d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Looking For Some Advice > Help Help Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 205.00
Dec 29 2008 01:21pm
So, I came here to find a few answers to questions, and to get some advice.

I'll start off by saying im 16, and I need a job LOL
I don't want any ordinary job, I kinda wanna be involved with MUSIC. Producing, mixing, DJ'ing whatever...
Im kinda trying to set the stage for my future, And I kinda don't know where to start, any advice? : O
Gold: 0.00
Dec 30 2008 09:23am
Well you are lucky to be young enough and realize that this is something you want to do...I'm 23 and just now realizing i can do anything with music...dont let anyone tell you that you have to work a 9 to 5, if music is what you like you will make it happen. Just start from the bottom and work your way up...work in a music store and you will get experience on different types of music, or find a local venue that does shows or plays and work in the sound department, that will get you comfortable with a mixing board, in your free time go see bands play or check out if they have any open mic nights, and just talk to people...meeting people and finding out more from them will surely help you get your foot in the door, stay focused! good luck!
Gold: 205.00
Dec 30 2008 12:32pm
Quote (Lita @ Tue, Dec 30 2008, 03:23pm)
Well you are lucky to be young enough and realize that this is something you want to do...I'm 23 and just now realizing i can do anything with music...dont let anyone tell you that you have to work a 9 to 5, if music is what you like you will make it happen. Just start from the bottom and work your way up...work in a music store and you will get experience on different types of music, or find a local venue that does shows or plays and work in the sound department, that will get you comfortable with a mixing board, in your free time go see bands play or check out if they have any open mic nights, and just talk to people...meeting people and finding out more from them will surely help you get your foot in the door, stay focused! good luck!

I don't so much want to preform guitar wise, or singing wise like that.
I'd like to have a night job when im older and in college, and maybe DJ at local clubs, or even better,
Make late night mixes with the local radio station, ya know?
Just anything to where I can meet new people, and have a good time while im doing that ya know?
Gold: 1.04
Dec 30 2008 09:04pm
Alright man, first off, you start by learning how to dj well. Practice, practice and practice, when you feel you've got that down (or maybe you're already good) start networking. If you hear someone's having a party, go down, ask them for the stage for 5 minutes, show your stuff and if the crowd likes you thats an extra 20 maybe 30 minutes right there. Go down to night clubs, ask em the same, see if you can get the stage for 5 mins. Tell your friends about your dj skills (they could refer you to someone in need), put up youtube vids and get people to subscribe, do everything to convince someone that you're good. Thats called building your resume man, after a lot of that, you may find a nice job.
You will get shot down a lot so you have to keep trying, don't give up, if you want to be good work for it.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll