d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Show Pics Of Your Gear! > Yeah
Prev1288289290291292340Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 7 2014 09:26pm
Quote (Burzum @ Aug 7 2014 05:11pm)
(Apologies beforehand for my shameless tl;dr Just took some adderall and am overly passionate about coming back to music again after a long, soulless, empty and depressed 5 years I spent without it.)

Mid 1970's Ibanez 'les paul' I guess around that era they were so accurate gibson filed some huge lawsuit and they had to discontinue the models. It was bought as a birthday present for my father back in '78 and he barely played on it for almost 37 years so I bought it off of him. Apparently my grandfather bought it used from a guitar shop at the time and the person who sold it to to the guitar shop was apparently fairly well known in the area. Odds are it's bogus but at that time Buzz Osbourne (Melvins) and Kurdt Vanderhoof (Metal Church) were playing and pretty active in the area (Aberdeen, WA). Kurt Cobain was way too young at the time and he didn't play on those type of guitars to my knowledge.

The odds aren't completely unrealistic as I see them both playing on guitars that look eerily similar, not claiming anything (at least not 100%) but my father is convinced it was either Buzz or Kurdt according to his 'sources'.

==

I just bought a capo, Elixers nanoweb (.010-.052's) and one of those Fenders 'luthiers choice' packs of polish and cleaner. I've only been playing guitar for hardly over a month so far but my basic knowledge of theory has really helped expedite my practice / improvement a lot faster than I anticipated. I'm a left handed writer but I played Bass right handed for many years. When I decided to start taking guitar more seriously It felt like writing with my opposite hand. I hardly ever used a pick with bass, but I never seemed to have any trouble my four finger coordination / slap etc.. However for guitar, things like artificial/pinch harmonics and even something as basic as string skipping / sweeping is an exciting challenge for me.

Mesas are fucking nice, the tube amps I'm assuming? Can you send me a link/pic to that eclipse or one like it? My soul feels a little crushed after hearing that you had to sell all that amazing equipment dude but you gotta do what you gotta do I can respect that.

It's the complete opposite with me music is my religion. I quit for 5 years out of depression / isolation with some psychological issues that I'm finally healing from. I literally transformed into a completely different person after I quit but the change was gradual and I didn't even notice until a few months ago when I was inspired to pick up music again after working with a group of local artists who are sponsoring some grunge mural for the downtown area. A Short time after I threw up a cheap set and hooked up all my old equipment and sort of remembered who I was as a person for the first time in over half a decade. At first I thought it was some strange mental regression but literally ever since I picked up music again everything in my life suddenly fell into place as if the stars aligned. My mind became clearer, my direction in life seemed less confusing and pathways started opening up all around me. Since I've been making significantly more progress financially and re-enrolled into college for the fall to take music theory and finish my degree. My social anxiety has almost completely passed and I'm in the process of writing a novella (for a concept album) and my old band from 11 years ago finally reformed. I'm a skeptic by nature and I gravitate towards a neutral agnostic position in regards to religion and in a way most aspects of life but if theres ever a time I feel a deep spiritual connection to everything around me it's when I practice music.

Wow, once again sorry for the irrelevant tl;dr... I probably sound like a self absorbed douchebag or something. Just felt like venting.

Anyways eric if you want to chat it up on skype or something shoot me a message. I'm much more chill than I used to be :)

That is some awesome history behind the guitar, very cool! It looked old and it looked too nice to be just a random guitar picked up somewhere haha :D. I also am left handed in everything I do, except guitar that is. I chose to play right handed because I figured my good hand would be better used fretting than picking. I do have pictures of all the gear I stated, but I have to dig through an old hard drive with all my pictures from high school and college. I'll get them together sometime soon and post them up.

I'm glad you're doing better man. It is quite an inspiration to hear how music has helped you deal with your personal issues. I had a hard time finding time to play music in college after the first few years, but I have finally finished! Graduated with a degree in philosophy and psychology this last May. Although, I don't feel any different at all and still feel like I'm missing something. Sadly, I have some nerve issues in my wrists from Starcraft (how pathetic), so I can't really play much as of yet, but I'm hoping to soon.

I'd be down to chat some time dude I'll see if I can find you on skype. I am much more chill than I used to be as well, but I must attribute much of that to the pot I've smoked over the past few years lol. That and philosophy can really change one's perspective and overall demeanor.

Don't feel bad at all XD, I read it all and appreciate you sharing. It's cool to hear the progress you've made and as I said before it is inspirational. I am glad things are falling into place for you man keep it up. Get that degree and keep on jammin' B)
Gold: 13,030.00
Aug 8 2014 10:01am
As drummer

Aug 9 2014 03:42pm
Quote (x]FoRsaKeN[x @ Aug 7 2014 07:26pm)
That is some awesome history behind the guitar, very cool! It looked old and it looked too nice to be just a random guitar picked up somewhere haha :D. I also am left handed in everything I do, except guitar that is. I chose to play right handed because I figured my good hand would be better used fretting than picking. I do have pictures of all the gear I stated, but I have to dig through an old hard drive with all my pictures from high school and college. I'll get them together sometime soon and post them up.

I'm glad you're doing better man. It is quite an inspiration to hear how music has helped you deal with your personal issues. I had a hard time finding time to play music in college after the first few years, but I have finally finished! Graduated with a degree in philosophy and psychology this last May. Although, I don't feel any different at all and still feel like I'm missing something. Sadly, I have some nerve issues in my wrists from Starcraft (how pathetic), so I can't really play much as of yet, but I'm hoping to soon.

I'd be down to chat some time dude I'll see if I can find you on skype. I am much more chill than I used to be as well, but I must attribute much of that to the pot I've smoked over the past few years lol. That and philosophy can really change one's perspective and overall demeanor.

Don't feel bad at all XD, I read it all and appreciate you sharing. It's cool to hear the progress you've made and as I said before it is inspirational. I am glad things are falling into place for you man keep it up. Get that degree and keep on jammin'  B)

I had a lot of wrist issues with sc2 as well, but some time after I quit they really stopped bugging me. Speaking of philosophy I'm writing a novella for a concept album thats in the works. I'm covering some modes of higher thought and I wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say about your opinions on some of the great minds in history. The premise of it is mostly about psychotic / schizophrenic mental conditions but I'm trying to put a twist on morality and perception for the character develpment. At the moment I need to refresh and learn more in depth about epicurian thought as well as macchiavellianism, nietzsche, a bit of marx for sociological elements to the story that will ultimately tie into the storyline to some degree. I don't expect anything amazing to come out of what I'm doing or whatever just having fun and trying to get creative. I would be excited even to hear you rant about your studies in philosophy and psychology even if it's something completely unrelated to my story. I haven't gotten my degree yet so I'm so I'm more or less a sponge still absorbing whatever knowledge I can acquire.

I just got Reaper and am about to purchase a license once I learn the software a bit so I can start on a short EP/demo. The goal is mid september, when It's finished I'll see about sending you a copy

I love that ibanez dude, the tones from the pickups have a great range and clearly have stood the test of time. I need to get it checked out by a luthier some time in the near future. I might get the bridge checked out, see how the truss rod is holding up; the full diagnostic etc. however even still after putting on some elixers and a bit of amateurish polishing work for the fretboard and strings I've been perfectly satisfied with it so far.

I tried to send you my skype infos but I can't message you (i think you have me blocked, lol). I'd post here but it's jsp etc.

Aug 9 2014 03:52pm
Quote (Burzum @ Aug 9 2014 04:42pm)
I had a lot of wrist issues with sc2 as well, but some time after I quit they really stopped bugging me. Speaking of philosophy I'm writing a novella for a concept album thats in the works. I'm covering some modes of higher thought and I wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say about your opinions on some of the great minds in history. The premise of it is mostly about psychotic / schizophrenic mental conditions but I'm trying to put a twist on morality and perception for the character develpment. At the moment I need to refresh and learn more in depth about epicurian thought as well as macchiavellianism, nietzsche, a bit of marx for sociological elements to the story that will ultimately tie into the storyline to some degree. I don't expect anything amazing to come out of what I'm doing or whatever just having fun and trying to get creative. I would be excited even to hear you rant about your studies in philosophy and psychology even if it's something completely unrelated to my story. I haven't gotten my degree yet so I'm so I'm more or less a sponge still absorbing whatever knowledge I can acquire.

I just got Reaper and am about to purchase a license once I learn the software a bit so I can start on a short EP/demo. The goal is mid september, when It's finished I'll see about sending you a copy

I love that ibanez dude, the tones from the pickups have a great range and clearly have stood the test of time. I need to get it checked out by a luthier some time in the near future. I might get the bridge checked out, see how the truss rod is holding up; the full diagnostic etc. however even still after putting on some elixers and a bit of amateurish polishing work for the fretboard and strings I've been perfectly satisfied with it so far.

I tried to send you my skype infos but I can't message you (i think you have me blocked, lol). I'd post here but it's jsp etc.

I'd be glad to help you out, I have quite a bit of experience with Epicurus, Nietzsche, and Marx. However, I don't know much about Machiavelli but I do have a book of his I could read. Sounds very interesting I'm looking forward to hearing about it. I checked all my block lists and if you were blocked before, you aren't anymore.
Aug 9 2014 04:09pm
Quote (x]FoRsaKeN[x @ Aug 9 2014 01:52pm)
I'd be glad to help you out, I have quite a bit of experience with Epicurus, Nietzsche, and Marx. However, I don't know much about Machiavelli but I do have a book of his I could read. Sounds very interesting I'm looking forward to hearing about it. I checked all my block lists and if you were blocked before, you aren't anymore.

cheers
Gold: 13.37
Aug 10 2014 04:02am
Quote (Burzum @ 10 Aug 2014 00:42)

You should look into Carl Jung, he was a psychologist who also studied/wrote about philosophy(he wrote some about nietzsche too), ancient myths, religions etc he also wrote much about stuff like schizophrenia(called Dementia Praecox at the time) and started out working in mental hospital dealing with severely ill people. If you look into archetypes(idea of Jungs) you get record full of material. While archetypes themselves are normal structures of human personality, they often come out in psychotic conditions and in kids the strongest. He also went into some borderline psychotic state himself and wrote a book about it with many picture illustrations of the archetypes and figures that haunted him, book is called 'the red book'.

I can remember one patient of jungs that might be interesting subject to a song. A girl who lived on the moon due to trauma induced psychotic symptoms: http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=58139 im sure you can find some longer story about it from google "'Why should I return to earth,' she wondered, 'this world is not beautiful, but the moon is beautiful and life there is rich in meaning..."

Anyways there is too much stuff about him to write it all, but you can get some idea here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung to see if its something you might want to look at.
Aug 11 2014 03:06am
Quote (Antichrist- @ Aug 10 2014 02:02am)
You should look into Carl Jung, he was a psychologist who also studied/wrote about philosophy(he wrote some about nietzsche too), ancient myths, religions etc he also wrote much about stuff like schizophrenia(called Dementia Praecox at the time) and started out working in mental hospital dealing with severely ill people. If you look into archetypes(idea of Jungs) you get record full of material. While archetypes themselves are normal structures of human personality, they often come out in psychotic conditions and in kids the strongest. He also went into some borderline psychotic state himself and wrote a book about it with many picture illustrations of the archetypes and figures that haunted him, book is called 'the red book'.

I can remember one patient of jungs that might be interesting subject to a song. A girl who lived on the moon due to trauma induced psychotic symptoms: http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=58139 im sure you can find some longer story about it from google "'Why should I return to earth,' she wondered, 'this world is not beautiful, but the moon is beautiful and life there is rich in meaning..."

Anyways there is too much stuff about him to write it all, but you can get some idea here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung to see if its something you might want to look at.

That is a great quote, I'll have to read the entire thing
Aug 12 2014 04:13pm
Boopity boop.
Aug 13 2014 04:23pm
Bump
Aug 14 2014 05:18pm
Bump
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1288289290291292340Next