d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Guitar Playing
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Apr 19 2009 03:38pm
Quote (lilpsychokilla @ Sun, Apr 19 2009, 05:32pm)
you just gtfo

i think you just contradicted yourself their bud.
every different style of picking has a negative effect on another.
as a teacher i tell my students to be comfortable with their style of playing before i teach them different ways to pick.
everyone starts out differently, different does not mean bad.
if people all played the same there wouldnt be alternate picking/ string skipping / sweep picking.
kthx

that doesn't mean the way he's holding it now is a good way

if you'll look it's pretty obvious his hand is way more tense than need be and theres no reason to play like that
Gold: 2.57
Apr 19 2009 03:46pm
Quote (lilpsychokilla @ Sun, Apr 19 2009, 09:32pm)
you just gtfo

i think you just contradicted yourself their bud.
every different style of picking has a negative effect on another.
as a teacher i tell my students to be comfortable with their style of playing before i teach them different ways to pick.
everyone starts out differently, different does not mean bad.
if people all played the same there wouldnt be alternate picking/ string skipping / sweep picking.
kthx

LOL
Gold: 4,883.80
Apr 19 2009 05:49pm
Quote (ClanBK @ Sun, 19 Apr 2009, 21:38)

if you'll look it's pretty obvious his hand is way more tense than need be and theres no reason to play like that

If he's comfy, leave him be. His playing technique doesn't affect you in any way at all, and if you got a massive problem with it, be happy that you aren't weird... <_<
Gold: 369,290.50
Apr 19 2009 09:03pm
Quote (ClanBK @ Sun, Apr 19 2009, 04:38pm)

read my former advice m8, relaxation is key
Apr 19 2009 09:20pm
It could be me but you just look VERY uncomfortable with your right hand. Loosen up a little
and try a different grip. Also turn up that distortion/overdrive bro half the riff's you were playing
just sounded weird cause they sounded damn near clean. I suggest a different drip and perhaps
a bit of alternate picking practice.

(Sorry if this is a regurgitated post of someone else's suggestions I haven't read all 5 pages)

I guess my best (which worked in my case) is to learn one REALLY difficult song. Something along the
line's of Nothing Else Matter's by Metallica (which isn't hard to someone who's been playing for a while
but will be very hard to a beginner) and just learn ALL the different dynamic's and flow's of the song.
Learning one difficult song will be better for you in the long run then learning a bunch of easy one riff
song's.

THAT'S HOW I SEE IT. My personal opinion of course. :)

Overall though dude your coming along nicely, just keep working at it dude you'll be shreddin in no time :D

EDIT:

As weird as it sound's actually if you are still young enough join a band class... Only for a year or two if you don't like
it. I did that and I learned TONS of thing's. Timing, dynamic's and attention to detail just to name a few. And now a day's
there are some hot ass chick's in band so it's not as bad as people make it out to be. If your serious about it, then you could
do the band thing or take guitar lesson's or piano lesson's (both C instrument's). Theory isn't an important part of writing unless
your technical as fuck. Flow and comfort are important, even still, just because you feel comfortable doesn't mean that you
are playing correctly. For example your grip, I noticed it limited your ability to alternate pick and would also be difficult to do pinch
harmonic's and palm mute's. I would say work on your grip first then worry about everything else.

This post was edited by Reversion2 on Apr 19 2009 09:27pm
Apr 20 2009 12:09pm
Quote (Reversion2 @ Mon, Apr 20 2009, 04:20am)
It could be me but you just look VERY uncomfortable with your right hand. Loosen up a little
and try a different grip. Also turn up that distortion/overdrive bro half the riff's you were playing
just sounded weird cause they sounded damn near clean. I suggest a different drip and perhaps
a bit of alternate picking practice.

(Sorry if this is a regurgitated post of someone else's suggestions I haven't read all 5 pages)

I guess my best (which worked in my case) is to learn one REALLY difficult song. Something along the
line's of Nothing Else Matter's by Metallica (which isn't hard to someone who's been playing for a while
but will be very hard to a beginner) and just learn ALL the different dynamic's and flow's of the song.
Learning one difficult song will be better for you in the long run then learning a bunch of easy one riff
song's.

THAT'S HOW I SEE IT. My personal opinion of course. :)

Overall though dude your coming along nicely, just keep working at it dude you'll be shreddin in no time :D

EDIT:

As weird as it sound's actually if you are still young enough join a band class... Only for a year or two if you don't like
it. I did that and I learned TONS of thing's. Timing, dynamic's and attention to detail just to name a few. And now a day's
there are some hot ass chick's in band so it's not as bad as people make it out to be. If your serious about it, then you could
do the band thing or take guitar lesson's or piano lesson's (both C instrument's). Theory isn't an important part of writing unless
your technical as fuck. Flow and comfort are important, even still, just because you feel comfortable doesn't mean that you
are playing correctly. For example your grip, I noticed it limited your ability to alternate pick and would also be difficult to do pinch
harmonic's and palm mute's. I would say work on your grip first then worry about everything else.

thanks for the feedback every1 :)
Apr 20 2009 02:14pm
Quote (montaresss @ Mon, Apr 20 2009, 06:09pm)
thanks for the feedback every1 :)

No problem bro, keep practicing and best of luck!
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Apr 20 2009 07:47pm
Quote (Reversion2 @ Mon, Apr 20 2009, 08:14pm)
No problem bro, keep practicing and best of luck!

he's gon need it.
Gold: 19,597.59
Apr 20 2009 09:42pm
Quote (Jebsus @ Fri, Apr 17 2009, 07:46pm)
Most people will agree that anchoring is a pretty bad habit. If you can manage to pick well without anchoring then you will be better off.

Quote (AlbinoBlackMan @ Fri, Apr 17 2009, 08:59pm)
NEVER tell someone to anchor, god damnit.

bad advice tho maybe depends on type of music you play. for flatpicking guitar, mandolin even fingerpicking guitar or banjo anchoring pinky and\or ring finger is absolute must. 99% of my idols do it, the ones that dont admit they have bad technique and usually say something like "i wish i had learned proper technique". i actually used to pick freehand, then changed, now anchor also hold the pick the right way and can speed pick like no ones business. cross picking? gl with no anchor.

i always always tell students how important good technique is. it isnt for show at all, it helps you play better and protects your fingers/wrists from years of abuse. ofc a 3rd or 4th year student might have developed bed technique in those cases i tell them the reasons i changed and let them make up their mind.
Quote (x&#93;FoRsaKeN[x @ Fri, Apr 17 2009, 09:17pm)
Yeah I guess I don't "anchor" then, I just rest it there. It helps me remember where my strings are

that is the reason you should anchor.

This post was edited by juliusjuice on Apr 20 2009 09:48pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll