up calluses by limiting your playing time for a few weeks. I started out using 10-47 strings tuned down a full step, now I use 11-54 with a plain steel 22 third string for the same tuning - I would have hurt my hands if I started on these! It takes quite a bit of time to build up strong calluses and fingers, but if you are getting cut, you also need to consider how much pressure you are putting on the strings with your fretting hand - you want the string to touch the fret firmly, but not the fretboard.
Oct 17 2009 03:31pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Sat, Oct 17 2009, 01:21pm)
You're not going to like it, but not playing for a while and limiting your playing while you build up calluses is the best thing you can do.  Enthusiasm is great, but don't hurt yourself! 

Use an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin, bandage it, and let it heal.  Playing with cuts on your fingers will make it much worse and slow down the healing quite a bit. 

If you are cutting yourself on guitar strings, then you need to either use lighter strings for a while and/or build up calluses by limiting your playing time for a few weeks.  I started out using 10-47 strings tuned down a full step, now I use 11-54 with a plain steel 22 third string for the same tuning - I would have hurt my hands if I started on these!  It takes quite a bit of time to build up strong calluses and fingers, but if you are getting cut, you also need to consider how much pressure you are putting on the strings with your fretting hand - you want the string to touch the fret firmly, but not the fretboard.

listen to this man
Gold: 3.00
Oct 17 2009 04:21pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Sat, Oct 17 2009, 02:21pm)
You're not going to like it, but not playing for a while and limiting your playing while you build up calluses is the best thing you can do.  Enthusiasm is great, but don't hurt yourself! 

Use an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin, bandage it, and let it heal.  Playing with cuts on your fingers will make it much worse and slow down the healing quite a bit. 

If you are cutting yourself on guitar strings, then you need to either use lighter strings for a while and/or build up calluses by limiting your playing time for a few weeks.  I started out using 10-47 strings tuned down a full step, now I use 11-54 with a plain steel 22 third string for the same tuning - I would have hurt my hands if I started on these!  It takes quite a bit of time to build up strong calluses and fingers, but if you are getting cut, you also need to consider how much pressure you are putting on the strings with your fretting hand - you want the string to touch the fret firmly, but not the fretboard.

This.

Or you could play like a real man and not care about the pain in your fingers. Mine get cut up pretty badly at least once a week from how often I play, and how long I play when I do. I've gotten used to it. Calluses will build and protect the soft skin underneath, but even calluses get torn to shreds some times.
Oct 17 2009 04:24pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Sat, Oct 17 2009, 02:21pm)
This.

Or you could play like a real man and not care about the pain in your fingers. Mine get cut up pretty badly at least once a week from how often I play, and how long I play when I do. I've gotten used to it. Calluses will build and protect the soft skin underneath, but even calluses get torn to shreds some times.

yeah its really just about how long/often you play.

My fingers are fucking ruined all the time and i can't feel anything with them

i cant even feel heat with them unless it's extremely hot
Gold: 194.00
Oct 17 2009 07:11pm
Sigh...

Other than Linux and Zodi , your all useless. My fingers ARE calloused , to a point where i can tap on a surface and it sound like im using my nails. The fact I play literally 3-9 hours a day plays a big part in that.

/rant

Thank you Linux , super glue is a odd fix ... but im not sure how long i can go just... "not" playing.

Thank you Zodi , your probably 100% right... but as I said in the line above this... Lol. My strings are custom gauge , 2215 , nickel wound. 10-13-17-30-42-52 , from top to bottom.

I've been playing a while... so the average "pain" doesn't bother me. Damage thats not going to go away by playing through it , is the reason for this post. Temp fixes like super glue would be for the times that I REALLY want to play , regardless... But yes , I've already started lathering the neosporin on them ... no bandages ( prob isn't helping much than ) , but quite honestly ; the only bandaids we have in the house are "Hello Kitty"... and thats just not happening.

But ya , thanks for the responses / suggestions / information to Zodi / Linux.
Gold: 3.00
Oct 17 2009 08:40pm
Quote (dreu21952006 @ Sat, Oct 17 2009, 06:11pm)
Sigh...

Other than Linux and Zodi , your all useless. My fingers ARE calloused , to a point where i can tap on a surface and it sound like im using my nails. The fact I play literally 3-9 hours a day plays a big part in that.

/rant

Thank you Linux , super glue is a odd fix ... but im not sure how long i can go just... "not" playing.

Thank you Zodi , your probably 100% right... but as I said in the line above this... Lol. My strings are custom gauge , 2215 , nickel wound. 10-13-17-30-42-52 , from top to bottom.

I've been playing a while... so the average "pain" doesn't bother me. Damage thats not going to go away by playing through it , is the reason for this post. Temp fixes like super glue would be for the times that I REALLY want to play , regardless... But yes , I've already started lathering the neosporin on them ... no bandages ( prob isn't helping much than ) , but quite honestly ; the only bandaids we have in the house are "Hello Kitty"... and thats just not happening.

But ya , thanks for the responses / suggestions / information to Zodi / Linux.

I don't know what else to tell you man. I've " dented " my fingertips before, to where they held a groove for a few weeks and hurt like hell whenever anything touched them, but I highly doubt that's your condition. If you play as much as you say you do, you should have pretty tough finger tips by now. The only reason your fingers should be hurting is if you shred a lot, or do lots of weird bends that require a lot of pressure.
Oct 18 2009 12:13am
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Sat, Oct 17 2009, 06:40pm)
I don't know what else to tell you man. I've " dented " my fingertips before, to where they held a groove for a few weeks and hurt like hell whenever anything touched them, but I highly doubt that's your condition. If you play as much as you say you do, you should have pretty tough finger tips by now. The only reason your fingers should be hurting is if you shred a lot, or do lots of weird bends that require a lot of pressure.

shred doesnt put more pressure on your fingers.

he might be doing bends that he hasnt before and its getting through his callouses
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll