d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Pickup Upgrades > Which Is Better
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 124.00
Jul 21 2009 08:00pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 08:52pm)
I own a schecter c-1 hellraiser FR, stock emg 81/85. Had it for 3 years. I know what I'm talking about. I don't know any respectable musicians whom use EMG's - apart from Zakk Wylde - but he prefers Gibson 57's for most of his recording process anyways. My amp isn't that great, but I've played out of several VERY nice amps, including a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, and EMG has yet to impress me. Duncan and Gibson pickups have the best tones, imo. EMG's are a scene kids wet dream, you can sound like any deathcore band easily.

ok number one not only scene kids listen 2 deathcore so dont insult the genre of music.and keep the spam out of here.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jul 21 2009 08:25pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 09:52pm)
I own a schecter c-1 hellraiser FR, stock emg 81/85. Had it for 3 years. I know what I'm talking about. I don't know any respectable musicians whom use EMG's - apart from Zakk Wylde - but he prefers Gibson 57's for most of his recording process anyways. My amp isn't that great, but I've played out of several VERY nice amps, including a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, and EMG has yet to impress me. Duncan and Gibson pickups have the best tones, imo. EMG's are a scene kids wet dream, you can sound like any deathcore band easily.

Depending on the type of music you prefer - KK Downing and Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest, Adam D of KSE, Kerry King of Slayer, Eric Peterson of Testament, Andy Sneap, among others.

It isn't entirely a matter of the amp you use, you need to know how to get a tone out of it considering the dynamics of the pickup.

You will need a high gain amp with pickups like EMGs - I don't think you're going to get a good high gain tone from active pickups through of a Fender amp, but you really don't have the right amp for a high gain tone. Rather than spending $200 on pickups, you would be better off upgrading your amp first. Your stock pickups are alright for what you seem to be going for, your amp doesn't fit the setup.
Gold: 2.57
Jul 21 2009 08:42pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Wed, Jul 22 2009, 01:07am)
They sound awful for metal, they're generic over-done distortion. Unless you have post amp EQ they either sound like mud, or too crisp. They're really only for people who just want to play heavy music, who don't care about tone. I.e. new metal kids, deathcore kids, hardcore, etc etc.

I apologize I'm talented enough to do it with proper technique - using my fret hand. It must be frustrating though, not being able to do it. I can see why you'd be mad. Only someone truly upset about his short comings would attempt to insult someone over technique, :rofl:

:rofl:

it's obvious you don't know what you are talking about, every post you make in this forum is a giant facepalm.

Keep posting retarded shit with a ton of confidence. The people on this forum who actually know their shit, will continue laughing

This post was edited by wh0racLe on Jul 21 2009 08:49pm
Gold: 3.00
Jul 21 2009 09:19pm
Quote (Dirty_monkeyz @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 07:00pm)
ok number one not only scene kids listen 2 deathcore so dont insult the genre of music.and keep the spam out of here.

Only scene kids listen to deathcore.

Quote (Zodijackyl @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 07:25pm)
Depending on the type of music you prefer - KK Downing and Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest, Adam D of KSE, Kerry King of Slayer, Eric Peterson of Testament, Andy Sneap, among others.

It isn't entirely a matter of the amp you use, you need to know how to get a tone out of it considering the dynamics of the pickup. 

You will need a high gain amp with pickups like EMGs - I don't think you're going to get a good high gain tone from active pickups through of a Fender amp, but you really don't have the right amp for a high gain tone.  Rather than spending $200 on pickups, you would be better off upgrading your amp first.  Your stock pickups are alright for what you seem to be going for, your amp doesn't fit the setup.

KK Downing used Gibson on almost ALL of his recordings. His use with EMG's was mainly a live thing, probably because he was endorsed or something. Kill Switch Engage? Respectable guitarists? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also don't consider Kerry King that great. He wrote a lot of great riffs, but honestly, does tone really matter in thrash? Not much. Very few thrash bands actually have what I'd consider good taste in tone, I suppose.
Gold: 3,032.85
Jul 21 2009 11:01pm
Quote (wh0racLe @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 06:42pm)
:rofl:

it's obvious you don't know what you are talking about, every post you make in this forum is a giant facepalm.

Keep posting retarded shit with a ton of confidence. The people on this forum who actually know their shit, will continue laughing

i gotta agree
Jul 22 2009 12:18am
Quote (AlbinoBlackMan @ Wed, Jul 22 2009, 12:01am)
i gotta agree

zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jul 22 2009 08:32am
... Can we all agree on a few things here?

1. High quality passive pickups (Duncans, Dimarzio, Bareknuckle, etc...) will bring out the tonal qualities of better woods more so than active pickups will.

2. Active pickups generally provide higher output than passive pickups. This is not because they are better, but because there is an internal preamp used to boost the weak signal generated by the active pups.

Some people prefer active pickups, some prefer passive. I think the right passive pickup will sound a hundred times better than any active pickup, simply because I have mine in a mahogany guitar through a high gain tube amp. However, playing through an agathis guitar and a solid state amplifier, active pickups will actually sound much better than passive. It also depends on what tone you're going for...
Gold: 0.00
Jul 22 2009 10:11am
Any seymour duncan owns all EMGs
Jul 23 2009 12:52am
Quote (x]FoRsaKeN[x @ Wed, Jul 22 2009, 11:11am)
Any seymour duncan owns all EMGs

yea im going with dunans, but im gonna get a new amp first.
Gold: 6,050.23
Jul 23 2009 07:05am
duncans
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll