d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Im Looking To Start Playing Drums
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Dec 11 2009 11:08pm
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Dec 11 2009 11:33pm)
Did you really just try to argue in favor of e-kits by comparing electronic/acoustic drums to electric/acoustic guitars? Lawl. Your comparison does not apply, in the least bit. There are acoustic drums, and electronic drums.  There are acoustic guitars, electronic guitars, and electric guitars.  An electronic drum kit is not the drum equivalent of an electric guitar, rather the drum equivalent of an electronic guitar (a guitar that emulates a guitar's sound by playing pre-recorded sounds as the instrument is strummed), here is an example of one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-EZAG-Self-Teaching-Electronic-Training-Guitar-102467248-i1275598.gc

A fundamental issue with the drumset is that it is inherently loud.  Electronic drumsets were an attempt to remedy this problem, the volume can be adjusted (obviously), at the expense of tonal control (E-kits today have made great progress in emulating drumsets, however there is still no substitute for an acoustic drumset when it comes to wanting the feel and sound of a real set).  Guitars are inherently quiet (as compared to drumsets), and don't necessarily need the electronic aspect to function. However much people are manipulating their tone with electric guitar setups, it must be remembered that electric guitar setups are simply an attempt to manipulate the initial tone provided by an acoustic sound from the guitar.  Electronic drum kits, on the other hand, are an emulated sound from the start.

don't argue with these kids, e-kits are #1 for teaching obviously. Because it doesn't matter where you hit the snare or toms, they create the same sound with no variation in tones...cuz thats what happens on a real kit amirite
Gold: 1.00
Dec 11 2009 11:26pm
Quote (Eep @ Dec 12 2009 12:08am)
don't argue with these kids, e-kits are #1 for teaching obviously. Because it doesn't matter where you hit the snare or toms, they create the same sound with no variation in tones...cuz thats what happens on a real kit amirite

Not true at all, your statement makes me wonder if you've ever actually played a drumset.

Edit: It just occured to me that maybe you are being sarcastic... It's hard to tell sarcasm over the internet sometimes ofc... >.<

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Dec 11 2009 11:29pm
Dec 12 2009 12:14am
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Dec 12 2009 12:26am)
Not true at all, your statement makes me wonder if you've ever actually played a drumset.

Edit: It just occured to me that maybe you are being sarcastic... It's hard to tell sarcasm over the internet sometimes ofc... >.<

I'm the ACOUSTIC guy man come on. Of course I was being sarcastic lol
Gold: 0.49
Dec 12 2009 02:53am
Decent e-kits also got dynamic sound (of course not as granular as an acoustic set, but good enough for a lot of use cases) and even positional sensing, rim shots, etc.. ;) And the rebound of a meshhead comes pretty close to an acoustic drum, if you tune it not too hard.

and to quote myself:

Quote (Discordian @ 11 Dec 2009 18:14)
I think both e- and a-drums have their place and their advantages. An e-kit is simply great to practise at home. It is awesome for cover-bands which need to change their sound between songs, it is awesome in small locations because you can lower the volume easily, it is easier to record and to mix it for the sound technician and it is nice when the sound does not matter that much, but being able to setup everything quickly is more important (carneval, party music like on october fest).
Still, the sounds do not feel that natural or granuarily defined as an acoustic kit, playing an acoustic kit is more fun and the visual appearance on a rock show just doesn't fit.

Anyway: both got their pros and cons. The right tool for the right moment.

Is it so hard to accept that there is not one best solution to a generic question?

This post was edited by Discordian on Dec 12 2009 02:56am
Dec 12 2009 03:27am
Quote (Discordian @ Dec 12 2009 03:53am)
Decent e-kits also got dynamic sound (of course not as granular as an acoustic set, but good enough for a lot of use cases) and even positional sensing, rim shots, etc.. ;) And the rebound of a meshhead comes pretty close to an acoustic drum, if you tune it not too hard.

and to quote myself:

Is it so hard to accept that there is not one best solution to a generic question?

would neil peart recommend you an e-kit or acoustic
Gold: 7,065.69
Dec 12 2009 04:47am
Quote (Eep @ 12 Dec 2009 09:27)
would neil peart recommend you an e-kit or acoustic

an acoustic

would he tell you that you cant learn drums because you cant get an acoustic kit?
Dec 12 2009 12:39pm
Quote (hellohal @ Dec 12 2009 05:47am)
an acoustic

would he tell you that you cant learn drums because you cant get an acoustic kit?

you know I had a long post written out last night to edit the above but I ran out of time so I couldnt edit

long story short: If you are living with your parents or in a shoddy area where neighbors are bothered by the sound of an acoustic, what makes you think that they can afford a $4000 e-kit that will sound somewhat like an acoustic but not quite?

Also, anything cheaper is a hindrance imo. I've used several e-kits and anything that isn't $2000 or higher really just sounds like a glorified version of the rockband Ion kit.....

sure you can replace heads but thats not going to improve the overall learning experience.

Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll