d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Im Looking To Start Playing Drums
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 11 2009 06:43am
Could allmost say that these are good for a starter =) http://www.thomann.de/fi/sonor_special_edition_505_stage_set.htm
Gold: 0.49
Dec 11 2009 11:14am
Quote (Verdena @ 11 Dec 2009 02:13)
I disagree both with the acoustic and the e-kit guys..
Obviously an acoustic kit is FAR BETTER than an e-kit..
But it's not true that someone who cannot afford an acoustic shouldn't start playing drums.
If you're good @ it you can even play with glass bottles and 2 knifes lol.
Yeah, an e-kit will never give to the drummer the "feeling" that an acoustic gives, but it's still a good instrument..
You shouldn't be so mad @ e-kits Eep even though acoustics are "better".. :p (obviously depends on price, as most of things in life)

I agree with you pretty much. Started playing the drums 6 months ago and since I am living in an apartment building, I would not be able to practise at home without an e-kit. It definitely does not feel as good as an acoustic kit does (playing on one when I take lessons), but it ain't that bad either. I got a TD-9KX here and replaced the KD-8 Kickdrum by a Jobeky 18" Drum and added a VH-11 with a real hihat stand.

The only downside is that you have to pay approx. twice the money that you would have to pay to get a similar acoustic set.

I think both e- and a-drums have their place and their advantages. An e-kit is simply great to practise at home. It is awesome for cover-bands which need to change their sound between songs, it is awesome in small locations because you can lower the volume easily, it is easier to record and to mix it for the sound technician and it is nice when the sound does not matter that much, but being able to setup everything quickly is more important (carneval, party music like on october fest).
Still, the sounds do not feel that natural or granuarily defined as an acoustic kit, playing an acoustic kit is more fun and the visual appearance on a rock show just doesn't fit.

Anyway: both got their pros and cons. The right tool for the right moment.
Gold: 7,065.69
Dec 11 2009 12:52pm
Quote (Eep @ 10 Dec 2009 23:01)
so hitting rubber is the same as hitting metal?

who said it was??

you can still do everything that you said

btw, all u guys that play electric guitars, u shouldnt play
cos its not acoustic

see where im going with this??
Dec 11 2009 12:58pm
Quote (hellohal @ Dec 11 2009 01:52pm)
who said it was??

cos its not acoustic

Wait wut?..
Aw fine, I'll throw away my ESP and go grab myself an acoustic.
Gold: 2.34
Dec 11 2009 01:01pm
"I" would practice on an electric kit.
Dec 11 2009 01:12pm
Quote (Darkshade @ 11 Dec 2009 18:58)
Wait wut?..
Aw fine, I'll throw away my ESP and go grab myself an acoustic.

i was joking ofc,

him saying you cant practice on electric kits is like saying you cant practice on electric guitars

you can still play electric kits live, i know quite a few people that do^
Dec 11 2009 01:40pm
Quote (hellohal @ Dec 11 2009 02:12pm)
i was joking ofc,

him saying you cant practice on electric kits is like saying you cant practice on electric guitars

you can still play electric kits live, i know quite a few people that do^

Don't worry I know, I was just adding a bit of sarcasm :P.
Dec 11 2009 01:56pm
Quote (Darkshade @ 11 Dec 2009 19:40)
Don't worry I know, I was just adding a bit of sarcasm :P.

:D

i dont even own electric drum kit

i just know from experience that there not 'that' bad

grooving on them is pretty fun imo^
Dec 11 2009 01:58pm
Quote (hellohal @ Dec 11 2009 02:56pm)
:D

i dont even own electric drum kit

i just know from experience that there not 'that' bad

grooving on them is pretty fun imo^

Only played drums 3 times in my life. Two times on an acoustic and once on a very good roland e-kit.

My opinion is that both are extremely fun to play, but I can understand that acoustic is way more realistic and feels way better, but it's not a reason to bitch on e-kits and just tell people not to pick up drums if they can't play an acoustic kit.
Gold: 1.00
Dec 11 2009 10:33pm
Quote (hellohal @ Dec 11 2009 01:52pm)
who said it was??

cos its not acoustic

Did you really just try to argue in favor of e-kits by comparing electronic/acoustic drums to electric/acoustic guitars? Lawl. Your comparison does not apply, in the least bit. There are acoustic drums, and electronic drums. There are acoustic guitars, electronic guitars, and electric guitars. An electronic drum kit is not the drum equivalent of an electric guitar, rather the drum equivalent of an electronic guitar (a guitar that emulates a guitar's sound by playing pre-recorded sounds as the instrument is strummed), here is an example of one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-EZAG-Self-Teaching-Electronic-Training-Guitar-102467248-i1275598.gc

A fundamental issue with the drumset is that it is inherently loud. Electronic drumsets were an attempt to remedy this problem, the volume can be adjusted (obviously), at the expense of tonal control (E-kits today have made great progress in emulating drumsets, however there is still no substitute for an acoustic drumset when it comes to wanting the feel and sound of a real set). Guitars are inherently quiet (as compared to drumsets), and don't necessarily need the electronic aspect to function. However much people are manipulating their tone with electric guitar setups, it must be remembered that electric guitar setups are simply an attempt to manipulate the initial tone provided by an acoustic sound from the guitar. Electronic drum kits, on the other hand, are an emulated sound from the start.

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Dec 11 2009 10:34pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll