d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Names Of Chords > Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Sep 20 2008 08:25pm
Is there like a website where you can memorize the names or learn what they are?

i know some of the basic open string chords, and power chords but i would like to know their names and also like A Minor's or w/e there is i know there is alot

but yeah, anyone have good info?
Sep 20 2008 08:36pm
Some advice: Learn the shapes for major and minor triads based on the E and A strings. You will use these all the time.

PMing you the link you requested.
Warn: 10%
Sep 20 2008 09:06pm
this might sound dumb but how can you like tell if some one says a minor or something they mean like the open chord. power chord or w/e?
Gold: 16,894.22
Sep 23 2008 10:21am
Power Chords are not Minor Nor Major, it all comes down to the chord progession.
to get the minor, lower the 3rd,6th,7th from the major.

ps. you can play Minor chords in many shape and forms depanding on the sound u'r after.
Gold: 100.00
Sep 25 2008 10:27pm
Quote (CrimsonOdin @ Tue, 23 Sep 2008, 10:21)
Power Chords are not Minor Nor Major, it all comes down to the chord progession.
to get the minor, lower the 3rd,6th,7th from the major.

ps. you can play Minor chords in many shape and forms depanding on the sound u'r after.

Actually you're wrong.

I could make a long post about music theory if you'd like me to, but basically major, minor, sustained, diminished...you name it...each chord has a distinct sound (in general) and shape (for your fret hand) on the guitar.

Try http://www.chordie.com/ for help with whatever you might need.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 26 2008 12:25am
Quote (Fenrir84 @ Fri, Sep 26 2008, 02:27pm)
Actually you're wrong.

I could make a long post about music theory if you'd like me to, but basically major, minor, sustained, diminished...you name it...each chord has a distinct sound (in general) and shape (for your fret hand) on the guitar. 

Try http://www.chordie.com/ for help with whatever you might need.

He was right about power chords not being major/minor, but he described the minor scale, not a minor chord...you wouldn't play the 6th and 7th degrees for a standard minor chord.

And of course they have a distinct sound, they have different scale degrees:

1 3 5 for Major

1 b3 5 for Minor

1 2 5 for Sus2

1 4 5 for Sus4

1 b3 b5 for Diminished

If anyone wanted to know.

Quote (Gtxkiller @ Sun, Sep 21 2008, 01:06pm)
this might sound dumb but how can you like tell if some one says a minor or something they mean like the open chord. power chord or w/e?

To be technical, a power chord is not a chord, it only consists of the root and the fifth so it's an interval, for example E5. As mentioned above, the fact that it doesn't have a 3rd attached to it makes it indistinguishable from minor/major.

But anyway, for your chord to be "A minor", it just needs to have the notes A C E. Regardless of what position or shape you play it in, it will be A minor, just with different voicings.

If what you need is a chord chart with different voicings then you can find tonnes of these through a few quick google searches.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll