d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Vocals
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22.00
Jun 1 2009 12:00pm
Particularly screaming.

Here's something i've been practicing for a few months. More often recently because i've been asked to do a project with another musician doing "screamo" vocals as he would say on the chorus of the song.

I've got about 1-2 months to get my scream down just right before we record the song, which i know is kind of rushing it. I've been watching a DVD called "The Zen of Screaming" parts 1 and 2, and holy shit. There's a lot more to this thing than i could have ever imagined.

Melissa Cross (the producer of the DVD, worked with a bunch of bands like As I Lay Dying and Underoath) is very thorough in going through how to scream without damaging your voice and how to warm up, but one thing that isn't covered much in the DVD is exactly how to produce different types of screams. I've got a deep voice, the kind of screams i've been practicing have been more deep and coarse. I can't seem to get a consistently higher pitch of a scream out of me correctly, which is what i'm going for for this project. Think brokencyde; that type of scream.

Does anyone here do vocals and can give me some tips on how to exert a higher pitch scream?

I'm sure this thread will be full of haters that don't have the slightest idea of the expertise needed to pull off a loud, consistent scream that's pitched perfectly and above all isn't damaging to your vocal cords. Before you say anything, your voice is definitely an instrument just like any other. But any input's appreciated.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll