d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Guitar Playing
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.04
Apr 18 2009 09:31am
Quote (montaresss @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 01:20pm)
thanks alot ;) I'll try all ur suggestions soon when i come home :) I know my technique sucks ^ and i'll try to time the songs better, i'll be taping my foot when playing from now on

Thanks for the feedback

Don't forget to improve on your timing -- I actually think thats what you need more practice on.
Gold: 2.57
Apr 18 2009 12:17pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 12:01pm)

There's nothing wrong with holding a pick "weird" providing it's comfortable and you aren't feeling any pain. Guitar is about a good technique, duh, but also about being comfortable and naturally flowing with the instrument.

Ya there really is. I held the pick the wrong way for my whole life up until maybe 4 months ago, I stopped and just practiced everything I know holding the pick the proper way, and now my playing is WAY more clean than it was before, not as fast, but much more clean.
Gold: 3,032.85
Apr 18 2009 12:18pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 04:01am)
Ignore the bitches telling you that you are awful, you aren't. You have grasped the basics, and all thats left is technique. May i suggest learning to alternate pick. It'll help you in Fear Of The Dark a hell of alot.

You aren't a pro, but neither are any of the other people on here so it's alright! :D I like the varying music aswell, gg

Edit - In Back In Black, try doing it like this

Code
--------0-0-0---0-0-0-------------
--------3-3-3---2-2-2-------------
--------2-2-2---2-2-2------------
-2------0-0-0---0-0-0--------------
-2---------------------------
-0---------------------------

That gets rid of that pointless high ringing note.

And another edit - Fair play at Come Clarity. When i first learnt that song, i really felt it was a milestone in my guitar playing, and you are much better than some of these fools are saying :)

And another edit - During Wild Thing, hows about playing chord | chord | wakkawakka | chord | chord | wakka | chord | chord | wakkawakkawakka | chord | chord

I hope that makes sense ^_^

There's nothing wrong with holding a pick "weird" providing it's comfortable and you aren't feeling any pain. Guitar is about a good technique, duh, but also about being comfortable and naturally flowing with the instrument.

:bonk: if we're saying it's bad then we are obviously better.

there are plenty of things "wrong" or limiting about how he hold the pick.

He uses the index and middle finger to hold it, so he can't hybrid pick, tap easily, or do other techniques

I'd suggest trying to learn to use the pick with only thumb and index fingers.
Gold: 4,883.80
Apr 18 2009 12:31pm
Quote (AlbinoBlackMan @ Sat, 18 Apr 2009, 18:18)
:bonk: if we're saying it's bad then we are obviously better.

there are plenty of things "wrong" or limiting about how he hold the pick.

He uses the index and middle finger to hold it, so he can't hybrid pick, tap easily, or do other techniques

I'd suggest trying to learn to use the pick with only thumb and index fingers.

Agreed, i can't hold the pick like that, but at the same time, we gotta bare in mind that this guy is getting a SHIT load of feedback, so one thing at a time.

I'll go with the rest here, change the way you pick first :)
Gold: 369,290.50
Apr 18 2009 01:25pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 01:31pm)
Agreed, i can't hold the pick like that, but at the same time, we gotta bare in mind that this guy is getting a SHIT load of feedback, so one thing at a time.

I'll go with the rest here, change the way you pick first :)

i do agree he picks extremely weird, but if hes comfortable with it let him.
he needs to getting time down before he should work on picking techniques.
its not all that important. for a lot of music people dont even pick its all tapping.
of course if he wants to sweep pick he will need to learn correctly how to hold it.
but obviously thats a long way.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 18 2009 02:33pm
Quote (lilpsychokilla @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 08:25pm)
its not all that important. for a lot of music people dont even pick its all tapping.
of course if he wants to sweep pick he will need to learn correctly how to hold it.

I think I'll maybe go to a few guitar lesson, not to learn songs, more for the timing, holding the pick right, technique and cleaness
Gold: 1.04
Apr 18 2009 03:33pm
Quote (montaresss @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 08:33pm)
I think I'll maybe go to a few guitar lesson, not to learn songs, more for the timing, holding the pick right, technique and cleaness

That would be a good decision -- personally I haven't taken any guitar lessons, but I've been learning music for a very long time -- and I think that knowledge has helped me some what in playing the guitar.
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Apr 18 2009 04:35pm
Quote (lilpsychokilla @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 03:25pm)

as a guitar teacher you're fine with letting a student hold a pick in a way that can have negatives effect on their playing technique?
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Apr 18 2009 04:51pm
Quote (ClanBK @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 10:35pm)
as a guitar teacher you're fine with letting a student hold a pick in a way that can have negatives effect on their playing technique?

that guy clearly doesn't know anything, ignore him.
Gold: 369,290.50
Apr 19 2009 03:32pm
Quote (sublime96 @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 05:51pm)
that guy clearly doesn't know anything, ignore him.

you just gtfo

Quote (ClanBK @ Sat, Apr 18 2009, 05:35pm)

i think you just contradicted yourself their bud.
every different style of picking has a negative effect on another.
as a teacher i tell my students to be comfortable with their style of playing before i teach them different ways to pick.
everyone starts out differently, different does not mean bad.
if people all played the same there wouldnt be alternate picking/ string skipping / sweep picking.
kthx
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll