d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > I'm Sure This Is Possible, But Check =)
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,883.80
Jul 10 2009 06:46am
Is it possible to attach a locking nut to a Fender Telecaster without damaging the guitar or having to change the neck?

I'm moving away from alotta music in Standard tuning and hitting the heavier drop C tunings and stuff, but obviously neither my fender or Gibson should really be tuned down that low with .9 guage strings. I wanna be able to drop my guitar down to C, and not worry about it going outa tune every song/middle of song.

What do you think then?
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jul 10 2009 09:53am
i don't think i've ever seen it done, but i'm sure it's possible. take it to a tech and ask them, it can't hurt.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jul 10 2009 10:22am
You don't need a locking nut, why would you need it with a fixed bridge? Use heavier strings if you are tuning lower, if you use a regular 9-42 set for standard, go a step heavier on each string, plus a heavier string on the bottom. I would not use a string lighter than 54 for the low C, I currently use a 58 for it, and I use 10-48 for standard. I know a few guys who use 10/13/17 on top and tune to D or drop C - you mainly want the bottom to be a bit heavier then a standard 10-46 set as the heaviest string in those sets is barely heavy enough to handle drop tunings. 28-30 / 40-42 / 54+ work for the bottom three, I recommend against a 52 on the bottom as it tends to wear out a lot faster than the other strings regardless of the string maker (I have tried Daddario, Dean Markley, DR, Ernie Ball, GHS, and SIT over the years). I have tuned to drop C for quite a while, I tried 10/13/17/26/36/52 (standard 10s with a 52) and I now use 11/15/20-22/30/42/58. Only a very slight tension rod adjustment was required.

As far as your guitar being able to handle it, you just need a tension rod adjustment if you add a bit of tension to control vibration. 'Earth 2' was recorded on a Telecaster tuned very low (A or B I think).

If you really want a locking nut there, it can be done, but it isn't going to help on a fixed bridge guitar, you simply need strings that are a bit thicker to handle it.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 10 2009 11:44am
What Zodijackyl said.
Try to use heavier strings because a locking nut on a hardtail guitar won't change much.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jul 10 2009 02:28pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Fri, Jul 10 2009, 12:22pm)
You don't need a locking nut, why would you need it with a fixed bridge?  Use heavier strings if you are tuning lower, if you use a regular 9-42 set for standard, go a step heavier on each string, plus a heavier string on the bottom.  I would not use a string lighter than 54 for the low C, I currently use a 58 for it, and I use 10-48 for standard.  I know a few guys who use 10/13/17 on top and tune to D or drop C - you mainly want the bottom to be a bit heavier then a standard 10-46 set as the heaviest string in those sets is barely heavy enough to handle drop tunings.  28-30 / 40-42 / 54+ work for the bottom three, I recommend against a 52 on the bottom as it tends to wear out a lot faster than the other strings regardless of the string maker (I have tried Daddario, Dean Markley, DR, Ernie Ball, GHS, and SIT over the years).  I have tuned to drop C for quite a while, I tried 10/13/17/26/36/52 (standard 10s with a 52) and I now use 11/15/20-22/30/42/58.  Only a very slight tension rod adjustment was required. 

As far as your guitar being able to handle it, you just need a tension rod adjustment if you add a bit of tension to control vibration.  'Earth 2' was recorded on a Telecaster tuned very low (A or B I think).

If you really want a locking nut there, it can be done, but it isn't going to help on a fixed bridge guitar, you simply need strings that are a bit thicker to handle it.

I don't really feel the need to mix and match strings, DR's BT10's or ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms worked fine for me when I used to play in drop c. I never had trouble with a .52 tuned to C.
Gold: 4,883.80
Jul 10 2009 03:10pm
In honesty, the idea of mixing strings does appeal because the music i play varies in tuning and style so that seems a good option.

So i tuned my Gibson down to drop C earlier and it was ok for a couple of songs, but started to downtune further again, so i grabbed my mates Ibanez which has Zakk Wylde 60-10's on, and it was perfect actually.

As for the adjustment of the rod, i'm not gonna start fiddling with the inner depths of my axes because i change what i play with my mood every day, and i can only imagine it'll mess up the feel for stuff i usually play.

There's always the fact I could save money for a couple of months, i saw a pretty nice LTD today with floyd rose, locking trem etc etc and it wasn't out of my price range, but i don't wanna just buy new guitars when i wanna play a new song lol.

Many thanks for the help guys, i genuinly at a loss over the whole affair. I'll keep you posted with my progress or failure lol

\m/
Gold: 25.00
Jul 10 2009 07:48pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Fri, Jul 10 2009, 03:10pm)
In honesty, the idea of mixing strings does appeal because the music i play varies in tuning and style so that seems a good option.

So i tuned my Gibson down to drop C earlier and it was ok for a couple of songs, but started to downtune further again, so i grabbed my mates Ibanez which has Zakk Wylde 60-10's on, and it was perfect actually.

As for the adjustment of the rod, i'm not gonna start fiddling with the inner depths of my axes because i change what i play with my mood every day, and i can only imagine it'll mess up the feel for stuff i usually play.

There's always the fact I could save money for a couple of months, i saw a pretty nice LTD today with floyd rose, locking trem etc etc and it wasn't out of my price range, but i don't wanna just buy new guitars when i wanna play a new song lol.

Many thanks for the help guys, i genuinly at a loss over the whole affair. I'll keep you posted with my progress or failure lol

\m/

As a cheap fix throw some sperzel or gotoh locking tuning machine heads on your guitar to help stop it from dropping out of tune. Just an idea.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jul 13 2009 11:13pm
Quote (Jebsus @ Fri, Jul 10 2009, 04:28pm)
I don't really feel the need to mix and match strings, DR's BT10's or ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms worked fine for me when I used to play in drop c. I never had trouble with a .52 tuned to C.

Some people are fine with it, some deal with it because they are loyal to a string company that doesn't sell singles/custom sets. I personally don't like the bottom string bouncing around due to having less tension, and when I have a .052 tuned to C it wears out a lot faster.

Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Fri, Jul 10 2009, 05:10pm)
In honesty, the idea of mixing strings does appeal  because the music i play varies in tuning and style so that seems a good option.

\m/

I avoid changing tunings on the same set of strings - the change in tension when tuning up or down a full step is uncomfortable to play on, and changing the tuning of a string wears it out faster, and it doesn't stay in tune very well either.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 15 2009 11:52pm
fo sho
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll