d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > My 3 Favourite Guitarists
Prev14567824Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 44.25
Jul 1 2010 09:48pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jul 1 2010 10:22pm)
That's almost as delusional as Darkshade.  I grew up listening to guitarcentric music, and used to like it.  That was before my musical tastes matured, and I realized it was, for the most part, musically inept wanking.  There are gems in the fields of shit, but generally it's just bad news.  I'm 22, any guitarist from my generation has grown up on the internet.  Growing up on the internet ensures that you will be exposed to: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Chris Broderick, Rusty Cooley, Marty Friedman, Steve Morse, Jason Becker, John Petrucci, Marc Sfogli, Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane, etc.  I know who all of these guitarists are, I've heard everything they've done & enjoyed some of their music in the past - and a few of them still. 

However, as you actually develop an ear for music and what makes good music it becomes clear that a vast majority of guitar centric 'music' is worthless trash.  I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Does not justify your argument.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 1 2010 10:18pm
Quote (xMSx @ Jul 1 2010 04:34pm)
Sorry, but you are not a very intelligent person.

Neither are you.

Still love you though Zoso.

I would take your criticism with an ounce of sincerity if you only explained it and not made and empty claim. Unfortunately, you just made an empty claim, so I am left with one emotion to feel: apathy.
Gold: 221.20
Jul 1 2010 10:38pm
Quote (Ghost_Smoke @ Jul 2 2010 03:48am)
Does not justify your argument.

I didn't intend for that statement to convince you of anything. Writing a novel about why it isn't musical would be pointless, and I've learned from experience it's easier and more productive to save your energy rather than trying to convince die hard guitar wanks that they're in the wrong. Time and exposure to real music seems to be a much better mechanism for getting that done.
Jul 1 2010 10:49pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jul 1 2010 10:38pm)
I didn't intend for that statement to convince you of anything.  Writing a novel about why it isn't musical would be pointless, and I've learned from experience it's easier and more productive to save your energy rather than trying to convince die hard guitar wanks that they're in the wrong.  Time and exposure to real music seems to be a much better mechanism for getting that done.

"Real music."

And you believe yourself justified in discrediting any musician's work after referring to "real music."

Get the fuck out of here
Jul 1 2010 11:35pm
Quote (Derkaderk @ Jul 2 2010 04:49am)
"Real music."

And you believe yourself justified in discrediting any musician's work after referring to "real music."

Get the fuck out of here

Nop, I'll stay. Thank you. I was here first, anyway.
Jul 1 2010 11:53pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jul 1 2010 11:35pm)
Nop, I'll stay.  Thank you.  I was here first, anyway.

Doesn't justify your bullshit, but what can you expect from someone who responds like this anyhow? You act like a 15 year old.

This post was edited by Derkaderk on Jul 1 2010 11:54pm
Jul 2 2010 12:04am
Quote (Derkaderk @ Jul 2 2010 05:53am)
Doesn't justify your bullshit, but what can you expect from someone who responds like this anyhow? You act like a 15 year old.

I wish I knew 15 year olds with as much insight and knowledge as me. That'd be fun.
Gold: 380.00
Jul 2 2010 12:19am
Quote (chronowarp @ Jul 1 2010 09:22pm)
That's almost as delusional as Darkshade.  I grew up listening to guitarcentric music, and used to like it.  That was before my musical tastes matured, and I realized it was, for the most part, musically inept wanking.  There are gems in the fields of shit, but generally it's just bad news.  I'm 22, any guitarist from my generation has grown up on the internet.  Growing up on the internet ensures that you will be exposed to: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Chris Broderick, Rusty Cooley, Marty Friedman, Steve Morse, Jason Becker, John Petrucci, Marc Sfogli, Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane, etc.  I know who all of these guitarists are, I've heard everything they've done & enjoyed some of their music in the past - and a few of them still. 

However, as you actually develop an ear for music and what makes good music it becomes clear that a vast majority of guitar centric 'music' is worthless trash.  I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

No...just no...

That is the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time. Music is pleasing to the ears for specific reasons. Theres a reason that A7 transitions to D so god damn well making Supertramp sound halfway decent. It's the structure of it all. The guitarists you just named have a vast understanding of the instrument. Which means they understand harmony better than 99.999% of the planet. And this "ear for music" bullshit? Everyone who has an ear has an ear for music. Ostentatious punks like you think you know everything and your way is law. It's not. An infant can tell bad music (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090127083540.htm). Again proposing the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no matter if it takes a corporeal form or not. There is no end all be all "best" or "good" these terms cannot apply to something as vast as art and music.

Oh yeah, and fuck you.
Jul 2 2010 12:26am
Quote (xMSx @ Jul 2 2010 06:19am)
No...just no...

That is the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time. Music is pleasing to the ears for specific reasons. Theres a reason that A7 transitions to D so god damn well making Supertramp sound halfway decent. It's the structure of it all. The guitarists you just named have a vast understanding of the instrument. Which means they understand harmony better than 99.999% of the planet. And this "ear for music" bullshit? Everyone who has an ear has an ear for music. Ostentatious punks like you think you know everything and your way is law. It's not. An infant can tell bad music (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090127083540.htm). Again proposing the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no matter if it takes a corporeal form or not. There is no end all be all "best" or "good" these terms cannot apply to something as vast as art and music.

Oh yeah, and fuck you.

So your argument is that traditional harmonic movements are innately good, and anything outside of that is bad? Oh alright, dude. You sure showed me. I'm the ignorant one, bwahaha.

Also, being able to play 3nps scales says nothing about your understanding of harmony, especially considering most guitar wankers never escape the clutches of bland ass, diatonic harmony in their shredmasterpieces.

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jul 2 2010 12:28am
Jul 2 2010 12:27am
Quote (chronowarp @ Jul 2 2010 12:04am)
I wish I knew 15 year olds with as much insight and knowledge as me.  That'd be fun.

Ohhh you're just trolling. k
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev14567824Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll