d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Fixing Up My Ol' Guitar > Help/suggestions Please
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,299.00
Aug 16 2009 02:49pm
I have a Cort G series strat shaped guitar i plan on fixing up for my sr. project. A little history on it, i had it for about 7 years was one of my first "good" guitars since my family doesn't have alot of money and I am looking for advice, help, and oppinions no spam or flaming..... i know i can't type for shit or anything and don't care.
Some things i plan on doing to upgrade/fix.
Install Double Locking Floyd Rose Tremolo
New pickups (help? or suggestions?) I heard custom shop 59's by Fender or Kinman woodstocks are the way to go? i play mostly a little of it all.... Rock, Classic rock, metal, hard rock, blues, death metal.... but more into the rock/classic rock stuff.
(fixing up the body.) taking out those dents and scratches. Any ideas on how to do this?
(fixing up the neck) there is a scuff at the stock, and i want to clean up the frets back to smooth, there was only minor fret wear towards the top because i didn't know any thing but regular chords before. Idk, this is a pretty nice neck look how tight the rosewood is.
Changing tone knobs and volume + the output jack + one switch, Idk here i kinda want something cool thats a bit different.
New pickguard. Clear one would be cool? Eh mabey messy
Some specs of the guitar:
It's nice and light, not sure what type of wood.
The output jack is on the bottom instead of a strat style built in the body. (Personally i like this better.)

Full shot of the guitar.

Pickgaurd/ scratch and dent pic. Notice

Pic of neck. Notice the headstock scuff.

Check out the pics and give me some advice, suggestions, help please.
If all of them don't fit on one post ill do a few.
Any is appreciated!
Aug 16 2009 02:53pm

The line fades through it.

The frets, notice the wear towards top but not bad.

This post was edited by 13375 on Aug 16 2009 02:53pm
Aug 16 2009 02:54pm
And the last two pics.

Gold: 0.00
Aug 16 2009 03:00pm
refretting a neck is expensive, and a pain. If you need to do that, I'd just suggest a new neck.

Dents, well, I don't know of any real way to get them out, other than a new body. Scratches though, you could just sand down the body, paint and refinish it.

The rest, well, I don't know much bout pickups, as I'm riding my stock fenders.
Aug 17 2009 07:58am
Hey, thanks for the help man.
Ya im probably just going to try to smooth out/ lemon oil the fret board and see how it works out because it isn't all that bad that needs re fretted, and with a new neck for cheap it probably wouldn't be as nice as the one i got now. The scratches and dents i was reading up on instead of re-painting the whole guitar was to buff the whole body out to get the scratches out good and just fill in the dents with nitrocellulose lacquer and smooth out. For the pickups your probably right stock ones would probably be the best idk...
Gold: 25.00
Aug 17 2009 10:13am

I would not suggest doing that at all. Too much modification. I would suggest get a set of Sperzel Locking Tuning machine heads. Unless your doing divebombs and the llike I doubt you will really need a pain in the ass floyd rose. I play metal exclusively I get a long perfectly fine without a floyd rose, I won't even purchase a guitar with it.
Gold: 1.00
Aug 17 2009 10:16am
Quote (13375 @ Sun, Aug 16 2009, 04:49pm)
I have a Cort G series strat shaped guitar i plan on fixing up for my sr. project. A little history on it, i had it for about 7 years was one of my first "good" guitars since my family doesn't have alot of money and  I am looking for advice, help, and oppinions no spam or flaming..... i know i can't type for shit or anything and don't care.
Some things i plan on doing to upgrade/fix.
New pickups (help? or suggestions?) I heard custom shop 59's by Fender or Kinman woodstocks are the way to go? i play mostly a little of it all.... Rock, Classic rock, metal, hard rock, blues, death metal.... but more into the rock/classic rock stuff.
(fixing up the body.) taking out those dents and scratches. Any ideas on how to do this?
(fixing up the neck) there is a scuff at the stock, and i want to clean up the frets back to smooth, there was only minor fret wear towards the top because i didn't know any thing but regular chords before. Idk, this is a pretty nice neck look how tight the rosewood is.
Changing tone knobs and volume + the output jack + one switch, Idk here i kinda want something cool thats a bit different.
New pickguard. Clear one would be cool? Eh mabey messy
Some specs of the guitar:
It's nice and light, not sure what type of wood.
The output jack is on the bottom instead of a strat style built in the body. (Personally i like this better.)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/zzzslayerzzz/Picture052.jpg

Full shot of the guitar.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/zzzslayerzzz/Picture051.jpg

Pickgaurd/ scratch and dent pic. Notice

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/zzzslayerzzz/Picture057.jpg

Pic of neck. Notice the headstock scuff.

Check out the pics and give me some advice, suggestions, help please.
If all of them don't fit on one post ill do a few.
Any is appreciated!

why install double locking floyd rose...?
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Aug 17 2009 10:49am
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ Mon, Aug 17 2009, 12:13pm)

I would not suggest doing that at all.  Too much modification.  I would suggest get a set of Sperzel Locking Tuning machine heads.  Unless your doing divebombs and the llike I doubt you will really need a pain in the ass floyd rose.  I play metal exclusively I get a long perfectly fine without a floyd rose, I won't even purchase a guitar with it.

Sperzel tuners are a great addition to any guitar, if you are looking for upgrades without getting a new guitar, they are a very solid choice.

Don't bother with a Floyd, it isn't worth installing it on a guitar that already has one, especially a lower end one!

Make it a fat strat and put a humbucker in the bridge, single coils simply don't provide what you need for playing death metal, but there are a lot of versatile humbuckers. Choosing a pickup for wider versatility across genres like you are looking for isn't something someone else can do for you, you need to find the right one for you, and the search can be narrowed down by getting input from other guitarists. Try to describe the tones that you are going for for metal, rock, and blues.

As far as a clear pickguard, it won't look good unless the inside is completely rewired and cleaned up, which often requires sanding+finishing on cheaper guitars, which is absolutely not worth it. Completely replacing the pickguard/pickups/electronics can be a pricey option though, but it may be a good one if you are looking at new pickups and fitting the other controls to them.
Aug 17 2009 12:10pm
Thanks for the info!
I was reading up on the floyd rose and heard they're nothing but a pain in the ass not just installing them but restringing the guitar. I was thinking a Floyd Rose Tremolo because i want to do some van halen/motley crue type of stuff with the whammy,( i use a Les Paul atm) and don't want it out of tune half way through the song... ahaha. YEah Zodijackyl i was thinking the clear pickgaurd would be cool but like you was saying this is a cheap guitar and it isn't all around finished so i would have to clean it all up, so i'll probably go with a black pearloid pickguard or something to make it pop. As far as making it a fat strat which humbuckers would be best?

Different varieties/genres i play.
Blues: Hendrix, George thoroughgoode...
Rock: Pink floyd, led zepplin, creed, twisted sister, ACDC, GNR, motley crue, EVH.....
Classic/southern rock: skynard, neil young, CCr...
HArd rock/metal: Pantera, slayer, mushroomhead, slipknot, all that remains, lamb of god, bullets for my valentine....
Gold: 0.00
Aug 18 2009 12:37am
First step, take off the skull.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll