d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Superchum's Mastering Job
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 25.00
Jun 24 2010 05:58pm
Quote (Superchum @ Jun 24 2010 06:35pm)
:huh:

Anyway!!!

...so yea, here's a link to the small project I did a teensie bit of work on. Enjoy!

I'm pretty sure he was basing the "elitist" claim on your absolute condemnation of any and all auto-tune usage and not your choice of listening material. Either I'm "Super-Perceptive-Man" or you're simply trying very hard to ignore the context of his statement for lack of a rebuttal. I wonder...
Gold: 12.00
Jun 24 2010 07:46pm
Quote (Superlative @ Jun 24 2010 06:58pm)
I'm pretty sure he was basing the "elitist" claim on your absolute condemnation of any and all auto-tune usage and not your choice of listening material.  Either I'm "Super-Perceptive-Man" or you're simply trying very hard to ignore the context of his statement for lack of a rebuttal.  I wonder...

You got me... :rofl:

I'm like really good. No seriously. I'm awesome!
Gold: 9.19
Jun 24 2010 07:58pm
I think the usefulness of autotune depends heavily on the style of music you're recording and even moreso on the individual style of the musician. Some people just aren't good singers and they don't need to be. Bob Dylan comes to mind.

At any rate, I think it's a BIT of a stretch to say that pitch correction is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY if you want your recording to sound good. Again, people have been making great music for decades without it.

chronowarp, you seem to put a lot of stock in "facts," so I'd like to know where you get your stat that virtually everything recorded since the '90s has employed this technology.

I don't doubt that it's the standard for a lot of pop/country artists on major labels, but I've known plenty of working musicians who think it's dishonest/unnecessary.

Also, you "guarantee" that all the bands Chum listed use pitch correction, your sole evidence being... Wait, you had none.

Quote (Darkshade @ Jun 24 2010 06:53pm)
Starting to love chronowarp a bit more.

Yeah, I love people who completely derail every thread they post in with pointless arguing.

This post was edited by ZoSo on Jun 24 2010 08:00pm
Gold: 221.20
Jun 24 2010 09:52pm
Quote (ZoSo @ Jun 25 2010 01:58am)
I think the usefulness of autotune depends heavily on the style of music you're recording and even moreso on the individual style of the musician.  Some people just aren't good singers and they don't need to be.  Bob Dylan comes to mind.

At any rate, I think it's a BIT of a stretch to say that pitch correction is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY if you want your recording to sound good.  Again, people have been making great music for decades without it.

chronowarp, you seem to put a lot of stock in "facts," so I'd like to know where you get your stat that virtually everything recorded since the '90s has employed this technology.

I don't doubt that it's the standard for a lot of pop/country artists on major labels, but I've known plenty of working musicians who think it's dishonest/unnecessary.

Also, you "guarantee" that all the bands Chum listed use pitch correction, your sole evidence being...  Wait, you had none.

Yeah, I love people who completely derail every thread they post in with pointless arguing.

"chronowarp, you seem to put a lot of stock in "facts," so I'd like to know where you get your stat that virtually everything recorded since the '90s has employed this technology."
Well, that's about when it debuted, and since most all studios use digital effects...and most producers use anything available to them to make the recordings as good as possible. Coupled with the fact that it has become increasingly audible in a variety of styles of music. The fact that I can physically HEAR it, even when used in a subtle way makes me pretty certain in my claim, in addition to talking with a lot of people that mix and produce music.

Anyone that's in the camp of it being musically dishonest is just a closed minded fucktard.

And yeah, I love people that think the only useful conversations in a thread are the ones that directly pertain to the OP. Surely nothing of consequence or worth can come from information gleaned from a tangent. Uh huh.

Also, "Auto-Tune has become standard equipment in professional recording studios.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune#cite_note-4)

"There are a few constants in the universe today. One is that you’ll find Pro Tools running in just about every major commercial recording studio worldwide. The other is that in all of those studios, you’ll find the Auto-Tune plug-in at work correcting pitch (good) and making vocalists sound like Cher on her hit single, “Do You Believe” (um, not good?). [Don’t worry if you’re running a Logic studio or other recording platforms — Auto-Tune isn’t limited to the Pro Tools environment.]"
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/recording/2007/1107_Antares_AutoTune.php

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jun 24 2010 09:56pm
Jun 24 2010 10:22pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jun 24 2010 11:52pm)
and most producers use anything available to them to make the recordings as good as possible.

You're assuming that every musician and producer wants their final product to sound "good" to your ears.

Anyone that's in the camp of it being musically dishonest is just a closed minded fucktard.

You're clearly a smart guy, so I'm just gonna assume that you're aware of the irony of this statement and that you posted it anyway as intentional humor.

And yeah, I love people that think the only useful conversations in a thread are the ones that directly pertain to the OP.  Surely nothing of consequence or worth can come from information gleaned from a tangent.  Uh huh.

Nice straw man.

Also, "Auto-Tune has become standard equipment in professional recording studios."

I don't doubt or disagree with that at all, but it's a pretty fucking far cry from, "Auto-Tune is used by (virtually) everybody all the time and you won't sound good unless you do too."

This post was edited by ZoSo on Jun 24 2010 10:22pm
Jun 24 2010 10:26pm
LOL. Do you know what a strawman is? Because...that wasn't a strawman.

Quote (zoso)
You're clearly a smart guy, so I'm just gonna assume that you're aware of the irony of this statement and that you posted it anyway as intentional humor.

It would be ironic if I were being close minded, which I'm not. I'm being open minded.

Quote (zoso)
"Auto-Tune is used by (virtually) everybody all the time and you won't sound good unless you do too."

now THIS is a strawman.

Quote (zoso)
You're assuming that every musician and producer wants their final product to sound "good" to your ears.

Yes, that is probably the most basic goal in recording anything. To make it sound "good".

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jun 24 2010 10:30pm
Jun 24 2010 10:44pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jun 25 2010 12:26am)
LOL.  Do you know what a strawman is?  Because...that wasn't a strawman.

Sure it was. The implication of my post was that you derail every thread you post in and that your arguing is pointless, yet you chose to interpret it as, "Anything not directly pertaining to the subject is pointless."

It would be ironic if I were being close minded, which I'm not.  I'm being open minded.

So you know every person in the world who disapproves of pitch correction and can perfectly evaluate their personalities? Impressive!

now THIS is a strawman.

Oh?

Quote (chronowarp @ Jun 23 2010 11:42am)
auto tune is a must if you want a good product

Yes, that is probably the most basic goal in recording anything.  To make it sound "good".

Would you agree that any two people can have wildly disparate opinions of what "good" sounds like?
Jun 24 2010 10:45pm
You're right dude, thanks for pointing out the obvious flaws in my points.
Jun 24 2010 10:47pm
That's fine, I really don't want to argue with you anymore anyway.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll