d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > I Can't Pick... > Electric Guitar Vs Drum
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,256.00
Jul 27 2008 01:33pm
Hello guys, I'm sort of new to this section of the forums, so please, treat me nicely. smile.gif

Anyways, I don't know what to "get into."

My two choices are
Drums
Guitar (Acoustic/Electric)

---------------

At the moment I have a nice starclassic Tama. (Not sure on the exact name, but it's really nice)
And a crappy 200$ Starcaster Electric Guitar
And I have access to a very nice Taylor Guitar as well (my dad's)

---------------

I've learned the drums for about 5-6 months (got really into it), then stopped for the longest time.
It seems I lost the "passion" for it.

Guitar....well, I never really learned it.

I really don't know what to choose.
Do I go for the thing I used to like and have the most experience with (compared to other instruments)
Or start fresh on a new instrument I know nothing of?
Honestly, I can say I don't have time for both. Only one.
-------------

So, can anyone list me the PROS and CONS of each instrument, and what you suggest?

*This is a pro and con of what I think of each*

Drums
Pros:
->Cool, you can make your own beats
->There's always a shortage of drummers smile.gif
->The backbone of bands
Cons:
->Can't carry your drum stuff around easily compared to a guitar
->Seems anyone that knows a beat can play the drums
->I don't like the drum solos

Guitar (Electric/Acoustic)
Pros:
->Very cool
->Very mobile
->I like guitar solos
->Easy to "amaze" people
Cons:
->Fresh start for me
->Way too many guitarists?

Please help Musicians Chat.

~Dark-Diabla
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jul 27 2008 02:17pm
I like guitar. I also like drums. I can't say I have a preference for one over the other, but I'm a guitarist myself. About your drums pros, though - you can make up your own guitar riffs too. I have a lot more fun improvising than rehearsing someone else's song. There's also a shortage of good guitarists, if you think about it. Everyone plays guitar, granted. Among those millions of guitarists, though, there are a select few who stand out. My goal in life is to be one of those that stands out.

It's your decision in the end. I like guitar, and I've spent 6 years on it now. I also like drums, but I'm not very good at them. I think you should choose one for now, and later on you can always expand.

Few things to keep in mind:

You can practice your guitar more often than you can practice drums (unplug it and you won't bother your family)
You can play guitar in bed, while watching TV, between rounds in gears of war, etc...
99% of guitarists are poseurs. Make sure you're practicing often and try not to show off unless you're really skilled.
Jul 27 2008 05:40pm
Quote (Jebsus @ Sun, Jul 27 2008, 03:17pm)
I like guitar. I also like drums. I can't say I have a preference for one over the other, but I'm a guitarist myself. About your drums pros, though - you can make up your own guitar riffs too. I have a lot more fun improvising than rehearsing someone else's song. There's also a shortage of good guitarists, if you think about it. Everyone plays guitar, granted. Among those millions of guitarists, though, there are a select few who stand out. My goal in life is to be one of those that stands out.

It's your decision in the end. I like guitar, and I've spent 6 years on it now. I also like drums, but I'm not very good at them. I think you should choose one for now, and later on you can always expand.

Few things to keep in mind:

You can practice your guitar more often than you can practice drums (unplug it and you won't bother your family)
You can play guitar in bed, while watching TV, between rounds in gears of war, etc...
99% of guitarists are poseurs. Make sure you're practicing often and try not to show off unless you're really skilled.

Thank you for this post.

But, I hear to practice for drums all I need is the practice pad and 2 sticks?
Gold: 286.81
Jul 27 2008 08:10pm
I dont think anyone really can suggest the right instrument for you, cuz each of them are different and both are fun to play (atleast after a lot of practice). I think that you shall decide for yourself what you find most fun. Maybe try to play guitar for some weeks and then review what you found most fun - drums vs guitar.

And about your consernes about "many guitarist's vs few drummers" - if you practice enough you will be able to get into a band no matter what instrument you choose.

(i personally choosed to play both guitar and drums, but got a bit more passion for the drumming)

edit:
You can practice your stickcontrole with a practice pad and drumsticks to learn the basic's and to practice your pace, but i think that you want get far with the drumming without a drumset.

This post was edited by ZeduK on Jul 27 2008 08:12pm
Gold: 485.00
Jul 27 2008 08:36pm
It really depends on what you like, what you feel more comfortable with. I know this sounds unhelpful, but I believe it's the only way you can truly pick, for yourself. I personally chose drums because even though it's loud and difficult to practice (I live in an apartment with an acoustic drum set) I found it very stress relieving. However, as time passed by, I found it harder and harder to practice without pissing off the neighbors, so I'm thinking of selling my current set and buying an electric one (hehe).
Jul 27 2008 08:51pm
I guess I do want to play the drums.

But I feel I will never get as good as

Travis Barker
Tony Royster

and such...

edit:

Also, for some reason, whenever (before I started drumming) saw a person play the drums, it looked super easy.

This post was edited by dark-diabla on Jul 27 2008 08:52pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 40%
Jul 27 2008 09:00pm
i play all bass drums vox and guitar and i have lots of gear when i play live i do not find the drums to be as much a pain in the ass as my guitar rig and i have a 19 peice kit smile.gif

its all about waht you feel man if its just a hobby fuck around on both if you play seriously or at least somewhat then pick whichever your better at

drums are great once your great at them and my favourite pro about drums is very few good drummers
Gold: 1.00
Jul 27 2008 10:32pm
Quote (dimebag_101 @ Sun, Jul 27 2008, 08:00pm)
i play all bass drums vox and guitar and i have lots of gear when i play live i do not find the drums to be as much a pain in the ass as my guitar rig and i have a 19 peice kit smile.gif

its all about waht you feel man if its just a hobby fuck around on both if you play seriously or at least somewhat then pick whichever your better at

drums are great once your great at them and my favourite pro about drums is very few good drummers

I agree, try them both and then decide.
Maybe try to get good at both?
I play the Bass, the Guitar, and the Drums.

happy.gif
Gold: 286.81
Jul 28 2008 07:17am
Quote (dark-diabla @ Mon, 28 Jul 2008, 03:51)
I guess I do want to play the drums.

But I feel I will never get as good as

Travis Barker
Tony Royster

and such...

edit:

Also, for some reason, whenever (before I started drumming) saw a person play the drums, it looked super easy.

You should'nt start playing a instrument because you want to be as good as someone "rockstar" - you should just start playing drums, guitar or something else, becuase it's fun for you.. And like i said earlyer, if you just practice enough and got a bit of tallent, you will also be able to play in a band and eventually be as good as Travis Barker (which i dont find extremely skilled).

And like MyFinalChance said, try them both and pick the instrument yourself. You are the only one there can come up with the correct answer for you.

This post was edited by ZeduK on Jul 28 2008 07:18am
Gold: 0.00
Jul 28 2008 11:29am
Drums aren't so easy as it seems, you need to have the sense of rythm. You need to be able to feel the beat, should it be 4/4 or 3/4 or any other odd time signatures, it's really tough if you can't follow the beat.

But in any case, they both have pros and cons. You should try both of them and then pick the one you enjoyed the most.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll