d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Help!! Need Some Song Ideas For My Project..
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 30%
May 11 2008 09:13am
i'm trying to find songs that depict certain themes/symbols/ideas/events from the book Beloved by Toni Morrison

If anyone has read it and can relate any songs to it that'd even be better.. but for anyone who doesn't know the story, i basically need songs relating to:
-slavery
-hardships-
-ghosts haunting a house
-running away from problems, etc..

if anyone knows of any songs that give any of these feelings through the sound or lyrics, i'd greatly appreciate if youd share! thank you!
May 12 2008 05:06pm
are you searching for a specific style of music? or can it be anything from metal to country headscratch.gif

I assume you want to keep it ' appropriate '

If one comes to mind I will certainly post it.

Try some Bob Marley songs.. nothing specific comes to mind atm but I know he sings about hardships. Maybe there's something that may fit what your searching for.
Gold: 18.45
May 12 2008 05:48pm
bob marley is a good idea but look around man,

try other rastafarian prophets such as Capelton and Sizla

they sing the same word and are heralded as one of the wisest poeple in this planet.

another good band to do is Lady Smith Black Mombazo, their only instrument is their voices and their music is beautiful....they sing about hardship and the devil and all that stuff...

hope that works out for you man!!
Gold: 19,597.59
May 12 2008 09:05pm
Quote (LiQuiDStAsH @ Mon, May 12 2008, 06:06pm)
are you searching for a specific style of music? or can it be anything from metal to country headscratch.gif

I assume you want to keep it ' appropriate '

If one comes to mind I will certainly post it.

Try some Bob Marley songs.. nothing specific comes to mind atm but I know he sings about hardships. Maybe there's something that may fit what your searching for.

thats exactly what i was thinking. try 3 0'clock roadblock, as i remember that one is all about harvesting food for "the man" and then not having any to eat etc... i agree with afrobandit there are some other great artists to look at as well. peter tosh is easy to find and has similar themes. my favorite reggae/ska is toots and the maytals, but toots hibbert is too upbeat for what your looking for.
Gold: 18.45
May 13 2008 03:33am
Quote (juliusjuice @ Tue, May 13 2008, 03:05am)
thats exactly what i was thinking. try 3 0'clock roadblock, as i remember that one is all about harvesting food for "the man" and then not having any to eat etc... i agree with afrobandit there are some other great artists to look at as well. peter tosh is easy to find and has similar themes. my favorite reggae/ska is toots and the maytals, but toots hibbert is too upbeat for what your looking for.

hahaha, your cool man, Peter Tosh and Toots and the Maytals are mad....Im sure youve heard of Fela Kuti....he does alot of what your project needs but his songs go for 20 mins at a time and 3/4 of that is intrumental
Gold: 4.30
May 13 2008 05:42am
any old blues stuff
Trader: Scammer
May 13 2008 06:10am
Listen to Protest The Hero my friend.. There a little bit Metal-Core, but You could possibly like them.. it isn't like death music or anything.
Gold: 9.00
May 13 2008 11:34am
Quote (PraizeAllah @ Sun, May 11 2008, 10:13am)
i'm trying to find songs that depict certain themes/symbols/ideas/events from the book Beloved by Toni Morrison

If anyone has read it and can relate any songs to it that'd even be better.. but for anyone who doesn't know the story, i basically need songs relating to:
-slavery
-hardships-
-ghosts haunting a house
-running away from problems, etc..

if anyone knows of any songs that give any of these feelings through the sound or lyrics, i'd greatly appreciate if youd share! thank you!

First one, and possibly two points made me think of Powerslave by Iron Maiden (killer lyrics on that one btw).
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll