d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Is It Too Late?
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 60.01
Nov 19 2010 02:57pm
Quote (natesucks @ 19 Nov 2010 22:41)
1. A good musician is someone who not only knows their instrument and the appropriate repertoire very well, but looks to other musicians within the session and plays off of them. They take their moment to shine, but don't self indulge. A good musician is someone who plays their instrument in a way that meshes appropriately with the other musicians they're playing with.

2. I am saying that his music is, well.. music. Yngwie is (for the most part) just a wank-off guitar player who can play a series of notes so fast that they are incomprehensible to the ear. His flamenco playing is almost insulting to traditional spanish guitar music.. he is a total douchebag who only loves himself.  Trying to compare a brilliant songwriter and musical personality to a pretentious, self-indulgent and pompous (musically, as well) "virtuoso" musician is absurd as it is, but in my opinion, Jimi Hendrix is (was) an ultimately better musician than Yngwie will ever be. 

You don't have to agree with me; you're entitled to support crappy "artists".

:)

I see your point of view in most parts.

I was surprised how well you got out the #1. I was expecting a lot less sophisticated answer, props for that. After reading your reply i realized you actually didn't write "being a shredder makes you a bad musician" :D
I've allways hated comparing musicians, but i've also allways hated mocking musicians. I dont see your point in mocking Yngwie just because "he's not your genre."
In this point i assume it to be appropriate to let you know, that i dont like Yngwies music (neither Hendrix's, so im being pretty neutral here). However, it seems like you are not familiar with
the concept of Yngwies music, for you dont (imo) seem to have a very objective point of view in reviewing Yngwie as a person or into his music...
Obviously i cant be sure, but i doubt that you would know him personally. Therefore "he is a total douchebag who only loves himself" is a kind of irrelevant argument. :P

I'm sligtly drunk, i will be reviewing this topic later. Cheers & peace :cheers:
Gold: 4,807.80
Nov 20 2010 07:19am
Quote (Rupsu @ 19 Nov 2010 17:27)

Are you saying that because Hendrix is more popular among mainstream, he is better musician?

I don't think so. I think his point is Hendrix is a better musician than Malmsteen. Malmsteen knows shred, he knows neo-classical shred, and he knows sweeping.

Hendrix knew nothing - invented chords, licks, phrases and a sound that is MUCH more distinguished than Malmsteens "lobble lobble lobbel lobble screeeee".

He also knew how to mix it up. He could use blues, rock n roll, pop, jazz among other things, and incorporate them once again into unique sounding music.

I think the true definition of Virtuoso is someone who revolutionises music in some way.
Gold: 23.00
Nov 20 2010 08:39am
Quote (Superchum @ Nov 13 2010 11:16am)
Wrong. 10,000 hours buddy, that's all it takes to reach virtuosity. And not everyone wants to be a virtuoso.

Hah, I've actually seen studies on this XD
Gold: 43.00
Nov 20 2010 12:35pm
well
Quote (Rupsu @ Nov 19 2010 08:57pm)
I see your point of view in most parts.

I was surprised how well you got out the #1. I was expecting a lot less sophisticated answer, props for that. After reading your reply i realized you actually didn't write "being a shredder makes you a bad musician" :D
I've allways hated comparing musicians, but i've also allways hated mocking musicians. I dont see your point in mocking Yngwie just because "he's not your genre."
In this point i assume it to be appropriate to let you know, that i dont like Yngwies music (neither Hendrix's, so im being pretty neutral here). However, it seems like you are not familiar with
the concept of Yngwies music, for you dont (imo) seem to have a very objective point of view in reviewing Yngwie as a person or into his music...
Obviously i cant be sure, but i doubt that you would know him personally. Therefore "he is a total douchebag who only loves himself" is a kind of irrelevant argument. :P

I'm sligtly drunk, i will be reviewing this topic later. Cheers & peace  :cheers:

well, thank you for aknowledging that!

i am very biased when it comes to yngwie, it is true. the way he comes off in interviews and clips is that of a total douchebag, and i dislike douchebags... so that explains my philosophy :P

cheers
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll