d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > I Wanna Start Sweep Pickin. > Where Do I Start?
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jun 17 2009 04:36pm
Quote (wh0racLe @ Wed, Jun 17 2009, 06:29pm)
:( I love yngwie.

Oh. Well, he plays a guitar extremely well, but I know a few people who have met him and they all say he's an arrogant prick.

Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Wed, Jun 17 2009, 06:34pm)
I don't understand why either of you are being so rude/hostile, I'm just explaining what I know to be the truth from experience. Maybe you're thinking of a different " mute " then I am, but I doubt it. If I can get a cam, I'll be more than happy to show you guys what I'm talking about, but I think I'd probably just receive more immature comments.

If you're using proper technique, you don't need to mute them. That's juvenile technique used by amateurs, no offense. Malmsteen does NOT mute his strings, he has proper technique. If you release the fret properly, and cleanly, it will come out clear. If you mute the strings, anyone who's played for a day or more could probably do it. I still maintain it's not a very difficult technique to learn and develop, it's one of the first ones I learned. I actually learned poiychording after sweeping, so I don't know why you guys think it's so hard. I think what you guys are calling " muting " is something entirely different than what you mean to say, so perhaps you should rephrase your comments before acting like an asshole to someone who hasn't done anything to you. Grow up.

I mean honestly, what do you think, that I'm bullshitting you about a guitar technique on a forum? Get real, drop your ego for a second.

You shouldn't be taking this personally, but muting is a crucial aspect of sweep picking. With your left hand, you should be preventing the 5 other strings from vibrating for each note you hit. If you have to do this with your right hand, your range of motion is limited. If you have developed proper technique, this should come naturally and you won't have to think about it. If you aren't muting, though, I can guarantee that it will sound like shit.

By poiychording, did you mean polychords? Because while it is a commendable aspect of music theory, there isn't much technique involved. It's more of a knowledge thing, so it isn't comparable at all.

This post was edited by Jebsus on Jun 17 2009 04:41pm
Gold: 3.00
Jun 17 2009 04:49pm
Quote (Jebsus @ Wed, Jun 17 2009, 03:36pm)
Oh. Well, he plays a guitar extremely well, but I know a few people who have met him and they all say he's an arrogant prick.

You shouldn't be taking this personally, but muting is a crucial aspect of sweep picking. With your left hand, you should be preventing the 5 other strings from vibrating for each note you hit. If you have to do this with your right hand, your range of motion is limited. If you have developed proper technique, this should come naturally and you won't have to think about it. If you aren't muting, though, I can guarantee that it will sound like shit.

By poiychording, did you mean polychords? Because while it is a commendable aspect of music theory, there isn't much technique involved. It's more of a knowledge thing, so it isn't comparable at all.

I wouldn't consider that muting, that's just playing cleanly, and is attributed to guitar playing in general, not just one technique. As for polychords, I'm referring to the fingering positions, not the knowledge. I find those more difficult than any sweeping I've encountered, short of some of Jason Becker's work, and some other really shreddy stuff. Muting a string is not the same as being able to lift your finger off without causing it to ring out, I've never heard that called muting anywhere, and I also frequent musician forums, so perhaps we're at a misunderstanding. Either way, I'm just trying to have a conversation, so you do and associated others think it might be possible to act your age on the internet while we do so, without the calling each other " e-thugs " and liars, and all that jazz.
Gold: 2.57
Jun 17 2009 04:58pm
You have to mute with your right hand also. I've never seen anyone who doesn't, unless you've got low gain/distortion

that goes for alternate picking also though

This post was edited by wh0racLe on Jun 17 2009 05:02pm
Gold: 0.00
Jun 17 2009 04:59pm
Quote (Gryph @ Tue, Jun 16 2009, 06:27pm)
No.

Actually he is right, you just obviously don't understand music at all.
Gold: 3.00
Jun 17 2009 05:06pm
Quote (wh0racLe @ Wed, Jun 17 2009, 03:58pm)
You have to mute with your right hand also. I've never seen anyone who doesn't, unless you've got low gain/distortion

I can assure you, I do not. The only time I do is when I'm doing 6 string arpeggios at a fast pace, since the lower strings are harder for me to get out clearly, but I'm working on it. Usually I play with quite a bit of distortion, not static of course, but enough for playing thrash/death. Muting with your palm deadens the tone, and takes a lot of the " cut " away, in my opinion. It's almost entirely about your fret hand, if you can master that, you needn't use your palm whatsoever. I think it can be a cool percussive effect to use, when you're using it in riff oriented fashion versus soloing material, I've heard tons of guitarists use it that way, and make it sound good.
Gold: 655.00
Jun 17 2009 07:20pm
I think everyone here is right... except the idiots.
Everyone has their own style to doing things.
It depends how you learned it etc etc...
I just wanted tips from everyone so I can try out different ideas to see which works for me.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jun 18 2009 03:17pm
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/124 <-- Good article about sweep pickin
I dont sweep pick, but a question for MakeMetalMusic---If you dont mute with the right hand, does this mean you mute with the left hand becuase i dont see how you can avoid unwanted noise from adjacent strings even with perfect technique if your not muting them
Gold: 3,032.85
Jun 18 2009 03:19pm
Quote (Jebsus @ Wed, Jun 17 2009, 02:36pm)

do you mean actual palm muting like for alternate picked riffs or gliding your palm up and down the strings while you sweep, because the latter doesnt limit your range of motion at all, its the same as floating your hand just lightly touching the strings
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll