d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > ~?anymore Guitar Feraks Out There?~ > The Thread For Guitar Freaks!
Prev167891013Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 221.20
Jun 19 2010 03:46pm
Quote (Hogbone @ Jun 19 2010 09:42pm)
Based on scale = is a scale. You are a fucking idiot. All music is just scales.

What are you talking about? Based on a scale=/= is a scale. Scales are simply subsets of notes that we use to organize recurring relationships in music. Scales, however, are not music. Chords aren't scales, they're harmonic intervals stacked on top of one another. Melodies are not scales, they're melodic sequences of notes that don't necessarily fall into a scale. Even when they do fall into a scale, they aren't played in a scalar fashion - that isn't musical, that isn't music.

That's why MAB isn't musical. He plays unphrased, uninteresting, unmelodic, scale patterns at high speeds. If all you ever do is practice scale patterns, you will never be a good musician, because they are merely an exercise to build a foundation from. MAB obviously never moved on from that beginning step,.

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jun 19 2010 03:47pm
Jun 19 2010 03:57pm
Here's one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDuee6blvj8

Fun to hear two masters juxtaposed against one another.

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jun 19 2010 04:01pm
Gold: 0.00
Jun 19 2010 04:01pm
I'm not into this type of music, but I always thought it was badass that this guy..plays guitar with a spoon in his mouth.

Gold: 4,807.80
Jun 19 2010 04:02pm
Quote (chronowarp @ 19 Jun 2010 17:24)
Absolute worst musician ever.  Period.

You are a fool, and your statement is rediculous.

Scales doesn't mean someone is musically retarded at all, it just helps grasp music.

Music is buiilt on scales, yes you build a thrilling arguement against it, but you still ignore the fact that everything in music is part of a scale. The reason it's music is you have the freedom to move the scales and cut the scales into Melodies which form songs.

Yes, you don't like MAB. Neither do i, i think he's boring aswell. But don't dig at his musicianship as the man has played with countless bands and helped countless people yes?
Gold: 0.00
Jun 19 2010 04:05pm
Oh, and neoclassical shit is cool too:

Jun 19 2010 04:06pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Jun 19 2010 10:02pm)
You are a fool, and your statement is rediculous.

Scales doesn't mean someone is musically retarded at all, it just helps grasp music.

Music is buiilt on scales, yes you build a thrilling arguement against it, but you still ignore the fact that everything in music is part of a scale. The reason it's music is you have the freedom to move the scales and cut the scales into Melodies which form songs.

Yes, you don't like MAB. Neither do i, i think he's boring aswell. But don't dig at his musicianship as the man has played with countless bands and helped countless people yes?

rediculous, and please explain.

Scales are a tool of analysis. Just because we can look at them as a means to explain things after the fact, that doesn't mean they were the means to generate the music. They usually aren't. The way whatshisface made the argument was that MAB was musical because everything is just scales. Everything is NOT just scales. If we take even a vague look into any music with a history this becomes very clear. What MAB is doing is playing a scale in groups of 3, as they fall onto the strings, in a linear fashion with no attempt to create motion, motif, or anything memorable. I'm sure we can both agree on that not being musical.

I think MAB is the biggest proponent in the destruction of the current generation of guitarists. He perpetuates the idea that technique (if you even want to call it that) takes precedence over musicality and practicality. Nothing he teaches in his DVD's is necessary. Yes, you should learn your scales. Yes, you should learn your arpeggios. You shouldn't, however, treat them as tools to copy and paste together to create "music". That isn't music. What he does is a sped up exercise, it is the epitome of uninteresting and unmusical. Someone that metal players look up perpetuating that is dangerous, and that's why the comments need to be made. IMO, he is more of a detriment than a help to ANYONE in the guitar community. Someone would be far better off just transcribing and learning memorable/famous melodies in different position on the guitar. This gives the student a tangible grasp on why scales are important to look at, but not important to mindlessly adhere to.

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jun 19 2010 04:09pm
Jun 19 2010 04:09pm
Quote (Hogbone @ Jun 19 2010 10:05pm)
Oh, and neoclassical shit is cool too:

Sounds like he needs to go talk to daddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3ec2cCaJw

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jun 19 2010 04:10pm
Gold: 12.00
Jun 19 2010 07:04pm
I never heard anyone get sounds like this guy. Sounds just like a pedal steel at times. Best bends and slurs in the biz. Steve Piticco.

Jun 19 2010 07:26pm
Ya, that was pretty impressive.
Gold: 9.19
Jun 20 2010 08:07am
Gorgeous playing in that vid, Superchum.

MAB is probably the most boring, predictable guitarist I've ever heard. Seriously. EVER. I know people who can barely play and still come up with more interesting stuff.

Compare him to some of the jazz greats, who could play blazingly fast all day, yet when you slow their lines down, you see that their phrasing was immaculate at any tempo.

John McLaughlin is one of my favorite examples of this.

Apparently, MAB won some kind of all-state jazz award as a teenager (yeah I have no idea). I can't imagine what pointed him in his current direction.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not music, but it's not something I can really get behind.

This post was edited by ZoSo on Jun 20 2010 08:25am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev167891013Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll