d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Keeping On Time
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
Jun 12 2009 01:31am
Hey every1 i need a little bit of help. I am in a band but we are having trouble keeping together. I mean all of us on our own are pretty good at the instruments we play, but we cant stay in time. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Gold: 31.50
Jun 12 2009 02:05am
A few tips for ya.
Get a tempo machine. That will help the drummer stay on tempo which is the key to you all playing "together."

Next is how long have you guys been playing together?
Once you guys have been playing together for a while the timing just clicks because you learn how each other person plays.
Hope this maybe helps you out a little bit. If you need more tips or anything just Pm me.
Jun 12 2009 02:13am
Quote (silverskating31 @ Fri, Jun 12 2009, 08:05am)
A few tips for ya.
Get a tempo machine. That will help the drummer stay on tempo which is the key to you all playing "together."

Next is how long have you guys been playing together?
Once you guys have been playing together for a while the timing just clicks because you learn how each other person plays.
Hope this maybe helps you out a little bit. If you need more tips or anything just Pm me.

ok thanks i will try that. we have been playing together for around a month if that. i'm not that worried since we havent been playing together that long. It just gets annoying when everything isn't together. when would you suggest starting to write original material? i would think that would be easier to stay in time to but i don't really know.
Gold: 7,065.69
Jun 12 2009 03:19am
id say start writing original material when ure band is together and ure playing well as a group

as fo the keeping in time thing, its mainly the drummer

but once the drummer gets it, the bassist and guitarists fall into place

which makes it near impossible for the singer to be out :D
Gold: 2,013.51
Jun 12 2009 03:38am
first of all the drummer is the one keeping the pace mainly, so he if he's untight then perhaps he should work some on that.
secondly, the balance of the song is often kept between the bass player and the drummer, they sort of keep the rythm together, and then the guitars/keyboards/whatever and singing fall in after that.

try playing some simple songs to warm up when you start rehearsing, jamming is also a good way of learning to improvise but at the same staying atentive and listening to the others so you stay on the same beat.

gl
Jun 12 2009 03:53am
ok i will keep all of that in mind and try it in about 5 hours. It would probably also help if i got some sleep before practices haha.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jun 12 2009 07:10am
You all need to play to a metronome. Do it very often, and you will notice a huge difference.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll