d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Any Bassists Around? > 'cause One Has Just Joined The Scene
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 160.14
Dec 5 2008 08:36pm
So, I've been experimenting with a number of school instruments for quite a few months, including keyboards, drums, guitar and electric bass to see which one interested me the most. Eventually, I settled on the bass and went on for a three-week long search for a good and inexpensive bass - after all, my budget consisted of only 300 Canadian dollars.

Careful search in music stores and selling sites such as craiglist and after many electric basses tried out eventually lead me to find a near-mint Yamaha RBX 270 for $200 which came along with a hard case. I bought it after a day. And this meant I still had $100 left over for an amp.

Unfortunately, I don't have my camera handy right now so I can't post actual pictures of the instrument, but it's similar to the following picture (same color and body though it has four knobs)

To any of the bassists around, was the RBX a good deal for its price? And which low-budget amplifier should I select?

This post was edited by Cruzader on Dec 5 2008 08:36pm
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Dec 5 2008 10:16pm
To be honest, with $100 you won't get much of an amp at all. The only ones you'll find will probably really bad, unless you manage to score a nice used one.

The bass itself isn't a -horrible- start, however Yamaha has never had my vote as far as guitars and basses. If you're able to upgrade soon, Dean makes a nice starter back for ~$300 USD, comes with a nice bass and a decent practice amp.
Gold: 160.14
Dec 6 2008 12:20am
Quote (ClanBK @ Fri, Dec 5 2008, 09:16pm)
To be honest, with $100 you won't get much of an amp at all. The only ones you'll find will probably really bad, unless you manage to score a nice used one.

Yeah, I've checked out several stores, and nearly all of the half-decent amps were priced beyond a hundred bucks. However, I got rather lucky and found out that a friend playing bass in the school's Jazz band had an amp laying around, rarely used and he let it go for $60 - It's a Fender Rumble 15 - makes for a decent low-budget amplifier, simplistic controls and the buzzing is easily dealt with.

Quote (ClanBK @ Fri, Dec 5 2008, 09:16pm)

The bass itself isn't a -horrible- start, however Yamaha has never had my vote as far as guitars and basses. If you're able to upgrade soon, Dean makes a nice starter back for ~$300 USD, comes with a nice bass and a decent practice amp.

I plan on acquiring a new one by the end of the summer, when I'll have a much wider budget due to work that I'll be doing over those months. I'll keep in mind your suggestion. smile.gif
Gold: 599.90
Dec 8 2008 03:45pm
get a fender bass beginner pack

its accuraly pretty nice comparing to guitar starting packs

and fender makes some nice cheap string instruments

Gl with it

rock on!!!!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll