d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Another Guitar Issue... > ...
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 113.92
Jul 23 2008 05:23pm
ok so when ever i press on one of the frets for my first string and try to play it, the string always hits the little metal bars and makes an awful noise how do i fix this?

oh and why are my tunning Knobs? are so hard to turn
Gold: 782.01
Jul 24 2008 12:00am
Make sure you're not actually pressing on the "little metal bars" to play a note. Your finger needs to be on the fretboard (the part between the bars) itself for the proper sound to be produced. There are more advanced techniques in which you use the "little metal bars" to produce harmonic sounds, but don't worry about those for now. If you're talking about the string vibrating and hitting the "little metal bars" and making a bad noise, I would check your guitar tuning and make sure it's correct as being too tight or too loose can produce odd sounds. In any case, the string needs to and will hit the "little metal bars" when you play a note, so it's not a bad thing.

Your tuning knobs might be hard to turn because the string might be getting too tight, in which case it might be about to break, so don't tighten it anymore in that case. If that's not the case, I really don't know why it would be hard to turn as I've only been playing a little over a year and don't know all the mechanics about guitar hardware.
Gold: 113.92
Jul 24 2008 10:26am
ok thanks
Gold: 203.33
Jul 24 2008 10:33am
Quote (digitaljedi45 @ Wed, Jul 23 2008, 03:23pm)
ok so when ever i press on one of the frets for my first string and try to play it, the string always hits the little metal bars and makes an awful noise how do i fix this?

oh and why are my tunning Knobs? are so hard to turn

Called fret buzz. Its annoying and common. Make sure your guitar neck is properly adjusted. Also make sure you are using the correct gauge for whatever tuning you use to prevent high or low tension.

I dont know why your tuning knobs are hard to turn but Gryph's explanation sounds plausible.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll