d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Can't Decide > Bass/drums/guitar
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 52.00
Sep 12 2008 05:15pm
never played or touched either. but i really am interested in either. ill be in the military in 2 months and feel like picking up either. my taste in music is mudvayne,static-x(what gave that away i wonder), slip knot, murder dolls. i would love to be able to play some of the songs from these guys.
Gold: 220.00
Sep 12 2008 05:47pm
you probably wont be able to do any songs by those guys for a while. Besides they dont really have melody and would sound very weird when played alone. You dont really know how awesome a full band is until you play a riff from a song and its like uhh what is that with out bass/drums/keys. But in all seriouness, i would categorize drums with bass both being rythm instruments primariyl. So if you like to make beats or grooves then drums or bass is would be good. If you like flowing melodies and such the guitar is good.
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Sep 12 2008 06:26pm
None of those instruments are plug and play; 2 months is not a lot of time to start playing, and you'll most likely not have all of the basics done by there.

I prefer guitar, followed by bass personally. Really it's all personal preference.
Sep 12 2008 07:39pm
Quote (ClanBK @ Sat, Sep 13 2008, 12:26am)
None of those instruments are plug and play; 2 months is not a lot of time to start playing, and you'll most likely not have all of the basics done by there.

I prefer guitar, followed by bass personally. Really it's all personal preference.

saying ill be going to basic in 2 months. im planning ahead.

Quote (aokmaster15 @ Fri, Sep 12 2008, 11:47pm)
you probably wont be able to do any songs by those guys for a while. Besides they dont really have melody and would sound very weird when played alone. You dont really know how awesome a full band is until you play a riff from a song and its like uhh what is that with out bass/drums/keys. But in all seriouness, i would categorize drums with bass both being rythm instruments primariyl. So if you like to make beats or grooves then drums or bass is would be good. If you like flowing melodies and such the guitar is good.

beat sounds like mor of my thing. i understand it will take a lot of time before i can do any of these songs but thats what practice and progression is all about. setting a goal and reaching it.

This post was edited by KgkLeader on Sep 12 2008 07:40pm
Gold: 220.00
Sep 12 2008 08:22pm
yea, i play the guitar, but im always whacking at stuff and tapping my feet like a double bass. once i have the money and room i plan to get drums. So if you are looking at these instruments dont think of one or the other, just which one first biggrin.gif
Sep 12 2008 09:56pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Sat, Sep 13 2008, 02:22am)
yea, i play the guitar, but im always whacking at stuff and tapping my feet like a double bass. once i have the money and room i plan to get drums. So if you are looking at these instruments dont think of one or the other, just which one first biggrin.gif

i really enjoy matt from mudvayne and nick from static-x joeys from slipknot is pretty kickass to. prob the best of the 3. drums have my eyes atm. been looking around.
Gold: 3.00
Sep 15 2008 02:48am
Well.. Depends on what you wanna do.

Being a drummer makes it easy as fuck to get into any local band because they are so god damn hard to find.

Being a bassist means you'll never get any attention in a band unless you are fucking GODLY at it. Meaning if you want to be the center of attention, don't pick this unless your willing to practice hours on end so you can stand out more than the guitar.

Being a guitarists means whatever you play no matter how hard you suck people will always be amazed.

Thats coming from a social point of view really.

Instrumental wise all are fun, I've been playing guitar 3 years and can play bass a little bit. I've only played on a drum set a few times but the times I did it was alot of fun. Pick any you like, but make sure you do it well. wink.gif
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll