d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Daddario Guitar Strings - Don't Stay In Tune?
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Nov 27 2008 10:26pm
I tried a heavier set on my acoustic a while ago and they didn't stay in tune at all.

Currently playing using a set of 11-49 on my BC Rich Warlock, tuned to standard, stretched them and wrapped them properly, but they don't stay in tune. Sitting for an hour without being played they will be slightly flat (or occasionally sharp), at least one string will be out of tune from five minutes of playing. None of my friends regularly use them, but everyone who has tried them said they didn't stay in tune for them either.

Anyone else use Daddarios and not have this problem? If so, what set/tuning?
Gold: 4,883.80
Nov 28 2008 09:27am
Are you sure you've worn the strings in enough? I mean, i know your not a guitar noob, but simple things left out can result in problems like this. Tune them up to E, play something like Iron Maiden or something, just something that gives them some playing and bending, then see if it stays in tune. Other than that, i can only think of 2 other things.

1. Your neck alignment is wrong
2. You have a "bad batch" of strings

Other than that, i don't know mate
Gold: 16,894.22
Nov 28 2008 01:33pm
i use em without any probs!
you sure you string and wrapped em right? i usually wrap em for3 rounds, also,
when u change new strings, pull em up a few times.
Nov 28 2008 01:54pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Fri, Nov 28 2008, 11:27am)
Are you sure you've worn the strings in enough? I mean, i know your not a guitar noob, but simple things left out can result in problems like this. Tune them up to E, play something like Iron Maiden or something, just something that gives them some playing and bending, then see if it stays in tune. Other than that, i can only think of 2 other things.

1. Your neck alignment is wrong
2. You have a "bad batch" of strings

Other than that, i don't know mate

I put them on about two weeks ago, played probably 15-20 hours, and they still aren't staying in tune. The neck is fine, I haven't had any problems with DR, Dean Markley, or GHS strings.
At the same time that I bought these and put them on, a friend bought a Daddario 10-46 set and had the same problem, he said after ~25 hours of playing they finally wore in, but that doesn't seem right.

I only notice this with the Daddario strings though, any other strings I have tried stay perfectly in tune after a day at most. The only other variable that I can think of is how they work with a wrap-around bridge, but I haven't had problems with any other strings on this guitar.
Gold: 3,032.85
Nov 28 2008 02:06pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Fri, Nov 28 2008, 11:54am)
I put them on about two weeks ago, played probably 15-20 hours, and they still aren't staying in tune.  The neck is fine, I haven't had any problems with DR, Dean Markley, or GHS strings. 
At the same time that I bought these and put them on, a friend bought a Daddario 10-46 set and had the same problem, he said after ~25 hours of playing they finally wore in, but that doesn't seem right.

I only notice this with the Daddario strings though, any other strings I have tried stay perfectly in tune after a day at most.  The only other variable that I can think of is how they work with a wrap-around bridge, but I haven't had problems with any other strings on this guitar.

The Daddario strings im using right now have yet to be worn in too, i'll have huge changes in pitch almost randomly, especially on the G string.

i streched the strings and everything correctly also.
Gold: 782.01
Nov 28 2008 03:57pm
I'm currently using these strings on all three of my guitars (2 electric, 1 acoustic) and have never had any problems with them staying in tune besides the "breaking in" process where they go out of tune because they're new.
Nov 28 2008 05:26pm
Quote (Gryph @ Fri, Nov 28 2008, 05:57pm)
I'm currently using these strings on all three of my guitars (2 electric, 1 acoustic) and have never had any problems with them staying in tune besides the "breaking in" process where they go out of tune because they're new.

How long does that take? I haven't had it take more than two days with any of the dozen+ string makers that I have tried.
Gold: 0.00
Nov 29 2008 01:24am
My buddy won't use them at all. They went out of tune and busted after a few days of regular play.

GHS >
Gold: 0.00
Nov 29 2008 02:45am
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Fri, Nov 28 2008, 06:26pm)
How long does that take? I haven't had it take more than two days with any of the dozen+ string makers that I have tried.

As you have no doubt noticed, almost every string maker's wares are different in some minute way. Daddario are just wound a little different is all. I used them last, before I got my elixers.
They do take a while to break in, but I had them for longer than I usually keep strings 4-5 months on that run. It might have a little to do with the way/style you play also. I play mostly rock/punk covers when I'm on guitar....low end stuff usually, nothing too difficult. They hold up well under moderate strain, but heavy is another story. I usually get either the lites or ultra lites.
It did take about a week to break them in all the way. After the second day, they would keep tune for half an hour or so, and then go flat, but never drasticly.
I realise lite and ultras break in a bit faster, but you may just need to wait it out....no sense wasting a set of strings imo :/
Nov 29 2008 11:11am
Quote (CoB_HC @ Sat, Nov 29 2008, 03:24am)
My buddy won't use them at all.  They went out of tune and busted after a few days of regular play.

GHS >

These are still bright after 20+ hours of play, but it took around 20 hours of play for them to "break in". They still go slightly out of tune, mainly the E+A going slightly sharp, barely enough to notice but still unusual for those two to go sharp. I normally use Dean Markley but I have been trying other strings, I like the tone of these but they take way too long to break in.

Quote (wanabexanthian @ Sat, Nov 29 2008, 04:45am)
As you have no doubt noticed, almost every string maker's wares are different in some minute way. Daddario are just wound a little different is all. I used them last, before I got my elixers.
They do take a while to break in, but I had them for longer than I usually keep strings 4-5 months on that run. It might have a little to do with the way/style you play also. I play mostly rock/punk covers when I'm on guitar....low end stuff usually, nothing too difficult. They hold up well under moderate strain, but heavy is another story. I usually get either the lites or ultra lites.
It did take about a week to break them in all the way. After the second day, they would keep tune for half an hour or so, and then go flat, but never drasticly.
I realise lite and ultras break in a bit faster, but you may just need to wait it out....no sense wasting a set of strings imo :/

I use heavier strings, nothing lighter than 10-46 for standard (currently using 11-49), and I prefer the DM 11-52 sets for D standard, which have a considerably heavier middle of the set than most other 11-52 sets.

These strings have finally started to stay in tune, just takes way too long to break them in.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll