d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Needs Opinions On Amps
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Jun 29 2008 09:12pm
I'm looking to invest into a nice guitar amp. Something I can use on-stage to perform and has some nice effects (built on overdrive/phaser/etc, but optional) but is in the cheaper range (I wanna say like $300-400, give or take about a hundred).

I play a range of stuff, from extreme metal to experimental to classic rock.

Problem is, I know jack shit about amps. I know I'll probably want a combo as stacks seem a little out of my price range. Any suggestions?
Gold: 79.66
Jun 29 2008 11:59pm
Play on stage in that price range? hmm how big of a place are we talking like small bars or like actual venues

Heres something around that range im sure you would need a pedal or two but

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG250DFX-Stereo-Combo-Amp-101693679-i1145928.gc

But really your best bet for this is to check out a local music store and find something in your price range that you like
Banned
Jun 30 2008 09:57am
Quote (opivyunity1234 @ Mon, Jun 30 2008, 12:59am)
Play on stage in that price range? hmm how big of a place are we talking like small bars or like actual venues

Heres something around that range im sure you would need a pedal or two but

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG250DFX-Stereo-Combo-Amp-101693679-i1145928.gc

But really your best bet for this is to check out a local music store and find something in your price range that you like

Small shows like local bars, smaller chill venues.

Yeah, I plan on going to a few local shops and seeing what they have, I just like to get some names in my head before I do that.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jun 30 2008 01:13pm
Line 6 makes a lot of amps with a wide range of built in effects, but the versatility of tone on them can be quite narrow, especially for an aggressive extreme metal tone.
Your best bet for an amp with effects built in is to find a Marshall in your price range, they are all good amps and versatile, just try a few out and you will likely find one you like.

Other than that, my recommendation is to go to any decent sized chain store (Guitar Center etc) and try out some amps.
Banned
Jun 30 2008 01:16pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Mon, Jun 30 2008, 02:13pm)
Line 6 makes a lot of amps with a wide range of built in effects, but the versatility of tone on them can be quite narrow, especially for an aggressive extreme metal tone.
Your best bet for an amp with effects built in is to find a Marshall in your price range, they are all good amps and versatile, just try a few out and you will likely find one you like.

Other than that, my recommendation is to go to any decent sized chain store (Guitar Center etc) and try out some amps.

Really, the built-in effects are optional, I would never go with a certain amp over a much better one just to have built in effects. I just like having the option to fuck around with some things without investing heavily in pedals.

That, and I have a pedal that can thicken up my tone for what I want. I think.
Gold: 763.00
Jun 30 2008 05:24pm
I'd avoid mg serie from marshall, incredible how much an amp can be known and bought and still suck.
Something that seems to fit your preferences : Peavey Bandit 112
Pretty cheap, loud enough for a gig, some effects - i think - and a good tone for the price.
Gold: 9.00
Jun 30 2008 07:50pm
You might also try and get an older model Crate, before they went full DSP (digital something something). Mines got the analog knobs, a bunch of effects, and a togglable chorus, plus a good amount of low end, without sounding all tinny and fake like the current solid state shit from Crate does. For the really extreme stuff, if you aren't into doing a ton of tweaking to the lead channel, it might be easier to get like a Boss Metal Zone, but other than that, it rocks. Mines a GX40C, 2x10 combo, plenty loud for a smaller gig, and if it's mic-ed it wouldn't matter if it's a stadium.

Line 6 are great if you can fuck around with them long enough to learn all their presets. The one I'm looking into is a half stack for around $600, the Spyder III, and it seemed really versatile for what I want it for (think ranging from the cleans on Watching Over Me to the main line of Lashed to the Slavestick). Might have been the settings, but the highs seemed to really scream too, even on a POS with single coils (only lefty in the store at the time). I'll post once I've tried it out on my Kramer Nightswan, as it's got a Dimebucker (the extreme setting should be fun with such a hot pickup).
Banned
Jul 1 2008 10:00am
Quote (Kellenor @ Mon, Jun 30 2008, 08:50pm)
You might also try and get an older model Crate, before they went full DSP (digital something something).  Mines got the analog knobs, a bunch of effects, and a togglable chorus, plus a good amount of low end, without sounding all tinny and fake like the current solid state shit from Crate does.  For the really extreme stuff, if you aren't into doing a ton of tweaking to the lead channel, it might be easier to get like a Boss Metal Zone, but other than that, it rocks.  Mines a GX40C, 2x10 combo, plenty loud for a smaller gig, and if it's mic-ed it wouldn't matter if it's a stadium.

Line 6 are great if you can fuck around with them long enough to learn all their presets.  The one I'm looking into is a half stack for around $600, the Spyder III, and it seemed really versatile for what I want it for (think ranging from the cleans on Watching Over Me to the main line of Lashed to the Slavestick).  Might have been the settings, but the highs seemed to really scream too, even on a POS with single coils (only lefty in the store at the time).  I'll post once I've tried it out on my Kramer Nightswan, as it's got a Dimebucker (the extreme setting should be fun with such a hot pickup).

Heh, I actually have a Boss Metal Zone, love it too.

I was looking into a Line 6 too, and I think it may have been the Spyder III as that name looks vey familiar, but the one I saw was a bit cheaper.
Gold: 9.00
Jul 1 2008 11:18am
Quote (ClanBK @ Tue, Jul 1 2008, 11:00am)
Heh, I actually have a Boss Metal Zone, love it too.

I was looking into a Line 6 too, and I think it may have been the Spyder III as that name looks vey familiar, but the one I saw was a bit cheaper.

Did it come with the footswitch though? Mine'll be a half stack with like an 8 button footswitch for changing channels/changing presets/etc. It's Spyder something, either II or III, easy enough to google. Solid state, but sounds damn nice. Really the only solid state amp that's ever come close IMO was a Warhead, but go figure...it's a fucking Randall Warhead!

EDIT : Not to mention about a grand more than this baby.

This post was edited by Kellenor on Jul 1 2008 11:19am
Banned
Jul 1 2008 12:08pm
Quote (Kellenor @ Tue, Jul 1 2008, 12:18pm)
Did it come with the footswitch though?  Mine'll be a half stack with like an 8 button footswitch for changing channels/changing presets/etc.  It's Spyder something, either II or III, easy enough to google.  Solid state, but sounds damn nice.  Really the only solid state amp that's ever come close IMO was a Warhead, but go figure...it's a fucking Randall Warhead!

EDIT : Not to mention about a grand more than this baby.

Nah, the footswitch I don't believe came with, not sure. I did see a 4 button footswitch from Line 6 though, not sure if it was separate but I believe it was.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll