d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Guitar Rig 3 And Cubase Tips > How To Sound Professional
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.01
Dec 1 2008 01:33pm
In all fairness, I'm a drummer. Also, my guitar isnt that good - but other people are getting a very professional sound out of guitar rig 3 which sounds mega clean with not much white noise...

I'm after tips like how to use reverb on cubase to great effect, and how to tweak a nice distortion to make it sound nicer on gr3.. anything that will help me and the general musicians community of jsp in recording some professional sounding stuff...

well i'm not expecting a reply to this topic.. but i'm hoping it'll be a hot one

thanks for your help all

regards
Gold: 23.00
Dec 5 2008 08:49pm
I use Cubase SX3. I've never used any sort of guitar modeling software, but tweaking usually goes the same way for any guitar tone. As far as guitar tones go, just go for a sound that you like. After you find your sound, you can smooth out the guitars and make them thicker by using a compressor. I'm not sure what version of Cubase you have, but VST dynamics is a standard plugin that comes with any Cubase. Make sure you have "compressor" selected. I usually end up using a ratio of 4:1, 1ms attack, and auto for the release. Set the threshold for about 2-4 dB of compression. Those are usually my settings, but you can always tweak them to your taste. Doubling guitars is also good, but I wouldn't just copy one guitar track and pan them left and right. Recording 2 of the same tracks will always make for a thicker sound. For EQ, I like to roll off the lows. Set a Hi Pass filter at around 75-100Hz. Boost around 1K and 5K. Again, not all tones are the same, so choose what you do wisely. For reverb, it all depends on the music. I usually don't add reverb to my rhythm guitar tracks, or if I do, I have reverb on my amp. Reverb sounds nice on clean guitars and solos I'd say. Reverb A is always a good one to use.

Phew...If you have anymore questions (specific to cubase) or if you don't understand some of this stuff let me know.
Fg donations would be great, hope this helps and clears up anything, good luck!!! smile.gif

This post was edited by heyunloving145 on Dec 5 2008 09:11pm
Gold: 4.01
Dec 6 2008 04:27am
Quote (heyunloving145 @ Sat, Dec 6 2008, 02:49am)
I use Cubase SX3.  I've never used any sort of guitar modeling software, but tweaking usually goes the same way for any guitar tone.  As far as guitar tones go, just go for a sound that you like.  After you find your sound, you can smooth out the guitars and make them thicker by using a compressor.  I'm not sure what version of Cubase you have, but VST dynamics is a standard plugin that comes with any Cubase.  Make sure you have "compressor" selected.  I usually end up using a ratio of 4:1, 1ms attack, and auto for the release.  Set the threshold for about 2-4 dB of compression.  Those are usually my settings, but you can always tweak them to your taste.  Doubling guitars is also good, but I wouldn't just copy one guitar track and pan them left and right.  Recording 2 of the same tracks will always make for a thicker sound.  For EQ, I like to roll off the lows.  Set a Hi Pass filter at around 75-100Hz.  Boost around 1K and 5K.  Again, not all tones are the same, so choose what you do wisely.  For reverb, it all depends on the music.  I usually don't add reverb to my rhythm guitar tracks, or if I do, I have reverb on my amp.  Reverb sounds nice on clean guitars and solos I'd say.  Reverb A is always a good one to use.

Phew...If you have anymore questions (specific to cubase) or if you don't understand some of this stuff let me know.
Fg donations would be great, hope this helps and clears up anything, good luck!!! smile.gif

kudos to your reply, when i started reading i thought you would say the same thing everyone says about the 'personal preference' of your own sound and thats what you should do. i find it hard to get my prefered sound when i dont know what each switch and nob dos and how it will effect my sound.. I can listen to it and think "wow thats too much mid there" and i know when an instrument sounds too weak. but without knowing the correct thing to fiddle with, it gets very irritating.. I've heard some crazy examples of compressor's so I knew thats where I would want to spend alot of my time, so thanks for your input on that.

Could you give me some more insight into reverb? i always just make it sound like im shouting in a church, not recorded in studio for CD...

luckily the reverb on my drum module is much more simple and gives me amazing preset settings... but i basicly only choose more or less of it smile.gif

im using cubase sx 3 btw

This post was edited by dysgenics on Dec 6 2008 04:30am
Gold: 23.00
Dec 6 2008 08:29pm
I usually use Reverb A because it gets the job done. Reverb gets pretty touchy, so you can't use too much. Predelay is how much time is takes for the reverb to kick in. I usually keep that at 10ms. Room size is kinda obvious what it is. I like to keep it anywhere from 60-80. Reverb time is also self-explanatory. I like to keep that between .5-1 seconds long. The most important knob is the wet/dry knob. That's gonna blend the wet signal (reverb) with the dry signal (the recorded audio that you want the reverb to be applied to). I like keeping that very low. Set the ratio so the wet signal is around 10-20 while keeping the dry signal at 100. I like to adjust the wet/dry knob until I can hear the reverb but without it being too overpowering. The High Cut and Low Cut knobs are good to use if the reverb that you're adding is exaggerating or taking away from the treble or bass of the audio you're applying it to. Setting the knobs to 0 means that there's no high or low cut. I usually just leave those at -7.5 dB which is the default value. Those settings will keep your vocals from sounding like you're shouting in a church. For background vocals, I like turning the wet/dry knob sometimes even up to 50/100.

For a cool little effect, turn the Reverb time to .5 sec and turn the wet/dry knob to like 40/100. That's actually pretty cool to do on the snare because it makes it sound bigger than it really is.

lol but yeah, if you need anything else let me know, I'd be happy to help, again donations would are appreciated but certainly not required, I just like to leave that option open hahah ^^.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll