d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > My 3 Favourite Guitarists
Prev1222324
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 221.20
Jul 16 2010 12:10pm
Quote (bobcs2)
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride & Joy. That is circular motion picking, think of it as intelligent fingerpicking as it plays Bass aswell as offbeat rhythms. If you STILL think it's a shredding technique, then you need to go back to your music school and demand your money back for not teaching you important information.

BWAHAHHAA.

You are a fucking moron. Oh shit, I better get my money back for my extensive knowledge of music theory and history because they didn't explain arbitrary guitar techniques that don't even have agreed upon names because they're so obscure and useless. Go find me a music school that even talks about fucking guitar let alone PICKING TECHNIQUES FOR GUITAR LOL GUTIAR 101 LETS TALK ABOUT PICKING.

If you're talking about something SRV does, then you're not talking about what everyone else is talking about. So this ends up being an issue of YOU using terms that aren't even mainstream or definite, and then acting like someone is an idiot when they don't understand you. "Circular picking" in the sense that it's typically used describes some roundabout form of alternate picking where you're just pivoting your thumb and index finger.

Do a google search on "circular picking". Read and weep. Now, if you would qualify the terms you attempt to use before you jump on someone's ass for not understanding you, in your own error, then you should go back to first grade and learn how to socially interact, you greasy metalhead fuck.

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jul 16 2010 12:19pm
Gold: 0.00
Jul 16 2010 01:28pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jul 15 2010 06:03pm)
DOES NOT AGREE, THEREFORE DODGING
I DONT LIKE HIS COMPARISON, SO IN MY IGNORANCE I MUST CLAIM THAT HE IS STUPID TO RETAIN MY FAITH IN SOMETHING INCREDULOUS AND POINTLESS.

Nice rage.

Quote (chronowarp @ Jul 16 2010 02:10pm)
BWAHAHHAA.

You are a fucking moron.  Oh shit, I better get my money back for my extensive knowledge of music theory and history because they didn't explain arbitrary guitar techniques that don't even have agreed upon names because they're so obscure and useless.  Go find me a music school that even talks about fucking guitar let alone PICKING TECHNIQUES FOR GUITAR LOL GUTIAR 101 LETS TALK ABOUT PICKING.

If you're talking about something SRV does, then you're not talking about what everyone else is talking about.  So this ends up being an issue of YOU using terms that aren't even mainstream or definite, and then acting like someone is an idiot when they don't understand you.  "Circular picking" in the sense that it's typically used describes some roundabout form of alternate picking where you're just pivoting your thumb and index finger. 

Do a google search on "circular picking".  Read and weep.  Now, if you would qualify the terms you attempt to use before you jump on someone's ass for not understanding you, in your own error, then you should go back to first grade and learn how to socially interact, you greasy metalhead fuck.

Nice rage paragraph, too bad I didn't read :(

This post was edited by Darkshade on Jul 16 2010 01:28pm
Jul 16 2010 01:33pm
this argument has deteriorated into just bickering

by the way, guitar techniques don't make good music. srv's picking technique being difficult doesn't make me like srv any
Gold: 4,807.80
Jul 16 2010 02:04pm
Quote (Derkaderk @ 16 Jul 2010 19:33)
this argument has deteriorated into just bickering

by the way, guitar techniques don't make good music. srv's picking technique being difficult doesn't make me like srv any

Its not meant to, my point has always been that it's a hard technique and a good technique to have. For rhythm. Again, for RHYTHM.

Chronowarp, got a girlfriend? No? Didn't think so. And yes, i am a greasy metalhead and i'm proud of it.

And here is some proof for you:
http://www.brightonguitaracademy.co.uk/

OMGNOWAY!! IS THERE REALLY NO MUSIC SCHOOL OUT THERE THAT TALKS ABOUT GUITAR?!

http://www.bimm.co.uk/

NO WAY ANOTHER ONE?!

This post was edited by bob(Cs2) on Jul 16 2010 02:10pm
Jul 16 2010 02:15pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Jul 16 2010 02:04pm)
Its not meant to, my point has always been that it's a hard technique and a good technique to have. For rhythm. Again, for RHYTHM.

Chronowarp, got a girlfriend? No? Didn't think so. And yes, i am a greasy metalhead and i'm proud of it.

NO WAY ANOTHER ONE?!

okay I'm aware it's for rhythm. I'm just curious as to why you mentioned it after you decided to discuss my disliking of SRV's music. What relevance did it have?
Jul 16 2010 02:25pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Jul 16 2010 08:04pm)

NO WAY ANOTHER ONE?!

Guitar schools= a joke, oh man. As a guitarist you should learn to accept that guitar is the red headed step child in all musical education & real musical situations. Schools that cater to guitar typically just perpetuate the ignorant guitarist syndrome. In other words, high focus on things that don't matter, little to no musical history, theory, knowledge, application, and even less about actually performing, interpreting and reading music.

Go to Juliard or U of Texas and find me some classes about guitar picking techniques, lol. TY. The point is this: it's utterly pointless to discuss such trivial things in depth, because your time is better spent learning to play fucking music and expanding your repertoire rather than focusing no how you can generate a little less pick noise and be slightly more ergonomic so you can shred with maximum $ return.

So your point went from "LOL CIRCULAR PICKING ISNT THAT" TO "LOL LOOK A SCHOOL THAT TEACHES GUITAR"? Come on, keep it consistent you greasy metalhead. You were wrong about circular picking, and an idiot for losing your reins over something you didn't qualify in your posts. Own up to it, and move on.

and yes, I have a girlfriend.

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jul 16 2010 02:31pm
Gold: 51,110.09
Jul 16 2010 09:17pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jul 15 2010 06:43pm)
The difference between Frank Gambale and JP is an issue of economy/alternate, and probably moreso an issue of tone.  Anything that requires more effort, but yields almost no distinguishable difference, and addresses something that isn't even a problem in the first place is a waste of time.

Not really. Frank Gambale has a MUCH smoother picking technique that, like he said in some interview, took 7 years to master. And the difference is more than distinguishable to my ears.

I agree with the bolded, but we strongly disagree on what is distinguishable here.

This post was edited by JesperIF on Jul 16 2010 09:20pm
Jul 17 2010 02:36am
Quote (JesperIF @ Jul 17 2010 03:17am)
Not really. Frank Gambale has a MUCH smoother picking technique that, like he said in some interview, took 7 years to master. And the difference is more than distinguishable to my ears.

I agree with the bolded, but we strongly disagree on what is distinguishable here.

Frank Gambales picking technique is just an issue of economy of motion. That's quite a worlds away from what we've discussing here, if I'm understanding you.
Gold: 51,110.09
Jul 17 2010 01:15pm
Not just motion, angle of the pick and attack strenght are different.
Jul 20 2010 02:14pm
Earl Scruggs
yngwie malmsteen

And Dick DAle
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1222324
Add Reply New Topic New Poll