d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > So I Want To Get Into Drums! > Read My Story! Or Uh..dont
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Aug 5 2008 01:11am
So im saving up my money for some drums now (since i got a 2k$ computer for free from my uncle) and was wondering if I could get some tips and advice from any drummers here

heres a few things

1) price range between 400-600$ preferably, seeing as it will be a starter kit for the most part...but I want something thats still good enough to last for awhile. Can anyone link me to some sites or give me some advice on what to get?

2) ive heard alot about replacing things on drums, like the heads? of the snares\toms and maybe the bass too. Any help here is appreciated.

3) im thinking of self teaching myself...ive played electric drums before, but Id much rather have acoustic. Ive never taken a single music class in my life, so as far as tempo and notes and what not, I am fairly clueless. Any tips for what I should do to improve myself as I start, or are classes absolutely necessary?

4) hi hat's..ive used bass pedals before, but never a hi hat pedal. How important is it to be able to use (in my situation) my left foot on that pedal? Ive tried it before and it seems incredibly tricky to do that whilst keeping beat with a bass pedal. Or is there something about hi hats I dont know? Like maybe they are only used for certain sections or something..

thanks in advanced..

Gold: 203.33
Aug 5 2008 01:17am
try musiciansfriend.com

Lessons/Classes are helpful but not necessary.
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Aug 5 2008 01:32am
Quote (Eep @ Tue, Aug 5 2008, 02:11am)

4) hi hat's..ive used bass pedals before, but never a hi hat pedal. How important is it to be able to use (in my situation) my left foot on that pedal? Ive tried it before and it seems incredibly tricky to do that whilst keeping beat with a bass pedal. Or is there something about hi hats I dont know? Like maybe they are only used for certain sections or something..

They're pretty commonly used, both open and closed. Obviously it'd be easier to play it open, but you'll get to the point where you don't even think about using your foot to make the Hi-hat close, you'll just do it to obtain the correct sound, kind of like changing notes on a guitar.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll