d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Superior Drummer 2.0 & Cubase Le 4 > Need Help Setting Up And Tracking Drums
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 15.00
Sep 1 2009 12:59am
I am moving into a dorm room for college, so I decided to get a basic recording setup. The point of the recordings is just to get decent sound and be able to hear all the guitars, bass, and drums, and not to sound professional or anything. Basically I just wanna record my ideas I have while in school, so I bought a Tascam US-144 interface, which included Cubase LE 4, and a Korg USB Midi-controller (to set samples to in Superior 2.0, which I also downloaded). I haven't had time to thoroughly explore how to get drum tracking setup in Cubase through Superior, but I thought I would post some questions here first, 'cause by the time I get around to it I should have some decent hints and advice.

As far as I can understand, Superior is a plug-in to be used in a recording program (such as Cubase, or Pro-tools). In Superior you select your kit setup, and mix everything to your liking. Once you have your kit setup in Superior is where I get lost. Apparently you setup an instrument track in Cubase, and select Superior 2.0 from the drop-down list of instruments. I'm not sure why you would select an instrument track, opposed to a Midi track, 'cause I thought I would be using my Korg Midi-controller to track the hits for the samples in Superior to play. I can't seem to figure out how all (3) pieces fit together with Cubase, Superior, and my Korg.

Oh, and one last thing, I heard you can setup your Cubase display in some sort of "grid mode," where each drum and cymbal will be given its own track, and you will be able to move the hits around perfectly to edit your drums from the Korg. Or you can simply drag each drum piece one at a time into the "grid" until the part it completed. I've heard thats another possible route, or at least a way to correct any mistakes you made rhythmically while tracking the hits on through Midi. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of this? Also, correct me if anything I said is false, 'cause I really wanna learn how to do this the right way and finally have some fun putting drums to my ideas. Any help would be appreciated, from a step-by-step explanation of setting up everything, to a simple tip you have found works well. ^_^

By the way, if this matters at all, I am running Windows Vista on an HP laptop.

Cubase LE 4 - http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/cubase/cubase_le4.html
Tascam US-144 - http://www.tascam.com/products/us-144.html
Korg nanoPAD - http://www.korgnano.com/
Sep 1 2009 01:24am
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
| The Bump Truck |||""''|""\__,_
| _____________ l||__|__|__|)
|(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)
Sep 1 2009 01:36pm
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
Gold: 220.00
Sep 1 2009 04:39pm
I program drums with gp5 and then export the midi track and then run it through fl studio using the superior plugin.
Sep 2 2009 07:54pm
Anyone else know how this stuff works?
Sep 6 2009 01:38pm
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
Sep 7 2009 01:46pm
Someone! Anyone! :unsure: