d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Need Some Direction > Help Inside
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
Dec 11 2008 11:35am
Hey everyone,
Hopefully this is the right place to post this but i've been dabating alot lately to get into DJ'ing. I've been looking for a hobby lately and need to know a few things. I'll explain what I'm interested in doing.

I would like to be able to 'remix' songs already released to start out and make fill in's/transistons to other songs.

Eventually I'd like to start making some of my own music from scratch but not sure on which route to go.

What equipment/computer programs (if any) would I need to get this started. Budget is not a restriction although starter equipment would be good if it is suggested as a good start.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? Opionions are welcome too.

Thanks,
CJ
Gold: 2,809.02
Dec 11 2008 11:43am
Are you looking to do live mixing, like in a club, or making remixes on your computer?

If by computer, I suggest starting out with a program called FL Studio (Fruity Loops). It's easy and helps you build up to the more complicated software like Reason and Cubase/Sonar.

I'll PM you some communities that could help you get started in this sort of mixing as well. smile.gif
Gold: 249.35
Trader: Trusted
Dec 12 2008 09:55am
If u wanna create ur own songs then i should consider to use Fruity Loops
if u just wanna mix then Q-base will help u out

This post was edited by Dream_Theater on Dec 12 2008 09:56am
Dec 12 2008 10:31am
I'll try to explain this a bit further for what I'm interested in. (on a side note I did get fruity loops, i'll try it out this weekend)

If you guys ever listen to the radio on friday evening and you have dj's that do non-stop music, they transition songs fairly well. I would like to do something like this.

Maybe even find songs with the exact same base line and eventually make my own 'megamix' to call it. I do plan on streaming by broadcast eventually online but would like to get a hang of things and set up some playlists first.

Any other advise is greatly appreciated. As soon as I get more involved, I'm hoping there would be someone I can talk to, to help me through issues that I encounter.

Thanks again.
Gold: 252.00
Dec 12 2008 11:08am
Quote (cky2k85 @ Fri, Dec 12 2008, 04:31pm)
I'll try to explain this a bit further for what I'm interested in. (on a side note I did get fruity loops, i'll try it out this weekend)

If you guys ever listen to the radio on friday evening and you have dj's that do non-stop music, they transition songs fairly well. I would like to do something like this.

Maybe even find songs with the exact same base line and eventually make my own 'megamix' to call it. I do plan on streaming by broadcast eventually online but would like to get a hang of things and set up some playlists first.

Any other advise is greatly appreciated. As soon as I get more involved, I'm hoping there would be someone I can talk to, to help me through issues that I encounter.

Thanks again.

hey, this sounds like u wanna be a live DJ doing advanced techniques of "live remixing", the ultimate tool for this is of course.. ableton live (software)
fruity loops works well also, but isnt as intuitive to include into ur live dj'ing setup.
i'd recommend u get a midi controller/ DJ console... such as (depending on budget) -

hercules dj mk2
behringer bcd
numark total control
vestax vci-300/100
and some of the newer ones, i.e. numark ns7

or you could get a pair of CD decks + timecoded CD'S + software
this would allow you precision, tactile control over the songs, as well as link into software for great advanced dj'ing techniques, however.. midi controllers are easy to use with software

this would allow you to.. transition between songs + lots of other DJing techniques, but first u need to learn beatmatching (by ear)
then after time.. u can start by utilising Ableton live to add your own loops/effects, whilst also remixing current songs. (u need to get used to the music before u attempt this.

This post was edited by freddykreuger666 on Dec 12 2008 11:09am
Dec 12 2008 11:15am
Quote (freddykreuger666 @ Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:08am)
hey, this sounds like u wanna be a live DJ doing advanced techniques of "live remixing", the ultimate tool for this is of course.. ableton live (software)
fruity loops works well also, but isnt as intuitive to include into ur live dj'ing setup.
i'd recommend u get a midi controller/ DJ console... such as (depending on budget) -

hercules dj mk2
behringer bcd
numark total control
vestax vci-300/100
and some of the newer ones, i.e. numark ns7

or you could get a pair of CD decks + timecoded CD'S + software
this would allow you precision, tactile control over the songs, as well as link into software for great advanced dj'ing techniques, however.. midi controllers are easy to use with software

this would allow you to.. transition between songs + lots of other DJing techniques, but first u need to learn beatmatching (by ear)
then after time.. u can start by utilising Ableton live to add your own loops/effects, whilst also remixing current songs.

Great advice and thanks for the input. My immediate budget is appx $2000.

Now I don't plan on buying anything until I think I'm ready for it but anything else you feel that I might need I will definately take the advice and look into it. I plan on messing around with FL all weekend and any avaliable time I have during the week until school starts back up again.

I work 60+ hours a week and will be going to school an additional 10, so when I'm not doing homework or playing softball, I'd like to do something in my free time. If you have any references to websites or things that may help me, please feel free to PM me.
Gold: 252.00
Dec 12 2008 11:57am
Quote (cky2k85 @ Fri, Dec 12 2008, 05:15pm)
Great advice and thanks for the input. My immediate budget is appx $2000.

Now I don't plan on buying anything until I think I'm ready for it but anything else you feel that I might need I will definately take the advice and look into it. I plan on messing around with FL all weekend and any avaliable time I have during the week until school starts back up again.

I work 60+ hours a week and will be going to school an additional 10, so when I'm not doing homework or playing softball, I'd like to do something in my free time. If you have any references to websites or things that may help me, please feel free to PM me.

theres a guy on youtube, has EXCELLENT tutorials, for just about anything DJing, check it out - http://uk.youtube.com/user/ellaskins?ob=4
2000 dollars is a high budget, so you could get a nice midi controller, or nice cd + midi controller setup
for remixing + music production, then a must is a simple Midi keyboard and/or trigger board (m-audio do some very nice ones) they are relatively cheap as well, and have ALOT of functions in fruity loops/ableton etc.
allen and heath do the best midi controllers, even though they can get expensive. But its usually the club standard.
then you'd should download different demo software, and see what u like best, they all have similar features, and their own weaknesses/pros
fruity loops is definitely a good place to start

but.. if i had 2000 dollars to spend and i wanted to have a versatile DJ + remixing/production setup

vestax VCI midi controller
turntables (doesnt need any features, software does that) + m-audio connectiv + timecoded vinyl
midi keyboard with lots knobs + faders (m-audio oxygen series)
fruity loops software for production/remixing
deckadance is good for DJ'ing + remixing (can link up with fruity loops as a VST effect)

but..its personal preference if you want the tactile beatmatching/cueing control of a turntable .. or.. just use the jogwheels on the midi controller

this setup shouldnt cost more then 1200 dollars
and does everything u want, but u should check out reviews/youtube videos to see what you like
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4 icon_pointl.gif this website is great for comparions of equipment/software

This post was edited by freddykreuger666 on Dec 12 2008 12:05pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll