d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Need Help Selecting Pickups > Thanks
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Jul 21 2009 02:01pm
Ok so I recently bought a used B.C. rich bronze warlock (gonna have it repaired, because the tone and volume knobs are loose and bad, and replacing jack) then afterwards im going to replace the picks ups, I am wonder what is the best humbucker combo for that Guns n' roses sound, BUT being able to get that power crunch of metallica/pantera/disturbed still, AND being able to clean up very well. thanks.

extra info:
amp: crate 15r flexwave w/reverb
digitech rp150(i run through this with no amp and headphones)
b.c. rich bronze warlock.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jul 21 2009 02:31pm
Don't put new pickups in a Bronze Warlock, the pickups are going to cost about as much as the guitar itself and you need to rebuild the electronics cavity if you want to get the tone out of there well. If you aren't doing the work on the electronics yourself, all of this is going to add up to about twice as much as the guitar is worth.
Jul 21 2009 03:04pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 04:31pm)
Don't put new pickups in a Bronze Warlock, the pickups are going to cost about as much as the guitar itself and you need to rebuild the electronics cavity if you want to get the tone out of there well.  If you aren't doing the work on the electronics yourself, all of this is going to add up to about twice as much as the guitar is worth.

why would I have to rebuild the electronics cavity? and I got the guitar for half the price at any store so it's not gonna be to much of a waste for me.
Gold: 25.00
Jul 21 2009 05:02pm
Quote (cooldog99 @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 03:04pm)
why would I have to rebuild the electronics cavity? and I got the guitar for half the price at any store so it's not gonna be to much of a waste for me.

Most cheap guitars, including the bronze warlocks pickup cavity is like a big ...what I always called a swimming pool cavity, for some reason when you see a guitar where the cavity is shaped in such a manner it destroys the tone from even the best pickups a lot of times people fill them in in one manner or another to help, plus its most likely made out of a cheap basswood which doesn't really resonate very well, and therefore does not really bode well for the overall tone of the guitar, its why you can't put fender american single coils in a squire bullet and expect it to sound like an american strat. sometimes fixing up guitars is a money pit, unless you plan on playing that guitar for like ever its not worth it. For the same price as a pair of emg's and w/e you payed for that guitar you probably could have bought a much nicer all around guitar, that would be worth fixing up. I spend a lot of time fixing my own, and other peoples guitars. While I am not an expert luthier, just from experience with hundreds of guitars I have learned the ins and outs.............regardless.... its probably not a good idea spending a crap load of money on a guitar like that. Just get it set up, all the minor electrical repairs done, and call it good, and save up for a nice guitar bro.. something you won't want to sell or trade away later on.
Jul 21 2009 05:58pm
thanks for the thought guys, maybe ill just leave it for now and get me a schecter c1 classic when I get the money !..!,
Jul 21 2009 07:32pm
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 07:02pm)
Most cheap guitars, including the bronze warlocks pickup cavity is like a big ...what I always called a swimming pool cavity, for some reason when you see a guitar where the cavity is shaped in such a manner it destroys the tone from even the best pickups a lot of times people fill them in in one manner or another to help, plus its most likely made out of a cheap basswood which doesn't really resonate very well, and therefore does not really bode well for the overall tone of the guitar, its why you can't put fender american single coils in a squire bullet and expect it to sound like an american strat.  sometimes fixing up guitars is a money pit, unless you plan on playing that guitar for like ever its not worth it.  For the same price as a pair of emg's and w/e you payed for that guitar you probably could have bought a much nicer all around guitar, that would be worth fixing up.  I spend a lot of time fixing my own, and other peoples guitars.  While I am not an expert luthier, just from experience with hundreds of guitars I have learned the ins and outs.............regardless....  its probably not a good idea spending a crap load of money on a guitar like that.  Just get it set up, all the minor electrical repairs done, and call it good, and save up for a nice guitar bro.. something you won't want to sell or trade away later on.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the cavity, you just need to shield it and use components that cost more than $1 each when you buy single parts. The tone of good pickups will sound fine if you shield the cavity and replace the pots/jack/switch with decent quality components.
Jul 21 2009 07:35pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 09:32pm)
I have no idea what you are talking about with the cavity, you just need to shield it and use components that cost more than $1 each when you buy single parts.  The tone of good pickups will sound fine if you shield the cavity and replace the pots/jack/switch with decent quality components.

Actually I was looking into shielding, any idea how much it would cost for a music store to shield the pickups and knobs for me?
Jul 21 2009 07:50pm
Quote (cooldog99 @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 09:35pm)
Actually I was looking into shielding, any idea how much it would cost for a music store to shield the pickups and knobs for me?

Music stores tend to charge ridiculous amounts, I do all of my electronics work myself. I am going to be rebuilding the cavity on my Bronze franken-warlock fairly soon, looking at specs on different parts to do what I need to do.
Jul 21 2009 07:58pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 09:50pm)
Music stores tend to charge ridiculous amounts, I do all of my electronics work myself.  I am going to be rebuilding the cavity on my Bronze franken-warlock fairly soon, looking at specs on different parts to do what I need to do.

that's cool, let me know how it turns out.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 27 2009 12:33am
I'd reccomend either seymour duncan blackouts, seymour duncan invader SH-8's, or EMG's.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll