d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > 50 Fg For Guitar Help > Ibanez Configuration
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 70%
Oct 4 2009 08:05pm
im playing an ibanez s520ex

i need to move the strings closer to the fretboard. (adjust the action)

tell me how, and if it works, i send you 50 fg.

my strings are way off the fretboard and i need them closer.

there is no visible truss rod by the part where you tune the guitar.

heres the back of my guitar,

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=k0j2mr&s=4

and heres the front.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i5napx&s=4

i play with extremely heavy strings on an extremely high tension (sounds brutal motherfucka)

open to any ideas.

Gold: 0.00
Oct 4 2009 08:11pm
I wouldn't suggest trying it out yourself.
If you really want to, check online or ask at http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum+.

Else, I'd suggest going to your local music store and ask if they can do it. Would be done by much more experienced person than yourself.

This post was edited by Darkshade on Oct 4 2009 08:27pm
Gold: 220.00
Oct 4 2009 08:14pm
Quote (UntilAdalia @ Sun, Oct 4 2009, 10:05pm)
im playing an ibanez s520ex

i need to move the strings closer to the fretboard. (adjust the action)

tell me how, and if it works, i send you 50 fg.

my strings are way off the fretboard and i need them closer.

there is no visible truss rod by the part where you tune the guitar.

heres the back of my guitar,

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=k0j2mr&s=4

and heres the front.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i5napx&s=4

i play with extremely heavy strings on an extremely high tension (sounds brutal motherfucka)

open to any ideas.

I am sure there is something very wrong with your guitar due to this.

If you put heavy gauge without proper setup your neck could be totally fucked. High tension is not a good thing unless properly conpensated.
Oct 4 2009 08:16pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Sun, Oct 4 2009, 07:14pm)
I am sure there is something very wrong with your guitar due to this.

If you put heavy gauge without proper setup your neck could be totally fucked. High tension is not a good thing unless properly conpensated.

i had it done at guitar center.
Gold: 3,032.85
Oct 4 2009 08:41pm
i'd suggest taking it to a lutheir if you've never done it before, but to lower the action just tighten the bolts that connect the bridge to the body, but only turn them like, once, lots of things can get screwed up if you do it wrong, like upper frets wont sound, bends won't sustain, so really take it to a shop and just get it setup
Oct 4 2009 08:51pm
Quote (AlbinoBlackMan @ Sun, Oct 4 2009, 07:41pm)
i'd suggest taking it to a lutheir if you've never done it before, but to lower the action just tighten the bolts that connect the bridge to the body, but only turn them like, once, lots of things can get screwed up if you do it wrong, like upper frets wont sound, bends won't sustain, so really take it to a shop and just get it setup

pmd
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Oct 4 2009 10:20pm
The truss rod nut is covered, you need to take the cover off to access it - if you have not been taught how to adjust it by a professional, then do not do it yourself, it isn't as easy as it looks to do it properly and certainly, it is easy to destroy your neck this way.
Additionally, you may need to adjust the height of the posts that your bridge is mounted on.

For optimal playability, you need to have both of these set up to your preference in conjunction with the strings and tuning that you are using. Consult with a professional on this setup - I recommend looking beyond Guitar Center as the quality of their work varies greatly from store to store, and they generally charge more than a good luthier will.

What strings and tuning are you using? Most guitars are set up with .009-.042 or .010-.046 tuned standard from the factory, yours is certainly not set up for any "extreme" strings or tension. Keep the strings you have on there and bring it to a luthier with a new set of them to put on - the old ones will be kept on to maintain tension, but you won't be able to access the tension rod or adjust the bridge without loosening and re-tightening them to the point that they wear out - another benefit of this is that you will have a fresh set of strings on a properly set up guitar so your guitar will be playing at its best.
Gold: 3,032.85
Oct 5 2009 12:14am
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Sun, Oct 4 2009, 08:20pm)
The truss rod nut is covered, you need to take the cover off to access it - if you have not been taught how to adjust it by a professional, then do not do it yourself, it isn't as easy as it looks to do it properly and certainly, it is easy to destroy your neck this way.
Additionally, you may need to adjust the height of the posts that your bridge is mounted on. 

For optimal playability, you need to have both of these set up to your preference in conjunction with the strings and tuning that you are using.  Consult with a professional on this setup - I recommend looking beyond Guitar Center as the quality of their work varies greatly from store to store, and they generally charge more than a good luthier will. 

What strings and tuning are you using?  Most guitars are set up with .009-.042 or .010-.046 tuned standard from the factory, yours is certainly not set up for any "extreme" strings or tension.  Keep the strings you have on there and bring it to a luthier with a new set of them to put on - the old ones will be kept on to maintain tension, but you won't be able to access the tension rod or adjust the bridge without loosening and re-tightening them to the point that they wear out - another benefit of this is that you will have a fresh set of strings on a properly set up guitar so your guitar will be playing at its best.

the truss rod only adjusts the intonation and eveness/curve of the strings/neck, it doesnt adjust the height of the strings, what he needs to do is lower the action
Gold: 1.00
Oct 5 2009 10:44am
should be able to lower the action by adjusting the bridge.

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Oct 5 2009 10:48am
Gold: 435.56
Oct 6 2009 02:38pm
Quote (UntilAdalia @ Mon, 5 Oct 2009, 04:16)
i had it done at guitar center.

Did you send them 50 fg?
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll